Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What Did You Do Today 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane22/11/2019 11:33:08
307 forum posts
70 photos

I watched your video last night very simple device and so easy to use.

tractionengine4222/11/2019 12:26:51
365 forum posts
105 photos

Thanks Derek

Glad you liked the video, not sure why the link in my post isn't working, but you've solved the problem. Unfortunately I can't get back in to the post to edit it.

I've used it with a toolmakers vice, (which has all the sides flat and square with each other), to accurately move the work in both X & Y directions.

Thanks Again

Nigel

Edited By tractionengine42 on 22/11/2019 12:31:34

Derek Lane22/11/2019 12:45:13
307 forum posts
70 photos

Your welcome Nigel it was just that I subscribe to your u tube channel as I enjoy watching your Lion build.

Cornish Jack22/11/2019 21:46:05
1041 forum posts
140 photos

Not today but yesterday - JUST in time for intended recipient's arrival! Intended as a memento of a 'mature' first solo and the aircraft plus the Naca 43012 aerofoil which supported him! He was very surprised and seemed pleased. Yes, that is intended to be a 'Black Box'! The whole thing just developed from a quite different original idea and generated more problems than almost anything I've done previously!

All construction materials from offcuts/ scraps/Os&Ssetc. No skill or ability for engraving, so made a waterslide transfer for the plaque.

img_0412a.jpg

img_0414b.jpg

Definitely not one to repeat!

rgds

Bill

Ian Parkin23/11/2019 11:42:02
727 forum posts
184 photos

I was in the audience for the question time special broadcast on Friday night live and I was the first questioner very nerve wracking ...

geoff walker 123/11/2019 14:39:14
374 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Ian,

I heard your question and I was not surprised by Corbyns answer.

I mean, come on how would he know how to cut an unlisted thread on Colchester student lathe?

That was you, was it?

Ian Parkin23/11/2019 14:59:51
727 forum posts
184 photos

Yes Geoff it was I

only knew 5 mins before who the questioners would be

Andrew Johnston23/11/2019 16:10:45
5196 forum posts
599 photos
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 23/11/2019 14:39:14:

I mean, come on how would he know how to cut an unlisted thread on Colchester student lathe?

Should have specified a LH thread. smile

Andrew

John Hinkley23/11/2019 16:39:42
821 forum posts
269 photos

Getting to the end of the manufacture of the gear dogs for my gearbox and realised I'd misread a drawing and needed to cut off another slice of 65mm bar. Unfortunately I'd only got a short length left. Mounted it in the bandsaw and started to cut it. Halfway through, it cocked over and ruined the cut. I should have known better! A little head scratching over lunch and I came up with the solution pictured below:

cut-off bodge

Luckily, I already had a blank of the same diameter partially machined and mounted on an arbor, ready for the next stage. I drilled and tapped the "bad" end 10mm and screwed the arbor into this, mounted it in the bandsaw vice on a parallel as shown and, hey-ho, stable as you like. Set the bandsaw going and before long, I had my new blank. Quite satisfying. I might even be able to get another out of it by placing plates along each vice jaw to extend their reach. Hopefully I won't be making any more mistakes and the scrag end can go back into the scrap box.

John

not done it yet23/11/2019 17:11:42
4167 forum posts
15 photos

JH,

Is your vise jaw set fully across to the right side? It looks like there was quite a lot of adjustment available, looking at the space between the washer and the left end of the jaw. It looks like there is another 20-25mm of jaw adjustment?

Edited By not done it yet on 23/11/2019 17:12:13

Robert Butler23/11/2019 17:22:22
110 forum posts
1 photos

Its as far across to the right as it will go! Robert Butler

Robert Butler23/11/2019 17:22:26
110 forum posts
1 photos

Its as far across to the right as it will go! Robert Butler

John Hinkley23/11/2019 17:39:33
821 forum posts
269 photos

Ndiy,

Robert was right. Twice!

John

Journeyman23/11/2019 18:42:44
734 forum posts
120 photos

I found it helped on the CY90 saw vice to remove the jaw face from the fixed jaw and fix it to the smaller swivel jaw making them both the same length.

sawvice.jpg

It also helps to add a jack screw to the left side of the swivel jaw so that you can hold short ends without packing, just adjust the screw.

John

Neil Wyatt23/11/2019 19:41:10
17366 forum posts
690 photos
77 articles
Posted by Journeyman on 23/11/2019 18:42:44:

I found it helped on the CY90 saw vice to remove the jaw face from the fixed jaw and fix it to the smaller swivel jaw making them both the same length.

sawvice.jpg

It also helps to add a jack screw to the left side of the swivel jaw so that you can hold short ends without packing, just adjust the screw.

John

Wonder where you got that idea from

Neil

Journeyman23/11/2019 19:51:09
734 forum posts
120 photos

Can't remember but definitely not original thinking.

John

Nicholas Farr28/11/2019 22:35:51
2122 forum posts
1027 photos

Hi, today I finish off making a couple of tap extensions, these are not a typical design as I've made them to fit the tap shank snugly and two screws bear onto two opposite flats.

cimg2759.jpg

A hole was drilled into one end of a piece 7/32" silver steel rod, about 22mm deep, which is a close fit to the tap shanks and then a hole was drilled crosswise about midway to where the flats on the taps are and were treaded 2mm. Two very short 2mm screws were then fitted into these threaded holes, the screws being salvaged from an old computer hard drive. The pieces of steel rod were then held in a four jaw fitted to a rotary table on my mini milling machine with the opposite end to the drilled hole outwards and resting in a "V" block about 12mm from the end of the rod, a bar, crossways to the rod and just behind the "V" block to prevent it from lifting out. Then using the rotary table, four flats were milled onto the rod end, for use in a conventional tap wrench.

cimg2754.jpg

cimg2755.jpg

The reason for making these can be seen in the photo below.

cimg2758.jpg

cimg2756.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 28/11/2019 22:45:12

John Hinkley29/11/2019 12:00:59
821 forum posts
269 photos

As a break from the seemingly endless production of gear blanks and gear engagement dogs, I decided to add a little embellishment to the end of the input shaft of the gearbox. Having messed up the splines once when the cutter broke (my fault!), I turned up a sleeve and Locted it to the shaft. Partially to disguise the join, I've added a concave radius like this:

Adding a bit bling

As an aside, you will notice that the cutter is slightly modified from that described on Steve Bedair's site on which it is based. That is to say, I didn't like the way the body was mounted directly onto the base, so I introduced a "thrust bearing" of sorts - actaually a caged ring of ball bearings from a bicycle steering column - and to prevent any rocking motion it also rests on four brass pads. I've tried to take a photograph to illustrate this, not very successfully. The end resuly is a smooth angular motion that gives a good finish. The lathe has to be run in reverse for the cut shown in the first photograph, so not suitable for some chuck attachment methods without extreme caution and VERY light cuts.

You can just about see the ball cage and brass pads in the photo below:

radius cutter detail

I've also made the insert holder double sided, which extends the range of radii availble for cutting.

John

mechman4829/11/2019 17:49:25
2587 forum posts
392 photos

Yesterday actually; Had a play with my new toy, a mini belt sander sold on Banggood ( usual disclaimer ) at a very reasonable price, early Xmas gift to oneself … devil … used it to sand away some excess from my beam engine frames, does a nice job so far.

mini sander (1).jpg

mini sander (2).jpg

George.

Nigel Graham 229/11/2019 22:34:26
520 forum posts

Completed a special 2-roller fairlead for a cave-"digging" project I was involved in a for a couple of years or so.

"Digging" in this context means removing umpteen thousands of years' worth of naturally-accumulated sediments and rock falls ( small boulders in this case) choking the passage, to find what lays beyond.

The difficulty was that manually hauling buckets or rocks up a shaft ate pulleys for breakfast. After I'd made yet another simple sheave running on the shank of a "through-bolt" masonry-anchor, I realised the problem was firstly the relative positions of everything meant the rope is pulled at a low angle to the line of the bolt; and secondly, the crew would do nowt about it a sticking sheave until the muddy rope had lapped a bloomin' great groove in it and the bearing bush!

So, a 2-roller fairlead, which I will deliver tomorrow with advice on how I intend it being installed, and a bag of assorted spare washers, spacers and building shims so it can be screwed to the irregular rock wall by the original and a second, through-bolts.

The rollers are of Nylon with a wearing surface cut from a piece of scaffold-tube. The horizontal one runs on the shank of an M10 bolt also helping hold the vertical roller's column to the assembly together, the vertical roller is on a spigot on that column, retained by a threaded thrust-washer and Nyloc nut: the rope has to be hooked over this twice per raising/lowering operation.

The frame is a confection of bits cut from structural-steel sections, and accuracy is not of the essence so don't look too closely.

Making the stainless-steel thrust-washer was an experience. My generic Taiwanese band-saw spent literally hours cutting a slice from some 2.5" dia. bar. Luckily the unknown grade proved nice to machine, on the Myford 7, but parting-off was a matter of low speed and lots of lubricant for the insert-tool in the rear tool-post.

Still, modifying another stainless disc for a spacer for mounting the fairlead, I ran the lathe fast with an insert-type boring-bar, and a brush of lubricant, perfectly well.

(Incidentally, I have found it misleading that carbide inserts "have " to be worked at high speed. They can be: they are made for such duty industrially, but I find they give as good or indifference finishes as HSS, on the same material, at modest speeds. I suspect the operator, well, this one, first!)

++++

Tried to use the two rollers at right-angles as an exercise in trying after a long lay-off in despair, to tackle the problem of 3D modelling in TurboCAD. I had drawn them orthogonally, for future spares reference; but isometric CAD is a black art indeed. Luckily TurboCAD does not need it as a preliminary to the 2D workshop drawings, as Fusion and Alibre appear to need.

Failed, but did start to determine how the different classes of "solid" react to simple moves like changing their sizes. Sometimes trying to increase the height of a figure, moves it instead, so I endeavoured to find the (or any) pattern in such behaviour.

++++

For the geologists among you...

The cave, called Spider Hole, lies in the upper reaches of Cheddar Gorge, and has formed in the almost-vertical plane of a strike-slip fault in one of the anticlines forming the Mendip Hills. It contains so far known, two sizeable chambers resulting partly from fault-brecciation, partly from dissolution by percolation water. An area of the lower chamber has been marked with plastic tape to protect the pristine breccia floor and some unusual concretions, from being trampled.

A small inlet in the lower of chambers, on an end wall displaying the brecciated fault-plane, has deposited calcite. Another small inlet appears in the shaft where the fairlead will be installed. The water feeds the Gough's Cave River, not visible in the show-cave but emerging in the artificial lake opposite the cave entrance

The shattered rock has dropped down the fissure as dissolution creates voids to permit this; hence the digging being a slow process of manually moving possibly some hundreds of tons of shattered limestone and stacking it further up the cave, which is predominantly vertical. Where necessary the rocks are stabilised with mortar to give climbable sections but with minimum impact on the cave's natural appearance.

Some units of the Carboniferous Limestone are highly fossiliferous, with a lovely mass of coral at the foot of the shaft.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest