Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Raglan training lathe value?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
not done it yet21/10/2019 11:48:46
3475 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by Hollowpoint on 21/10/2019 10:03:33:

The Loughborough was my first lathe! If you can live without screw cutting it's an absolutely brilliant little lathe. It's very rigid and the build quality is excellent. It has good spindle capacity and they are cheap! When you consider the other crap in the same price bracket it's a steal.

Agreed, but not really in the price bracket indicated by the OP. smiley One can buy a good 5” for that sort of money!

Hollowpoint22/10/2019 09:22:33
225 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 21/10/2019 11:48:46:
Posted by Hollowpoint on 21/10/2019 10:03:33:

The Loughborough was my first lathe! If you can live without screw cutting it's an absolutely brilliant little lathe. It's very rigid and the build quality is excellent. It has good spindle capacity and they are cheap! When you consider the other crap in the same price bracket it's a steal.

Agreed, but not really in the price bracket indicated by the OP. smiley One can buy a good 5” for that sort of money!

Yes I meant in the same price range of the Raglan. Usually sub £300.

not done it yet22/10/2019 10:05:48
3475 forum posts
15 photos

Hollowpoint,

Just check out eBay item number: 264473526961 for £300

Auction a month ago and withdrawn - probably sold outside epay. Don’t know what it may have gone for, but if space was available, I would go for one like this (given no drastic faults) - variable speed, twice the power, 1/3rd to 3x the rpm, screw cutting, power feed on both axes, QCGB, auto trip on carriage long travel and an extra 10” of space between centres.

IMO, unless under £150 the training lathe is not particularly good value versus a decent Little John, let alone a 5”!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest