Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Chariot

A simplified carriage and compound slide for a Schaublin 70

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Pudney17/01/2019 04:38:40
413 forum posts
16 photos

Some time ago I was fortunate enough to buy a Schaublin 70 turret lathe. It occurred to me that Schaublin proudly boasts that parts and assemblies are interchangeable, between, for instance their toolroom lathes and their turret lathes, so wouldn't it be a good thing to have a carriage and compound slide to use on odd occasions. So I looked around for a secondhand "Chariot a vis" (Schaublins terminology). The cheapest I saw was EU1,600 plus postage. So I thought "Crikey....I'll roll my own". Using data derived from on line drawings and manuals a series of drawings were produced, which represented a simplified but similar size assembly. Original features which were not incorporated are

1/ Pressure oiling, the original features a very complex network of oilways, all fed from a single point. Wonderful for a machine which is used a lot, but not so practical for occasional use.

2/ Taper gibs. Initially I couldn't see how to organise this. It wasn't until metal was cut that the penny dropped.

3/ The original used 6.5mm x 1.0mm trapezoidal thread leadscrews. I couldn't source appropriate taps and dies to do this, at least without eating for a year. So I used M6 x 1.0, I had to make 6 of them before I got two acceptable ones though!

So after about a year of drawing and machining it's almost finished, just a few odds and ends to do and it' ready to go. I have installed it on the Schaublin and it works quite well. All the machining was done on my Sieg C3 lathe and Sieg X2 mill. The four main bits were grey cast iron...Meehanite. The gib strips are silver steel, with pegs and lockscrews.

cheers

Bill

Edited By Bill Pudney on 17/01/2019 04:40:02

Thor17/01/2019 05:01:18
1102 forum posts
31 photos

Hi Bill,

I had a look in your album and the carriage and compound slide looks very nice, well done.

Thor

Michael Gilligan17/01/2019 07:29:25
13547 forum posts
586 photos

Very impressive, Bill

Obviously a labour of love [and great skill]

MichaelG.

roy entwistle17/01/2019 09:24:34
1005 forum posts

Should the lead screws not be left hand thread ?

Roy

Bill Pudney17/01/2019 12:29:02
413 forum posts
16 photos

Sorry chaps, should have mentioned the album...short term memory loss!! The leadscrew threads give the logical movement associated with the handle movement, i.e. clockwise moves the slide away, or forward. It took me a while to work out!!

cheers and thanks for the nice words!!

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest