By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

axle box lubrication

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SomersetSimplex09/01/2019 08:37:35
8 forum posts

I've got a 5" Simplex, and want to fit lubrication pipework for the axle boxes. The obvious solution is a lubrication box on the front of each side tank, with a pipe to each axle box. Question is what size of pipe to use - is 3/32" sufficient?.

Is there an alternative approach to gravity - i.e. concealing a oil nipple somewhere ( say inside the box mentioned above) so that I can pump oil into bearings, rather than rely on gravity?

Any suggestions appreciated.

David Wasson10/01/2019 00:28:14
124 forum posts
33 photos

Hi Somerset,

Yes, 3/32" will work fine for oil lines if the I.D. is about 1/16". The K&S 3/32" copper tube works fine for oil lines. This is what I used on my Super Simplex. There are no provisions for oil line placement in the drawings, so, you have to use your own imagination. Although the general arrangement shows oil boxes on the front side of the water tanks,

I used small oil cups mounted between the boiler and running boards. A separate cup for each main bearing and one to drip oil into a cup on the axle pump eccentric. The difficult bearings to get to are the ones under the fire box. I mounted oil cups for these in the cab, making the oil lines a bit simpler than if they came from a cup further forward on the loco. In the bottom of each cup is a small punching of wool felt, this keeps the oil from running all out of the pipe. Once the pipe is filled with oil, two drops in the cup will cause two drops out of the end of the pipe. Gravity feed works fine. The pipe should protrude a bit from the inside bottom face of the horn block, otherwise the oil will go everywhere rather than dripping into the "cup" on the top of the axle block.

If you make a "box" rather than cups, make a separate oil cavity for each delivery. That way you can know if each line is delivering oil. If it is one large reservoir in the box, you will not know if some lines are delivering more or less than another.

I am in the process of painting my loco this winter. Part of the painting project is to finish some of the last details, this includes creating a formal oil system. I hope the photos will help suggest a solution for you.

dscn1773 - reduced - 5.jpg

dscn1780 - reduced - 4.jpg

dscn1786 - reduced.jpg

Edited By David Wasson on 10/01/2019 00:29:16

SomersetSimplex11/01/2019 21:55:10
8 forum posts

Many thanks David, really helpful, good point about separate chambers in the oil box.. Gavin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest