Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

What Did You Do Today 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
IanT28/07/2019 10:20:08
1366 forum posts
137 photos

No real excuse to not get on with some gardening yesterday but snuck off to the Shed later on when someone wasn't looking ...

I've had a bearing (in a blind hole) that I need to replace lying around on the bench & annoying me, so (having carefully researched on YT) I decided to try the 'grease & rag' hydraulic method. I even turned up a close fitting punch to try to improve the seal. I'm afraid all I managed to do was to completely compact the rag in the bearing and the bearing hasn't moved a micron as far as I can tell. Later today I'm going to try bread instead of cloth (having re-read the comments under the YT posting).

Not entirely wasted time however. A grateful son gifted me a Hemmingway 'Keats' kit recently - and as this is ideal shaper work, I also had the trusty Acorntools 7" roughing out the castings. Not a quick process (and more to do) but one where you can be doing other things in parallel (such as getting bearings out) - so in a strange way - shaper work can be very time efficient...

As an aside, I already had a 'Chinese' Keats I purchased some time ago and had only used once - but needing it for something a bit more challenging recently - found that it was very badly made - with clamping bolts drilled at quite an odd angle and the clamping piece with completely unequal side pieces. So that was a bit disappointing - but even so it would have been very hard to set-up the required operation with it - hence the new H/W kit... which is very well presented and an interesting project too (well done Son!)

I guess I will eventually tidy up the commercial Keats but it's an annoyance none the less...

Regards,

IanT

donkey28/07/2019 11:30:33
70 forum posts
5 photos

Ian T

try plasticene instead of grease or playdough.

always worked for me when I was a machine tool fitter for good old British Leyland.

Brian

IanT28/07/2019 12:00:20
1366 forum posts
137 photos

That's a thought Brian. Thanks.

Grandma says we have certainly have Playdough but I'm not sure if we still have plasticine - I'll have to have a discrete rummage in the Grandchildrens' toy-boxes... devil

IanT

Edited By IanT on 28/07/2019 12:00:57

Ian S C28/07/2019 12:03:06
7447 forum posts
230 photos

Don;t know about the rag (unless it's to cover the area in case the grease squerts out). The punch/rod needs to be a fairlt close sliding fit in the bearing, then a good solid thump, it may need more than one whack, and maybe a little more grease.

Ian S C

martin perman28/07/2019 12:17:55
1690 forum posts
70 photos
Posted by IanT on 28/07/2019 10:20:08:

No real excuse to not get on with some gardening yesterday but snuck off to the Shed later on when someone wasn't looking ...

I've had a bearing (in a blind hole) that I need to replace lying around on the bench & annoying me, so (having carefully researched on YT) I decided to try the 'grease & rag' hydraulic method. I even turned up a close fitting punch to try to improve the seal. I'm afraid all I managed to do was to completely compact the rag in the bearing and the bearing hasn't moved a micron as far as I can tell. Later today I'm going to try bread instead of cloth (having re-read the comments under the YT posting).

Not entirely wasted time however. A grateful son gifted me a Hemmingway 'Keats' kit recently - and as this is ideal shaper work, I also had the trusty Acorntools 7" roughing out the castings. Not a quick process (and more to do) but one where you can be doing other things in parallel (such as getting bearings out) - so in a strange way - shaper work can be very time efficient...

As an aside, I already had a 'Chinese' Keats I purchased some time ago and had only used once - but needing it for something a bit more challenging recently - found that it was very badly made - with clamping bolts drilled at quite an odd angle and the clamping piece with completely unequal side pieces. So that was a bit disappointing - but even so it would have been very hard to set-up the required operation with it - hence the new H/W kit... which is very well presented and an interesting project too (well done Son!)

I guess I will eventually tidy up the commercial Keats but it's an annoyance none the less...

Regards,

IanT

Ian,

Somewhere in the blackhole I call my workshop/garage I have a tool for removing blind bearings, it involves removing the ball retaining ring and passing two pullers through and turning them to hook on the inner or outer race and using a puller to lift the bearing out.

martin P

IanT28/07/2019 13:18:39
1366 forum posts
137 photos

I've previously tried turning an eccentric lip on a high tensile bolt Martin, then inserting and wedging it in place but that didn't budge it. I haven't actually tried heating it first, so that may be worth a go after I've cleaned it up a bit - then I'll have another run at the hydraulic method... We'll see..

IanT

Martin Cargill28/07/2019 17:15:41
107 forum posts

I have both internal pullers and insert pullers that need you to break the bearing cage to insert a small flat sided ball into the space where a ball should be. However I have also managed to remove blind bearings by using an expanding masonry fixing bolt to grip the inner of the bearing and then improvising a slide hammer to shock the bearing into releasing. What is the bearing in?

Martin

IanT28/07/2019 22:07:49
1366 forum posts
137 photos

Well we didn't have any plasticine, so I went for the bread option but made a mash of it with the grease. A few packings and hammerings later and I had succeeded in blowing the metal shield out of the bearing top and thereafter further applications of bread/paste just pumped out between the bearing balls. I also heated the unit up before trying this in the hope of easing things btw.

So the lesson learned is that hydraulic pressure is very effective but not always in quite the way you need!

The shaper work went well again - so it was not a total loss of effort and I can always replicate the part (a tailstock live centre) if I need to as fortunately it is not that complicated to remake.

IanT

IanH28/07/2019 22:49:00
62 forum posts
44 photos

I used my bargain ALDI endoscope to keep an eye on drilling the seal bypass ports in a brake master cylinder I have been making. I knew it would come in handy one day!

5c5360fb-9110-4808-83d2-d738a7a86754.jpeg131b5057-2db8-4ce3-a6c2-58910aced571.jpeg

Speedy Builder529/07/2019 06:43:42
1843 forum posts
128 photos

IanT, I can't find the Yt video now, but saw one where a groove was ground into a centre punch so that the cutting edge of the point looked like a wood gouge. This was then used to shatter the outer ring of a blind bearing. Note a thick rag was covering the bearing to arrest any flying shards. It only took a couple of 'smart' blows with a hammer to shatter the bearing.

BobH

Joseph Noci 129/07/2019 08:29:38
549 forum posts
836 photos

That paint brush... I have quite a few that look just like it..Didn't think they were available in your part of the world..

Joe

Posted by IanH on 28/07/2019 22:49:00:

I used my bargain ALDI endoscope to keep an eye on drilling the seal bypass ports in a brake master cylinder I have been making. I knew it would come in handy one day!

5c5360fb-9110-4808-83d2-d738a7a86754.jpeg

mark costello 129/07/2019 18:11:09
548 forum posts
12 photos

0425182222-00.jpg0425182223-00.jpg

mark costello 129/07/2019 18:12:42
548 forum posts
12 photos

Could not figure how to add text to the above photos. These tools were made from socket head bolts, carved out on a surface grinder,

David Standing 129/07/2019 18:28:37
1280 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 29/07/2019 08:29:38:

That paint brush... I have quite a few that look just like it..Didn't think they were available in your part of the world..

Joe

I was going to say the same Joe, I have those paint brushes too!

Nigel Graham 229/07/2019 18:46:18
445 forum posts

First searched the house for the dividing-head tailstock as I'll need to use that with a rotary-table for machining my wagon's crank-shaft. Found it!

Then attended to the cross-travel lock on the milling-machine.

The DRO revealed that when centre-drilling the ends of the crankshaft blank, the cross-travel was creeping by some 2-3 thou' just by these low drilling forces. (The blank being clamped vertically to an 8-inch long angle-box, just gave sufficient room for facing and centre-drilling with the tools in R8 spindle-collets.)

Investigating, I discovered the lock, which is not at all easily accessible, was not locking!

Then it was case of one thing after another...

The lock is a short rod with cross-pin handle, and a 5/16"BSW threaded spigot. This was some half-inch too short to reach the back of the gib, and oddly, looked as if cut off with a grinder. On the other hand half-inch would be too long for an anti-burring slug - IF the lock ever had one.

Removed the wiper mouldings and retainers as they interfered with the gib adjusters.

Removed and cleaned the gib.

Rooted through a come-in-handy box, found a suitable temporary lock - an old clevis with long tail of the right thread. I can worry about a tidier replacement later, especially as the vertical-slide locks need replacing too.

Nor had the long-travel locks, locked; I found and corrected with small slugs a while ago. These had looked as if hack-sawn short!

Re-fitted the gib and adjusted it, slightly tighter than previously.

Then found the wipers and retainers needed the holes for the adjusters filing oval as they had been made (by the factory) so far off-centre they would not go over the adjuster screws, now protruding from the slide.

Next, having to had remove the special conduit clamp I'd made for the long-travel encoder, it was an absolute rude-word to refit. So modified its mounting slightly. Refitted it.

Phew!

Stopped for a brew and to see who's done what today in their workshops!

Can I get on with the crank-shaft now?

Michael Gilligan30/07/2019 10:20:12
14280 forum posts
628 photos

I'm pretty sure that I can't afford one but ... I've just received an eMail advertising this: **LINK**

https://www.kemet.co.uk/products/metallography/portable-grinder-polisher

< drool >

MichaelG.

Del Greco30/07/2019 10:35:41
27 forum posts
10 photos

I bought my first lathe. Very happy! A Myford Super7 Mk1. Thread to follow. (Technically I did it Sunday, but it was a long day and I only just got a chance to post!)

Del

Edited By Del Greco on 30/07/2019 10:36:22

Nigel Graham 230/07/2019 12:52:33
445 forum posts

Good news, Del Greco!

Plenty of help & advice available here if you need it.

Errr, was the pun intended?

John Hinkley31/07/2019 13:56:42
772 forum posts
259 photos

Today I finished the construction of the cylindrical grinding attachment to Stefan Gotteswinter's design and I am very pleased with it . I've still got to get a mains plug for the power supply unit, but I've no reason to think it won't function as intended. ( Famous last words ........ ) Here's what it looks like:

Finished

I have made exhaustive use of the surface grinder to true faces parallel where required.

John

P.S. Blast! Just noticed that I've forgotten to drill and tap the hole for the drive dog. Lucky I didn't lock the workshop up when dodging the thunderstorms as I came in for lunch!

FullaFlava31/07/2019 17:43:51
26 forum posts
51 photos

Not so much what I’ve done today but lately:

Made a 5c adapter for my myford legacy chucks so I can move them straight from the lathe to the dividing head.

1ba876a7-939d-4924-bf0f-5acf7ba32125.jpeg

2013ae5e-3bc4-4630-b012-7a27dd0c9301.jpeg

Made a caddy to both help attachment of my magnifying light lens and keep the often used tailstock stuff and chuck keys

648c522f-bcd5-487b-8f07-993013d81bf0.jpeg

Made some sleeves so all my boring bars can all use the same tool holder

628a6c54-7cbe-46db-a0e6-86828a5b1b6a.jpeg

24143ffc-4428-4d4a-9beb-1f11880b5c0b.jpeg

Knocked up a board to magnetically attach my tool holders to the collet door

53ce3776-9191-4592-bcb5-da2eb0b7d2d7.jpeg

Tidied my Spaniard and socket drawers

1d930cb4-1509-4103-a472-72b552ab437d.jpeg

6ff369cc-5b11-4731-88d3-b07a38d6489c.jpeg

Still plenty to do

Al

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest