Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What Did You Do Today 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt10/12/2019 09:58:36
17970 forum posts
709 photos
77 articles

Nothing too exciting! Fitting a motorised focuser to a telescope I found that despite it supposedly fitting this model, holes in the bracket wouldn't line up.

The joy of having the right bits - I unscrewed the 'upstand' from the two-part aluminium bracket, milled 3mm of its length. The screw holes were already deep enough and fortunately I have the M2.5 taps needed to extend the thread in them.

End result looks just like the original, except it fits

Neil

Lainchy10/12/2019 10:35:35
246 forum posts
95 photos

....Your deep sky images are superb Neil. Have you done any planetary? My days of standing outside in the cold are long gone, although I gave up on deep sky imaging with my ToUCam (going back a bit). I used to live near Drayton manor, which was quite dark, but all the metalwork from the rides used to heat up during the day, and then distort the night sky as it cooled. Not too bad when taking a series of short exposures planet wise, but useless for long exposures.

Boiler Bri10/12/2019 20:54:48
835 forum posts
197 photos

A few weeks ago i bought a drive for the traverse on my Warco WM18 milling machine. This evening i got around to fitting it.

Typically Chinese. I tried to follow the sparse instructions which amounts to a rubbish sketch and a few lines of instruction.

The winding handle is removed and the yellow casting at the end of the bed. This allows another supplied casting to be fitted. OOPs we don't mention you will have to drill the casting to be able to mount the new end casting. And just for the jest you can only use two of the four mounting holes as two of them half align with existing holes. There are two new dowel hole to be drilled as well, sorry we do not supply the dowels either! Did i mention there is no way of aligning the new casting while marking out the new holes?

Any how i managed to get it to fitted and working. At first i thought i had miss aligned the gears that mesh together under the unit as it was very noisy, so i removed it ran it on the bench. Not good, the thing sounds terrible. If anything it sounded better back on the machine than off.

I then proceeded to fit the centre switch that stops it when it hits a striker. This fitted ok - no bolts supplied and more tapped holes. The stops, slide in a small groove on the front of the table, this is after you have made them fit. The angles of the slide blocks and the track is different!!

I tested it stops the motor which is does, but only when you press the opposite side to the travel ! DOH. This i can change the wiring on but it look to me like its made to be mounted the wrong way up which would switch the handing but then you would have the switch box protruding up above the bed. Not much cop i think?

I also have some spare bits which are not listed and god knows what there for?

I would also question the CE marking as the gears are exposed underneath the table and a nice finger trap.

Warco would be advised to put together a pamphlet of how to fit one of these units and to look into the CE marking side by supplying a cover for the gears.

I know there sold on a budget, but safety is paramount, is some one looses a finger end in the gears they will end up with a claim.

828ad3a1-ab62-43a5-8708-5108aeb44ca9.jpeg

Nice finger trap

e001c32e-f80b-4011-a055-88b5099240d9.jpeg

Ian Johnson 111/12/2019 09:24:53
271 forum posts
81 photos

Been busy making new brass bushes for steel rollers on a 116 year old heritage steam boat I'm volunteering on. The rollers guide the steering bars on the port and starboard side. New M16 bolts were supplied, chrome molly! Tough stuff! which I have drilled through for a grease nipple. Should get them all finished this week.

20191209_232611.jpg

Ian

Robert Butler11/12/2019 15:35:16
151 forum posts
6 photos

Bri the power feed supplied for my Super Lux Mill by Chester has a plastic guard for the drive gear which resembles the black plastic trough and may be one of the spare bits. Mine was held in place by two sided tape - supplied?

Does this help?

Robert Butler

Boiler Bri11/12/2019 19:24:08
835 forum posts
197 photos

Hello Robert, There is a trough in the parts. There is no way its a guard though if its fitted with double sided tape. It would not cover all the moving parts anyway. It would also need cutting to shape as well. No tape supplied.

I have the feeling that mine had been to someone and been returned for some reason. The paint on things was a bit chipped and scuffed?

Bri

Speedy Builder511/12/2019 20:20:33
2026 forum posts
144 photos

Good Lord, METRIC bolts on a 116 year old steam boat ! I hope she is a continental boat and that you are not mixing whitworth with metric.

BUT good on you for preserving historic 'ships'.

BobH

Robert Butler11/12/2019 20:54:31
151 forum posts
6 photos

Dear Bri send me a PM and I will forward images of my installation and a copy of the fitting instruction which are very clear. I didn't have to drill any holes.

Robert B

Ian Johnson 111/12/2019 22:13:20
271 forum posts
81 photos
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 11/12/2019 20:20:33:

Good Lord, METRIC bolts on a 116 year old steam boat ! I hope she is a continental boat and that you are not mixing whitworth with metric.

BUT good on you for preserving historic 'ships'.

BobH

It was overhauled some years ago and some metric nuts and bolts found their way on board! I'm the new boy on deck so I'm slowly finding out the quirks. Apparently there are some hand made nuts and bolts where you need three different size spanners to undo! I did notice a few five hole flanges too!

The port engine LP piston has been inspected and is being reassembled, and we will be steaming in the new year for next years excursions.

Ian

Nigel Graham 212/12/2019 00:22:41
667 forum posts
15 photos

Very Best Wishes for the project, Ian, and many year's successful excursions!

I doubt the mixed, hand-made fastenings are original at all but replacements at some time, possibly made by the boat's owners or crew from whatever was available. I think if the boat was built in Britain the correct sizes would be standard and consistent BSW, but possibly with the original hexagon proportions.

Five-hole flanges are unusual, but not ever so rare.

ISO_M sizes though.... Shakes head sadly...

Neil Wyatt12/12/2019 12:52:15
17970 forum posts
709 photos
77 articles
Posted by Lainchy on 10/12/2019 10:35:35:

....Your deep sky images are superb Neil. Have you done any planetary? My days of standing outside in the cold are long gone, although I gave up on deep sky imaging with my ToUCam (going back a bit). I used to live near Drayton manor, which was quite dark, but all the metalwork from the rides used to heat up during the day, and then distort the night sky as it cooled. Not too bad when taking a series of short exposures planet wise, but useless for long exposures.

Thanks, yes I like a bit of planetary imaging, although they've been rather low in the sky of late. Here are a few from 2018.

Venus Mars Jupiter Saturn

Neil

Neil Wyatt12/12/2019 12:57:25
17970 forum posts
709 photos
77 articles
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 12/12/2019 00:22:41:

Very Best Wishes for the project, Ian, and many year's successful excursions!

I doubt the mixed, hand-made fastenings are original at all but replacements at some time, possibly made by the boat's owners or crew from whatever was available.

ISO_M sizes though.... Shakes head sadly...

In another 100 years they will be just as much part of the boat's history as the handmade replacements, and someone will be commenting that they probably reflect a refit in the late 20th century...

Neil

mechman4812/12/2019 12:57:45
2687 forum posts
421 photos

Bri, did you get the unit from Warco or Chester's as it seems to be in Chester's colour scheme. I would have queried the chips & scuffs first off, as you say it may have been a returned unit ?

George.

Trevorh12/12/2019 14:23:11
302 forum posts
87 photos

Hi George, Bri

I purchased the same unit from Warco and they only come in White/cream, its the same company that supply's both outlets,

Bri, have a look at my album where I fitted the same unit onto my WM 16 and had similar issues but it does work well and yes it is slightly noisy but that's because of the poor quality of the gears - seem to be different profiles and dont mesh as they should

for me its not an issue as I dont use it frequently to be a problem - one day I will make my own gears and throw the supplied ones away

if you want a spare end plate casting I have it put to one side as I never used it or the other parts like the trough and the centre stop assembly

cheers

Trevor

John Haine12/12/2019 15:05:38
3160 forum posts
171 photos

Don't you get corrosion mixing Whitworth and Metric in a marine environment? wink

Lainchy12/12/2019 16:56:24
246 forum posts
95 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 12/12/2019 12:52:15:
Posted by Lainchy on 10/12/2019 10:35:35:

Thanks, yes I like a bit of planetary imaging, although they've been rather low in the sky of late. Here are a few from 2018.

Venus Mars Jupiter Saturn

Neil

Cracking Neil! Very nice

Ian Johnson 112/12/2019 19:07:52
271 forum posts
81 photos
Posted by John Haine on 12/12/2019 15:05:38:

Don't you get corrosion mixing Whitworth and Metric in a marine environment? wink

And for giggles those grease nipples on the end of the M16 bolts are 1/8" BSP laugh All good fun!

The boat is kept alive by the hard work of the volunteers. If I can help out with my small workshop equipment I will do my best.

The boat is the 'Daniel Adamson' moored not far from me on the River Weaver. I don't think they'll mind if I give it some publicity.

20191212_153859.jpg

Ian

Andrew Johnston13/12/2019 12:34:11
5549 forum posts
650 photos

At last! I've finally finished making the wheels for my traction engines. Having completed the last rear wheel I was able to measure the real axle length and machine to the scribed line:

facing rear axle.jpg

The drawing says the rear axle is 30" but check on the work. The real axle is a tad over 28", so gawd knows where 30" came from. I also fitted the key for the final drive gear, made from 5/16" keysteel:

rear axle key.jpg

Fitting was handraulic, using files and wet 'n' dry. The slot in the axle is pretty much bang on size. The slot in final drive gear needed some filing as I ground the slotting tool a couple of thou undersize. Here's the engine assembly with the straked rear wheels:

engine_assembly_13122019.jpg

Note the other set of wheels under the table, ready to go off to have rubber tyres fitted. Paper chimney fitted too! That was to check the pattern. Seems to be a fairly good fit; but it's bound to need some fettling on the job. I've got the sheet steel for the chimney and the job for this afternoon is to cut to rough sizes the four 2m x 1m sheets of steel (3mm, 2mm and two times 1mm thick) that are stacked up down the side of the bungalow. I think Burrell often used cast chimneys, but I have a picture of a full size engine with two rows of rivets on the chimney. So obviously using an internal strap. That's what I plan to do; saves making a fixture to form a joggle in the chimney before rolling.

Andrew

JasonB13/12/2019 13:13:00
18278 forum posts
2022 photos
1 articles

Happy to see you have removed the frost spikes since I last saw your rear wheel! You will have to invest in a couple of those car skates to make sure the strakes don't damage the floor when you need to move the engines about.

Frances IoM13/12/2019 15:32:32
778 forum posts
26 photos
Will it actually fit through the door from its present home?

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest