Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Yet more confusion!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Hartland12/01/2019 22:30:41
2367 forum posts
38 photos

With an accurate compass you are lucky to make a landfall within 7 miles of your destination.

Of course with GPS, it is too small to measure. I wonder if, with all the iron ore that is excavated and shifted around the world it is affecting the magnetic status quo ?

Clive

pgk pgk13/01/2019 07:57:23
1215 forum posts
278 photos
Posted by Clive Hartland on 12/01/2019 22:30:41:

With an accurate compass you are lucky to make a landfall within 7 miles of your destination.

Of course with GPS, it is too small to measure. I wonder if, with all the iron ore that is excavated and shifted around the world it is affecting the magnetic status quo ?

Clive

..rather depends where you start. I used to make compass landfall flying over the channel pretty spot on but would doubt my ability to nail it transatlantic <g>

The best way to stabilise the magnetic pole is to decide exactly where we want it and build all the power stations there and wire everyone up along a line of longitude - Oh, and train pigeons to only fly North-South so the magnets in their heads doesn't pull the flux sideways. It's going to get a lot worse when all the cars are electric...

<exit stage left>

pgk

Clive Hartland13/01/2019 09:37:22
2367 forum posts
38 photos

So when it all, 'Pops' will it be like one of those balloons that you blow you up and let loose and it flies everywhere making a loud , 'Wheeeeeee' sound.

Clive

Neil Wyatt13/01/2019 09:40:38
15223 forum posts
648 photos
72 articles

Interesting article.

Michael Gilligan13/01/2019 11:52:08
12306 forum posts
538 photos

By sheer serendipity, I found this at the bottom of a storage box today:

prime meridian.jpg

It was supposedly protecting a little book about John Harrison, purchased in June 2010

A premonition ?

MichaelG.

Mick B113/01/2019 11:52:56
828 forum posts
48 photos
Posted by Mick Charity on 12/01/2019 16:50:11:

We have never enjoyed a stable climate.

We have never enjoyed a stable political system.

We have never enjoyed a stable economic system.

What have we ever enjoyed that could be classed as stable?

It's because engineers keep finding ways of doing stuff better and easier. The resulting technical changes are then copied worldwide, and everything changes.

It's our fault, so stop moanin'. laugh

John Haine13/01/2019 13:35:28
2255 forum posts
130 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 12/01/2019 17:25:03:

Now we have GPS for navigation does it matter much if your compass drifts around a bit?

Mike

As the poles flip, the magnetic field decays then builds up in the opposite direction if we're lucky. But it's the earth's field that stops us being bombarded with cosmic rays, so in the process we'll be thoroughly irradiated. GNSS satellites will be toast too, just as well we won't be able to go anywhere!

Neil Wyatt13/01/2019 13:49:56
15223 forum posts
648 photos
72 articles

Satellites can service cosmic rays if they are built right - consider any interplanetary probes. It just adds to the cost.

Hopefully if the human race gets sufficiently irradiated we will mutate and evolve into something intelligent...

Neil

Clive Hartland13/01/2019 16:32:27
2367 forum posts
38 photos

So, what you are saying is that as the Solar radiation increases all humans and plants, Flora and fauna will be roasted/irridated as if we were on a roasting spit? Me, i will start digging.

One way to reduce the world population and it's needs.

Clive

Ed Duffner13/01/2019 17:03:57
706 forum posts
61 photos

It's probably the LHC causing destabilisation of the earth's magnetic field. wink

J Hancock13/01/2019 17:15:49
249 forum posts

From the old axiom that, ' move anything and the centre of gravity of the world changes' , I do wonder if the

spin axis has moved by the loss of the Aral Sea,Three Gorges project and many more big civil jobs in

the last two centuries. Coreolis effect and all that.

Mick Charity13/01/2019 17:41:00
322 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by J Hancock on 13/01/2019 17:15:49:

From the old axiom that, ' move anything and the centre of gravity of the world changes' , I do wonder if the

spin axis has moved by the loss of the Aral Sea,Three Gorges project and many more big civil jobs in

the last two centuries. Coreolis effect and all that.

I used to think that the world revolved around ME. It doesn't of course, that's just me being silly. Of course it revolves around the Sun . . . . Which shines out of my @r53

CHARLES lipscombe13/01/2019 21:33:27
70 forum posts
8 photos

If the worlds climate does reverse with the reversal of the poles, there seems little cause to worry. In Europe you will then be able to enjoy a typical Australian Christmas, stuffing yourselves with turkey and hot mince pies at 30+C, getting sunburnt at the beach and bitten by mosquitoes. You will then also be able to enjoy another Australian custom, the so-called Irish Christmas which has the usual accoutrements of Christmas but is held mid-winter in June.

Chas

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
méridienne Nov 18
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest