Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

What Did You Do Today 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Clarke 323/07/2019 22:14:45
423 forum posts
12 photos

For some reason I am reminded of the old joke about how while I may be in my sixties I have the body of a 21 year old - but it takes up all the room in the freezer.

Sorry!

Nick Clarke 323/07/2019 22:14:47
423 forum posts
12 photos

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 23/07/2019 22:15:17

Nigel Graham 225/07/2019 13:13:32
445 forum posts

Your second post's just blank Nick. You did nowt on Tuesday beyond inspecting the freezer, or such a heavy machining task everything had vanished in a dense fog of suds vapour?

'

Me: steady but slow progress on making my steam-wagon's compound engine's crankshaft.

It started as a bit of scrap axle from a rebuilt narrow-gauge quarry-wagon, so of well-weathered Ferromysterium; definitely not of "Incisic Liberare " grade when milling the rusty round into shiny L-section. It ate most of my small slot-drills and end mills, and ensured that the sharpest of my few slitting-saws were soon not.

I don't think the milling-machine was too impressed, either, but cutting conditions should become easier.

I have no drawings for this thing, so the whole project has been dogged by design-and-cut, redesign-and-recut.... I bought TurboCAD knowing I still have to design the machine, but CAD would facilitate drawing it; and TurboCAD usefully allows direct orthographic without needing that prior 3D rigmarole I find impossible anyway! However, though the crankshaft's CAD drawing gives all the dimensions, I had not established its "way-up".

So first task this morning, searching my library to see which leads, by 90º: HP or LP crank.

The books revealed no definite answer; so I worked it out by covering the blank back of a caving-club document (paperwork has its uses), with hieroglyphs alleging piston-travel, steam flow and crank-pin positions for forward running.

The answer? LP leads. I hope. I am not sure if it actually matters, but I was thinking of one side pushing while the other pulls, as it were.

I don't need re-draw, just hand-annotate the print. Then mark-out and cut the blank being very aware that the shaft is not symmetrical, and which side of each cut is the waste. I may finish the blank to size, then prior to marking-out, de-grease and paint the ends green or red - starboard or port - designating HP (offside & flywheel) or LP (nearside & transmission).

Incidentally, I have found spray-can primer and pencil good for basic marking-out on hot-rolled (and for me, often very rustily " pre-loved " steel.

Nigel Graham 225/07/2019 13:17:27
445 forum posts

B++++y wink symbols! Does this site really need these gimmicky emoticons or whatever they're called these days?

I was sure I'd placed a space between the word " pre-loved " and the " mark!

Nick Clarke 325/07/2019 13:22:23
423 forum posts
12 photos

Nigel -

It was a duplicate post that I forgot to mark as such, but looking back it was in fact remarkably accurate!!

Will try to do better today.

Nick

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 25/07/2019 13:22:44

Neil Wyatt25/07/2019 15:32:27
16754 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

Sweat... 33.6 in my office.

Afraid I had three small choc ices plus a home-made banana and coffee milkshake for lunch.

And what an anti climax - looks it's only the second hottest day on record.

Neil

JasonB25/07/2019 15:42:52
16572 forum posts
1772 photos
1 articles

That sounds quite comfy Neil, spare a thought for those of us who have been working on a roof all week.

luckily I did not get blown off when the Air ambulance decide to land in the garden next door yesterday.

John Hinkley25/07/2019 16:11:20
772 forum posts
259 photos

Yep. Far too hot to work in the garage today, so I've spent a while working on the internals of a 5-speed transaxle gearbox - my next project. So far, I've just about finalised the general layout and drawn up the mainshaft gear clusters assembly in Alibre Atom. For scale, the far right gear pair ( 1st and reverse ) are both 63mm diameter and the ( dummy ) shaft is 150mm long

mainshaft cluster.jpg

Next step - the input shaft and associated gears and then the revese gear idler set-up.

Right now, I'm going to let my brain cool down.

John

Neil Wyatt25/07/2019 18:17:08
16754 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles
Posted by JasonB on 25/07/2019 15:42:52:
luckily I did not get blown off when the Air ambulance decide to land in the garden next door yesterday.

The lengths they will go to to drum up business!

N.

Mick B125/07/2019 18:34:27
1243 forum posts
70 photos

Bloke from Carriage and Wagon dept. asked about router collets cos one of his had broken up. Couldn't find anything quite the same on the web (.250" bore x 16.75 mm OAL), so made him this outa silver steel:-

routercollet1.jpg

Didn't harden it because the previous had broken up where the petals join the base ring, and I thought silver steel's probably tough enough as bought and it'd be silly to risk embrittlement.

Rookie error in 3 o'clock slot where I did my mental arithmetic wrong in getting the slitting saw on centre - spotted and corrected it before any real harm done. Seems to work, but will await user comment.

duncan webster25/07/2019 21:05:12
2271 forum posts
33 photos

Went to York railway museum, very enjoyable visit and pleasant ride on the train apart from the last leg Manchester/Warrington, there wasn't even standing room. Good bit is that if we had have had a crash we couldn't have fallen over. When they must know it is going to be packed in rush hour why not use more than 2 coaches. Oh I forgot, this is the North West, all the money is being spent on Cross Rail. To quote Manchester Evening News

'

Transport spending per head in London is still DOUBLE the figure for the north, a think tank has claimed.

Not only that, but since the launch of the 'Northern Powerhouse' five years ago, per-person spending in the capital has risen twice as much as in the north

Boiler Bri25/07/2019 21:30:06
812 forum posts
287 photos

Nice one Duncan. Good day out at York.

We just driven to Criccieth. Brought some RC modelling stuff with me to fit to my Roundhouse loco.

Looks like a good weekend ahead.

B

Bazyle25/07/2019 22:54:45
4797 forum posts
187 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 25/07/2019 18:17:08:
Posted by JasonB on 25/07/2019 15:42:52:

The lengths they will go to to drum up business!

N.

I sense a conspiracy. A few years ago when one landed near me (on common land as no gardens that big round me) I was up my chimney at the time. The year before they had the bright idea of landing on the cricket ground but had to lift the stretcher over the gate 'cos it was locked. It was on the ground about 20 minutes so plenty of time to get down and find a camera.
helicopterpdc_1318.jpg

JC5426/07/2019 23:11:05
98 forum posts
1 photos

Our air ambulance people must be more resourceful, when her that must be obeyed was air lifted after a very serious RTA they just took a fence down and fire brigade rebuilt it. God Bless the Air Ambulance people. You never know you may need them next... John

Martin King 227/07/2019 08:34:49
626 forum posts
236 photos

Hi all,

Had the Dorset Air Ambulance land in our field a couple of years ago and it is now a designated landing site for them if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5rpya2400sme6d/GOPR0274.avi?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0l59k8cwozb9en/GOPR0307.avi?dl=0

They do such great work and need all the support they can get!

Cheers, Martin

John Haine27/07/2019 20:02:06
2698 forum posts
138 photos

Finally got the modified dial of my synchronome "reinvention" mounted to the backboard.

arduinome_full_length.jpg

This photo caught the moment where the stepper that controls the gravity arm has just placed it on the pallet (every 40 pendulum cycles). Lots of tidying to be done and a case to make, not to mention regulating the timekeeping.

duncan webster28/07/2019 00:31:21
2271 forum posts
33 photos

John, does the stepper have some kind of cam to lift/drop the gravity arm? I trust this is going to be written up for ME, it's about time we had something different

John Haine28/07/2019 09:11:13
2698 forum posts
138 photos

Duncan, indeed it does. There's an opto looking at the cam to allow the arduino to set it to its home position on power up or reset. Also of course an opto sensing the pendulum, which is offset to one side of centre so the software can work out which way the pendulum is swinging.

Russell Eberhardt28/07/2019 09:19:57
2501 forum posts
85 photos

Interesting project John. I look forward to more details. May I suggest a weight tray halfway up the pendulum rod to make regulating easier?

Russell

John Haine28/07/2019 10:19:32
2698 forum posts
138 photos

Russell, indeed, that's one of the features to be added in the next round of updates. There are 3 ways to regulate the clock. Coarse - periodically adds or subtracts 2 second increments to the displayed time. Medium - via a weight tray. Fine - trimming the amplitude by changing the impulsing interval (currently 80 seconds), though I have other plans for amplitude. None of these require a rating nut adjustment.

At some point I also need to make a PCB to replace the frightful electronics breadboard!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest