Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Work holding and boring

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Murrell08/01/2019 10:19:55
12 forum posts
2 photos

Looking for some advice!

Attached are two images - one of my progress with a Hemmingway kit for the Wyvern engine, and one of the same items somewhat further ahead than me.

I am unsure how to go about making the circular hole in the left hand end! It's about 5" long and I don't have space to mount that vertically in the mill. (I have a Warco WM14 mill and 180 lathe).

Regards, Kevin

capture-1.jpg

capture.jpg

Emgee08/01/2019 10:35:07
1040 forum posts
197 photos

Hi Kevin

Not familiar with the 180 cross slide but it may be possible to fix an angle plate to enable the part to be fixed so the hole position is at centre height and then drilled and bored on the lathe.

Emgee

Kevin Murrell08/01/2019 10:49:04
12 forum posts
2 photos

Hadn't even thought of that! Many thanks.

mechman4808/01/2019 11:26:37
2249 forum posts
378 photos

Might I suggest that you place a silver steel rod into your crank bearing housing location & use a DTI on your 'Y' or 'Z' axis, whichever way you have it set up to check you are running co-axially to the casting centre line & at 90* to the front face before you bore it out, if you get my drift.

George.

JasonB08/01/2019 11:48:46
14859 forum posts
1490 photos

Best option is to pack it up on the cross slide so that the cylinder and crank positions are on the lathes ctr line. You can then bore the cylinder hole and face off the end of the casting in on setting using a between ctrs boring bar or boring head followed by a fly cutter.

Then swing the casting around 90 degrees, clock the previous surfacet rue then drill and bore the bearing holes with a between ctrs bar.

If you have the height it is a good idea to bolt the casting onto a rectangular piece of steel flat then you have some nice square edges to set true.

If you don't habe the height from the cross slide then you will need to use an angle plate, the steel mounting plate really comes into its own here

Kevin Murrell08/01/2019 13:51:02
12 forum posts
2 photos

Perfect - many thanks.

Kevin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest