Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Powerline question

Twisted pair to uninsulated singles

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
pgk pgk11/01/2019 09:48:12
1323 forum posts
278 photos

I'm curious as to why this choice was made. I have a three phase line running at the bottom of home field. For the house supply two wires go to a pole transformer and then a run of twisted pair to the next pole then it splits into 2 single uninsulated wires for the next three poles before becoming a single cable from the last pole into the house. I'd never really paid much attention to it until last week when a pheasant made a navigation error and fried itself shorting out the bare pair (and blowing the transformer fuse).

I'm guessing that cost prohibits a single insulated wire being used (diameter/resistance?) but why the change from a twisted pair to bare wires or indeed the use of a twisted pair to begin with? Safety for folk working on the transformer?

pgk

Martin Connelly11/01/2019 10:09:46
845 forum posts
95 photos

Were they all put in at the same time? Methods, regulations and materials change with time so some parts may be to later regulations. Old setups may be left untouched until a repair is done at which point the latest regulations will apply.

Martin C

pgk pgk11/01/2019 10:42:49
1323 forum posts
278 photos

Good point. No changes in my time but possibly before. Thanks

pgk

not done it yet11/01/2019 10:55:13
2931 forum posts
11 photos

Is this UK, US, Ca, Fr, or etc? Maybe only turkeys in US/Ca?

Stuart Smith 511/01/2019 11:18:31
29 forum posts
6 photos

Posted by Martin Connelly on 11/01/2019 10:09:46:

Were they all put in at the same time? Methods, regulations and materials change with time so some parts may be to later regulations. Old setups may be left untouched until a repair is done at which point the latest regulations will apply.

Martin C

As Martin says, it is most likely that the line all the way from the pole transformer was originally bare wires but that work on the high voltage line (or at least the transformer pole) has been carried out later. Possibly refurbishment / replacement which would include replacing the low voltage wires with insulated Aerial Bunched Conductor (ABC) at that pole. The rest of the low voltage line could have been replaced at the same time, but cost or company policy or technical constraints may have meant that the minimum was done.

Stuart

pgk pgk11/01/2019 18:52:29
1323 forum posts
278 photos

I believe the above speculation is the correct answer. I had a closer look at the poles today while walking dog and the transformer pole is newer looking than the others.

Thanks guys,

pgk

Bazyle11/01/2019 23:53:36
4542 forum posts
184 photos

I have a mixture coming up the road even though they replaced the poles a week before Christmas. The pole replacing crew was obviously not the line replacing crew. The telephone line also runs on the same poles but in a couple of places for no apparent reason they left the old pole to still carry that and put a new one in only for the electricity.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest