Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What Did You Do Today 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Haine31/12/2019 22:02:04
2902 forum posts
149 photos

I've posted a couple of photos of my clock project, and today finally after nearly 360 days since acquiring some of the bones of a Synchronome I installed the clock in its new case on our kitchen wall.

img_20191231_182057399_hdr.jpg

Not a wonderful photo I'm afraid. The clock keeps the gravity arm and the basic chassis, but the arm is reset by a cam driven by a stepper motor. Pendulum is sensed by an opto interrupter (you can just see a little white blob which is the mounting for it below the pendulum). Swings are counted by an Arduino Nano which drives the stepper. Most of the dial is used but driven by another stepper rather than the original electromagnet. I had to make a new pendulum using a carbon fibre rod and cast iron bob since the original was missing - also a new pallet.

Pendulum is impulsed every 40 swings = 80 seconds rather than the original 30 since it doesn't have to drive a count wheel, and the dial impulsed once every 9 seconds. Main reason to use stepper motors was to make the clock much quieter than the standard 'Nome.

The case is made from Valchromat, a sort of engineered MDF using Melamine resin - woodword is not my forte but it's turned out OK. Though I have the original case it's not in great condition and anyway I wanted more space to reduce pendulum air loss.

Before installing in the case the clock was keeping pretty good time over quite a long period, but I anticipate quite a lot of regulation as its new home is warmer and the pendulum amplitude will be a bit less. Now I can think about the next project!

not done it yet31/12/2019 22:36:29
4167 forum posts
15 photos

Wellll, I just removed the table (with power feed) from my Centec 2B. 2 man job, really - according to Dave SOD - but easily accomplished even with no bench space (and not much floor space either).

I was going to remove it and the cross slide as one piece, but was not able to get the cross slide gib out. Nearly sorted that and I expect to get it out tomorrow, then set about the feed screw nut, which needs attention.

Not far off the weight of a mini lathe, possibly more I think.🙂 So not too bad for an over 70 with a quad bypass.

old mart31/12/2019 22:39:40
1249 forum posts
115 photos

I reversed the house phone connection as the incoming supply has moved from one side of the living room to the other. The wiring around the skirting, under the carpet across a door frame was too much for me to change, but looking through my many phone cables and changing one end plug, with a check first with a meter, it works, hooray and a happy new year to all.

Steviegtr31/12/2019 22:52:46
804 forum posts
182 photos

20191231_223123.jpgStripped the lathe ready for new belts & an inverter/3ph motor.

20191231_223116.jpg

Edited By Steven Edwards 1 on 31/12/2019 22:53:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest