By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

copper boiler with dents

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gerard Hengeveld09/01/2019 18:28:29
2 forum posts

Hello from Canada , Happy New year to you all.

I am new to this board and have to start with a question. Do you gent's have a inspiring idea how to remove a few small dents from the copper boiler ( stuart 504 ) I was thinking heating the dented area and shock cool it . Wrong / or stupid ? please tell me.

Gerardthinking

John Paton 109/01/2019 18:49:15
128 forum posts
6 photos

I have not tried to remove dents from a boiler but ....

If the dents aren't too bad how about soft soldering a stud onto the dent and use that to pull back the dent then unsolder the stud and gently planish back any 'proud' areas and sand off any solder residue? ( a bit like the technique used to pull out dents in car bodywork)

John

fizzy09/01/2019 18:58:13
1552 forum posts
104 photos

I make boilers for a living...I dont repair other peoples boilers but when I have had occasion to pul out a dent I do exactly as JP describes, you can get a car body dent removal tool off eyba cheap then machine a plug out of brass, soft solder to copper and pull out with near perfect results.

Nigel

Pendle Steam Boilers

Neil Wyatt09/01/2019 19:45:31
15581 forum posts
652 photos
73 articles

Welcome to the forum Gerard.

Neil

John Olsen09/01/2019 20:56:46
934 forum posts
86 photos
1 articles

If you want to anneal copper, you don't need to shock cool it. Just bring it up to red heat (Locally around the dent will do) and let it cool naturally. It goes very soft and nice to work.

John

Jeff Dayman09/01/2019 20:57:32
1402 forum posts
37 photos

After pulling the dent, by whatever means, I'd suggest doing a cold hydrostatic test to twice the working pressure according to the manufacturer, to verify the boiler's strength and that there are no hidden cracks or defects at the ends or along the dent, or elsewhere on the boiler as a result of it.

Just my $0.02 worth. Standing by for the usual disagreements and complaints.

duncan webster09/01/2019 23:00:06
1908 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by John Olsen on 09/01/2019 20:56:46:

If you want to anneal copper, you don't need to shock cool it. Just bring it up to red heat (Locally around the dent will do) and let it cool naturally. It goes very soft and nice to work.

John

If it was silver soldered initially it probably won't need softening. It might be worth just pumping it up as it is (with water of course) and seeing if the dent pings out

Gerard Hengeveld09/01/2019 23:41:31
2 forum posts

A BIG thank you for all your advise .

In due course I'll let you guy's know the outcome.

Sincerely,

Gerard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest