Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Practice facing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Harrison03/01/2019 23:12:43
38 forum posts
11 photos

practice facing 2.jpgI spent a good 4 hours today just going through my HSS tooling that came with my lathe to see what works for facing of, i did manage to get a better finish at the end but I'm wondering if its possible to do better..
here two pictures of the setup that i found the best and the tool that i used, please any input that would help let me know

Adrianpractice facing1.jpg

Adrian Harrison03/01/2019 23:13:52
38 forum posts
11 photos

and yes my poor lathe does need a good clean and paint which I will do this summer when the weather is warmer

Barrie Lever03/01/2019 23:26:46
130 forum posts
32 photos

Adrian

That looks like a brazed tip carbide tool not HSS, nothing wrong with that though.

What is the material?

Unless there is something horribly wrong with the lathe I am fairly sure you will get a better finish than that that.

Are you in Canada?

Regards

Barrie

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 03:40:25
38 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Barrie Lever on 03/01/2019 23:26:46:

Adrian

That looks like a brazed tip carbide tool not HSS, nothing wrong with that though.

What is the material?

Unless there is something horribly wrong with the lathe I am fairly sure you will get a better finish than that that.

Are you in Canada?

Regards

Barrie

Hi Barrie yes I am in Canada and its cold rolled steel so probably not the best metal to use

Thor04/01/2019 05:19:46
1021 forum posts
23 photos

Hi Adrian,

Brazed carbide tipped tools may need to be sharpened to get a good finish, you can use a "green wheel" to grind the cutting edges and then I use a diamond hone. This improved my brazed carbide tipped tools. If you have some HSS tools they can be sharpened with an ordinary wheel on a bench grinder and honed afterwards. As you say, cold rolled steel may not be the best metal to turn, try and get some freecutting steel. When facing you should ideally increase the speed as the tool approaches the centre of the work, so if you have a DC motor or a 3-phase motor with inverter just adjust the speed.

Thor

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 05:52:21
38 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Thor on 04/01/2019 05:19:46:

Hi Adrian,

Brazed carbide tipped tools may need to be sharpened to get a good finish, you can use a "green wheel" to grind the cutting edges and then I use a diamond hone. This improved my brazed carbide tipped tools. If you have some HSS tools they can be sharpened with an ordinary wheel on a bench grinder and honed afterwards. As you say, cold rolled steel may not be the best metal to turn, try and get some freecutting steel. When facing you should ideally increase the speed as the tool approaches the centre of the work, so if you have a DC motor or a 3-phase motor with inverter just adjust the speed.

Thor

Hi Thor.. I do have a diamond hone that i have been using to sharpen HSS tooling that came with my lathe but did not sharpen the carbide one i tried. it didi give me the best finish today as it was
i have an older 1924 lathe with on and off switch for the motor and thats all the motor has

Hopper04/01/2019 07:20:14
3286 forum posts
58 photos

It might help a little bit if you slide the tool back into the toolpost a bit. More overhang = more flex = poorer finish.

I've found my old Drummond works best with HSS tooling sharpened to a very sharp edge with a lot of top rake on the tool. Ie, "knife tool". Never had much luck with carbide on the Drummond. Seems to work better on the Myford 7 with stouter headstock bearings and spindle.

not done it yet04/01/2019 08:43:24
2639 forum posts
11 photos

As Hopper. That tool may be rigid but any excess overhang presents a larger leverage on the rest of the machine.

The ideal cutting point would be directly above the centre of the carriage and bed - but not really achievable. As close as possible to the ideal is the best we can do and the further away is “less betterer”smiley

The lighter the lathe, the more important these things become. With more-worn lathe parts, little things become even more important....

Hopper04/01/2019 08:51:30
3286 forum posts
58 photos

Yes, it looks like you could move the topslide back over the cross slide a little bit more too. And ensure the topslide is retracted to where it's on solid base wherever possible. Every little bit helps on these old machiens. Keep the cutting edge of the tool just ahead of the leading edge of the cross slide so the cross slide does not hit the chuck.

Edited By Hopper on 04/01/2019 08:52:55

roy entwistle04/01/2019 10:10:28
930 forum posts

Try starting in the centre and work out

Roy

colin hawes04/01/2019 14:41:33
479 forum posts
18 photos

Keep HSS tools very sharp and with plenty of clearance rake at all cutting edges. I find that industrial recommended rake is too little for the sort of work we usually do. Colin

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 16:18:53
38 forum posts
11 photos

would this be classed as a knife edge? I did try a google but did not really find any info

so i should keep the top slide over the cross slide as possible and keep the tooling as short as possible..
i had read that HSS tooling is best for the speeds of this lathe and i will get a bench grinder fro home as the only one i have access to is at work..

lathe tooling .jpg

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 16:25:44
38 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Hopper on 04/01/2019 08:51:30:

Keep the cutting edge of the tool just ahead of the leading edge of the cross slide so the cross slide does not hit the chuck.

Edited By Hopper on 04/01/2019 08:52:55

so the cutting edge is just sticking out over the edge? i was wondering if i should turn too holder 90 degree to face the part I'm facing off

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 16:27:35
38 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by roy entwistle on 04/01/2019 10:10:28:

Try starting in the centre and work out

Roy

I was thinking about this as i think it may put less side loading on the workpice

Niels Abildgaard04/01/2019 16:47:34
191 forum posts
40 photos

Your tool post system is too soft and cutting edge probably not very sharp.

See what can be done on a small lathe(Boxford) .

A picture of lathe will be helpfull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeFLeNPhqDY

Edited By Niels Abildgaard on 04/01/2019 16:48:27

Edited By Niels Abildgaard on 04/01/2019 16:49:50

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 17:22:15
38 forum posts
11 photos

how do you mean too soft?

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 17:24:46
38 forum posts
11 photos

that lathe in the youtube clip looks amazing

Tim Stevens04/01/2019 17:54:26
983 forum posts

Adrian - if you look closely at your tool clip you can see a bright line where the edges meet. This is where the light is reflecting off a rounded surface, ie not a sharp edge. Any tool which shows this effect on the business edges could benefit from sharpening.

Cheers, Tim

Adrian Harrison04/01/2019 18:12:19
38 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Tim Stevens on 04/01/2019 17:54:26:

Adrian - if you look closely at your tool clip you can see a bright line where the edges meet. This is where the light is reflecting off a rounded surface, ie not a sharp edge. Any tool which shows this effect on the business edges could benefit from sharpening.

Cheers, Tim

do you mean all the lines on he face?

Tim Stevens04/01/2019 18:22:28
983 forum posts

No, Adrian, the shot of the tool on its own, where the text begins 'would this be classed as a knife edge'

The edges I refer to are really the surfaces of the top face and the ground side you can see. For some of the edge there is no reflected light, but this is behind the cutting end, and shows what a sharp edge should look like.

Hope this helps

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest