Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

RDG or Myford ER32 collet set?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Turvey06/01/2019 20:12:27
16 forum posts
7 photos

Whats the difference between the RDG and Myford ER32 2-20 mm 18 piece collet and collet chuck sets? Apart from some £30 in price they look very similar. The former is described on the website as Myfiord thread and the latter for small bore Myfords like mine. So not sure which one to get.

Chris Trice06/01/2019 20:27:57
1362 forum posts
9 photos

I'd look at a Vertex set. Mid range price but excellent quality.

Edited By Chris Trice on 06/01/2019 20:28:19

Emgee06/01/2019 21:26:39
1272 forum posts
210 photos

Hi Peter

The RDG Myford ER32 chuck and collet set has a backplate that screws direct to the spindle and a collet chuck that bolts to the backplate, this allows work to pass through into the spindle bore.

The other chuck has a MT so fits into the spindle and no doubt requires a drawbar for security in use. The length of rod inserted will be limited to slightly longer than the collet.

My choice would be the backplate fitting type as once fitted to the chuck it would just need screwing onto the spindle and be ready for use.

Emgee

John Haine06/01/2019 22:17:07
2698 forum posts
138 photos

Now I'm confused. RDG I think own Myford. So is there a difference?

You can get ER32 chucks that have a taper, such as MT2 or MT3 or R8 and fit into a taper socket typically for holding milling cutters. Not very good on a lathe for workholding because (a) you can't pass material through into the h/s bore and (b) because of the overhang.

Much better on the lathe as emgee has said is the type that fits on to a backplate that screws on to the spindle nose. This minimises the overhang and lets material pass through. Depending on your lathe either ER32 or 40. My S7 is the big bore type and I went for ER40 from Myford before they went bust. I tend to use it more that 3J or 4J chucks.

Marcus Bowman06/01/2019 22:22:33
162 forum posts

+1 for Vertex. Mine have served me well.

Marcus

Peter Turvey06/01/2019 22:41:36
16 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by John Haine on 06/01/2019 22:17:07:

Now I'm confused. RDG I think own Myford. So is there a difference?

You can get ER32 chucks that have a taper, such as MT2 or MT3 or R8 and fit into a taper socket typically for holding milling cutters. Not very good on a lathe for workholding because (a) you can't pass material through into the h/s bore and (b) because of the overhang.

Much better on the lathe as emgee has said is the type that fits on to a backplate that screws on to the spindle nose. This minimises the overhang and lets material pass through. Depending on your lathe either ER32 or 40. My S7 is the big bore type and I went for ER40 from Myford before they went bust. I tend to use it more that 3J or 4J chucks.

John thanks for your comments, Both sets have backplate fitting chucks, hence my confusion.....is the price difference just rhe Myford name I wonder?

John Haine07/01/2019 10:24:32
2698 forum posts
138 photos

Almost certainly! I can't see a backplate fitting chuck with c/w collets on the RDG site? You could also get an ER32 chuck with backplate fitting from Arc and make your own backplate.

Peter Turvey07/01/2019 12:52:44
16 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks, here are links to the RDG site

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/ER32-COLLET-CHUCK-MYFORD-THREAD-WITH-FULL-COLLET-SET--2PC-SET--4353445.html

Funnily enough, I can not find the small bore collet chuck and collet set on the Myford site now. My Ipad shows it but the PC does not! Think it may be picking up an old cached version of the Myford website.

All is now explained, thanks all for your feedback.

ronan walsh07/01/2019 13:57:54
539 forum posts
32 photos

I bought an er32 r8 taper collet chuck from rdg in november. It was marked myford. On inspection it seemed ok apart from the nut was stiff on the body of the chuck. The first time i used it was holding an edge finder. Found the edge and swapped for an end mill, 4 or 5mm in diameter. Took the cut and went to change to a larger tool, the nut slackened off a quarter turn and siezed solid.

I took the whole thing out of the machine and sent it back to myford. After about a week i emailed them and they told me the reason it seized was i did not know how to use it, the collet had sprung in behind the nut, which couldn't be removed, and they were returning it to me at a cost of £13 !.

Despite the myford name, i reckon they are the usual Indian tat, the nut and the body of the chuck were similar in hardness, galled and seized.

I won't be buying anything with the myford name on, and no more from rdg.

Buy a vertex, or a good, european, american or japanese brand, or see if you can find one second hand on ebay or here.

Peter Turvey12/01/2019 09:49:53
16 forum posts
7 photos

Thank you for your comments everybody ; in the end I bought a RDG Myford collet set and backplate fitting chuck. I checked out Vertex suppliers but found that the collets alone were nearly twice the price of the RDG set. Not justified for my very occasional use. The RDG set is giving a runout of between 0.0005" and 0.001" seemingly depending on collet size, The taper in the collet chuck seems to be is running with about 0.0003" runout, I see from other threads that the collets themselves should have a .0005" accuracy.

Some of this may be due the backplate itself having a small runout as it does not seem as snug a fit on the spindle nose as my chucks.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest