Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

What Did You Do Today 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin King 210/11/2019 13:04:34
619 forum posts
229 photos

Hi All,

Decide yesterday to have a bit of lathe practice and turn an old brass plumbing fitting into a watchmakers oil dribbler.

martoil 1.jpg

martoil 2.jpg

Bored out the inside of the fitting and faced the ends, then cut 2 discs to just fit in the ends leaving a really small gap for soft solder to run. Tapped one end 5/16 BSF then soldered on the ends and clean up in the lathe.

Can't see the joins!

Used a couple of small scraps to make the cap and needle. Turned the needle taper as close as I could and finished off with a needle file.

A simple task but for a newbie like me a confidence builder!

Cheers, Martin

Derek Lane10/11/2019 14:58:06
222 forum posts
56 photos

Not so much metalworking but I did need to sort out my draw that I keep my micrometres in as two of them don't have there own box well the 0-2" did have a metal box mut was falling apart. So rather than have them keep knocking about I decided to make an insert for them.

The base is lined with a swatch that you find in shops I had a complete book of them and kept only those that I thought would come in handy for small projects. A little piece of mahogany a router and they now have a nice place to keep them secure.

draw insert (1024x768).jpgdrawer insert 1 (1024x768).jpg

Edited By Derek Lane on 10/11/2019 15:00:02

Nigel Graham 210/11/2019 21:25:23
427 forum posts

Fine work there, Martin and Derek, there.

My work today was more on the heavy and rather somewhere-near side, continuing to install rails for a light-weight over-head travelling-hoist in the workshop. By setting up the rails and their columns first, I'll have something I can at least use with a scaffolding-pole and block-&-tackle until I've designed and made the travelling beam and crab.

I foresee its main use will be for handling the rather heavy chucks for the Harrison lathe: being short and not as strong as I was, changing screw-on chucks is a bit iffy for both machine and I when done entirely manually.

I've also a small Denbigh horizontal mill to re-commission, and both a motor conversion and quill service on the Myford mill, to consider; with lifting-gear likely to be very useful for these.

Mark Rand10/11/2019 22:36:09
789 forum posts

Did a productive job in the shed today! I painted the dining room radiator. Unfortunately, that meant that I couldn't do anything else in the shed for the rest of the day in case I raised some dust. crying

Anthony Knights14/11/2019 07:31:11
286 forum posts
109 photos

Today (well actually it's yesterday now) I decided to see if I could repair a quite old, but good quality ink jet printer, which has been stood around for ages doing nothing. Tried a test print and sure enough, the heads appear to be blocked. A look on the internet showed the correct sequence to dismantle far enough to remove the cartridge holder with the print heads. Did my best to avoid getting blathered in ink, without success. Cleaned up everything and appear to have successfully unblocked the print heads. Water with a bit of detergent seems to remove the ink from everything except my skin. Swarfega had limited success and the only way to get my hands fairly clean was to use a Brillo pad which I presume removed the top layer of skin cells. Printer is now re-assembled and I am expecting a new pack of ink cartridges to be available later today.

thaiguzzi14/11/2019 10:05:42
590 forum posts
131 photos

Martin & Derek;

simple but nice work. Congrats.

Ron Laden15/11/2019 05:53:45
1426 forum posts
245 photos

It was yesterday actually we were in the town and passed the 3 mobile shop so as a long standing customer popped in to see if I could have a free upgrade to a new phone, no problem sir and after 20 minutes walked out with a new £400 phone. We had a coffee in M&S and as we were leaving and standing at the top of the stone stairs the wife asked to see the new phone she was admiring it when she dropped it and I watched it bounce down 12 steps to the bottom. It was wrecked the screen was smashed and wouldn't work, I went back to 3 but I hadn't taken out any cover so had to buy a pbone. I didn't spend £400 but they did me a good deal on another model which is still street's ahead of my old phone. The wife is still upset over it despite my telling her not to worry about it in fact the new one seems to be nicer to use and the camera is excellent so not all bad. 

I know I know it was a bit stupid handing the wife the phone at the top of the stairs

Edited By Ron Laden on 15/11/2019 05:57:44

Edited By Ron Laden on 15/11/2019 06:15:45

Edited By Ron Laden on 15/11/2019 06:16:24

V8Eng15/11/2019 07:46:54
1323 forum posts
28 photos

Ouch really sorry to hear it she will take a long time to get over that!

If you are any where near a Timpson store take the damaged phone in to them for an estimate I found .surprisingly low Repair  costs.

I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied customer and many other repairers are available.

Edited By V8Eng on 15/11/2019 08:17:35

Journeyman15/11/2019 08:25:30
622 forum posts
97 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 15/11/2019 05:53:45:

... dropped it and I watched it bounce down 12 steps to the bottom. It was wrecked the screen was smashed and wouldn't work, I went back to 3 but I hadn't taken out any cover so had to buy a phone.

Ron, worth checking your household contents insurance, the phone may well be covered on that.

John

Ron Laden15/11/2019 08:41:12
1426 forum posts
245 photos

Thanks V8/John

I will check our contents insurance to see if it is covered.

Ron

Derek Lane17/11/2019 18:30:44
222 forum posts
56 photos

I received this Depth Micrometer after putting a bid on E bay for the grand total of £22.60 but felt that the box needed tidying up before putting it in my toolbox.

The first is the before and the second after with a new piece of sponge in the lid to hold everything in place as well as some bits of felt where all the components sit. This was after a cleanup and reseal the wood.

Depth mic before

Depth mic after

Emgee17/11/2019 18:41:02
1249 forum posts
210 photos

Quality tool, bargain price, nice looking box.

Emgee

The Novice Engineer17/11/2019 21:23:58
49 forum posts
22 photos

Finally found an easy way of making gaskets for small steam engines, though took all day to get a useful sample. The original engine was not made with CNC but by hand with holes not quite lining up with my precision made bits !

img_20191117_205751_hdr.jpg

A laser cutter -engraver with a 2 watt [how do you check the power ?] laser,

img_20191117_205810_burst_02.jpg

I used Fusion 360 to create the drawing and the G-Code, that was then copied to LaserGRBL , 4 passes and the gasket dropped out of the sheet. smiley Now I can mass produce them ! Though I only wanted 2

Edited By The Novice Engineer on 17/11/2019 21:24:54

duncan webster17/11/2019 23:29:30
2255 forum posts
32 photos

That's an easy way?? 5 minutes with a craft knife and a punch would have made 2 gaskets. But there again I am an old ****

mechman4818/11/2019 19:13:20
2509 forum posts
375 photos

Made some mods to my Clarke 4" x 6" band saw yesterday. I was cutting out the frames for my latest project, a beam engine, as owners know the band saw table is nowt but a flimsy bit of 1.5 mm sheet steel with an indent to fit a fence on one side, also inherent is the gap in the plate where the blade travels through so all the cuttings can fall in between the guide rollers which won't do them any favours in any way. It was on my toduit list but as we all know that gets left 'toduit later' so as later has arrived I sorted through some of my stock to stiffen it up.

I found apiece of 3mm aluminium that I had for another project that has gone by the wayside so what better to use. A couple of simple measurements later & I had the right size to fit under the table in the larger section. How was I going to fix it I sez?, a bit more rooting around & I found 4 x 2 BA countersunk screws doing nowt so they were pressed into service. I decided to go a bit OTT with the securing so used some 2 part metal epoxy mix & stuck the aluminium plate to the plate. When dried ( overnight ) I drilled through the original c/sunk holes, plus adding another 4 2 BA tapped holes & tapped the aluminium plate 2 BA. After careful measuring I slotted the assembly to the centre line long enough to match the original fixing screws set up.

Not a great mod but it certainly made a much better support for the band saw, no more flexing table !. I know there are some members have described making tiltable tables but I didn't want to faff on with some thing complicated when I didn't need to; saying that I s'pose this mod is now a mod to mod later … back to the toduit list.

band saw table mods 1.jpg

band saw table mods 2.jpg

With aluminium plate fixed the risk of any small pieces falling down between bottom guide rollers is virtually eliminated ...

band saw table mods 3.jpg

I'll probably fit a small piece in to bring table flush around the blade but as said … toduit list... 'mod a mod'

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 18/11/2019 19:14:30

mechman4818/11/2019 21:20:31
2509 forum posts
375 photos

Ooops …  Double posted.

Edited By mechman48 on 18/11/2019 21:21:42

Edited By mechman48 on 18/11/2019 21:22:30

Neil Wyatt19/11/2019 19:15:39
16668 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

All you neat storage buffs put me to shame!

Not today, but yesterday, went hillwalking just north of Calander, managed eight miles and had unbelievable still, clear weather so despite it being very cold, I still worked up a sweat at times!

Just went up a big hill, not those lovely Trossachy bits at the back!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest