By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

What Did You Do Today 2019

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Baz18/07/2019 13:51:21
245 forum posts

Nigel Graham 2, I believe the little darlings have been caught but to date have not heard about them being up before the beak.

Matthew Ellis18/07/2019 14:36:12
6 forum posts
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 18/07/2019 11:48:46:

That was probably due to some child losing helium-filled party balloons quite accidentally, but such and other problems with them does add weight to calls for the gas to be used only for serious purposes. It is a possibly-finite resource, and "used" or lost helium diffuses and floats irrecoverably to the Upper Atmosphere.

It's not just children - found a small fleet of said balloons lurking under trees in my garden this week. Wording on them: 'Happy 25th Anniversary'...

Mick B119/07/2019 17:44:17
1157 forum posts
64 photos

Finished fitting a bolt I'd made for a pair of sliding doors I put in last month:-

img_3161.jpg

The bolt's there so that the back livng room - generally Carol's art room - can be used as a bedroom without losing access to other parts of the house when a bunch of friends or relatives come visiting.

I 'spect I could've done it more easily, but this way just occurred to me.

Nigel Graham 219/07/2019 23:51:26
363 forum posts

Finished modifying the steady that came with my Harrison L5 lathe, so it actually fits the lathe! had to make a new clamp-plate and screw, entailing slotting the hole in the casting slightly so the screw-head would pass the upper parts of the steady.

This was my first use of the lathe itself in its new home, and with its new 3ph motor conversion (Newton-Tesla) and lots of thick oil in the gearbox. It runs far more quietly than it did with the hulking great, cabinet-mounted, 1ph motor and nearly-dry gearbox it used to have. Will have to watch the oil though as it does like to escape.

Cutting the clamp-screw's 1/2" X 16 BSF thread by single-point insert tool was even very satisfying - the machine is no spring chicken but heavy enough to give consistent results, in back-gear, over short, fairly shallow (0.040" threads. Still needed several spring-cuts to finish to depth but it nicely matches the tapped hole in the clamp, so I'm happy about that.

The gearing's low enough too , for the motor to run as it likes, at about 1000 - 1200 rpm.

One advantage of those insert tools is that the tip is aligned accurately w.r.t. the holder, and both are precision-made. This makes setting less fiddly than with a thread-gauge's V-notch, by using a square or the chuck face; over a larger reference area.

'

Just had a thought.... For some reason, being too accustomed to the Myford ML7 a few feet away perhaps, I took without verifying the L5 has an 1/8"-lead screw, so automatically counted the primary pinion (20T, not marked) so duly set up an idler and 40T wheels. And it worked. Yet a second look now makes me think 1/4" lead. Memories stir, about that gearbox on the feed-shaft and lead-screw. I will have to Read The Flippin' Manual, won't I? (Now there's a thing)....

Neil Wyatt20/07/2019 15:53:44
16449 forum posts
686 photos
74 articles

Editing an article...

Word takes exception to 'table top' underlining it in blue and offering the alternative 'tabletop'.

Fair enough.

Word takes exception to 'tabletop' underlining it in red and offering the alternative 'table top'.

B****r.

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 20/07/2019 17:47:53

JasonB20/07/2019 16:08:36
16057 forum posts
1690 photos
1 articles

Does it prefer bench top as I expect it knows only a few of us put the mill/lathe on the kitchen tablewink 2

Michael Gilligan20/07/2019 17:31:03
13840 forum posts
603 photos

Neil,

The Blue squiggly line is for a formatting error

Red = Spelling

Green = Grammar

https://word.tips.net/T003449_Getting_Rid_of_Blue_Squiggly_Underlines.html

MichaelG.

P.S. depending on the context, table-top might be appropriate.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 20/07/2019 17:34:40

Neil Wyatt20/07/2019 17:51:54
16449 forum posts
686 photos
74 articles
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/07/2019 17:31:03:

Neil,

The Blue squiggly line is for a formatting error

Red = Spelling

Green = Grammar

**LINK**

MichaelG.

P.S. depending on the context, table-top might be appropriate.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 20/07/2019 17:34:40

Not here, blue is grammar, red is spelling.

<edit> Just spotted this at the top of the page you linked: " Please Note: This article is written for users of the following Microsoft Word versions: 2002 and 2003. If you are using a later version (Word 2007 or later), this tip may not work for you. For a version of this tip written specifically for later versions of Word, click here: Getting Rid of Blue Squiggly Underlines." That's sixteen years behind my version!

<another edit> His 'updated tip (2016)  is wrong as well, as pointed out in the comments below it.

Joining words, then offering a hyphenated alternative is fairly common in Word.

The recursive ones (I've edited my post to be correct) are much rarer and may depend on context.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 20/07/2019 17:56:26

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 20/07/2019 18:00:17

Neil Wyatt20/07/2019 17:55:12
16449 forum posts
686 photos
74 articles

P.S. in this context 'table top' is probably correct as its about fitting a 'top' to a table. To me, the 'tabletop' is more appropriate for the place on top of the table.

Neil

Michael Gilligan20/07/2019 18:50:04
13840 forum posts
603 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/07/2019 17:51:54:

Not here, blue is grammar, red is spelling.

[ ... ] That's sixteen years behind my version!

So, presumably, Micro$soft doesn't do 'backward compatibility'

I'll leave you to it then

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan21/07/2019 10:46:33
13840 forum posts
603 photos

NEWSFLASH

I have just returned from the Hope Car Boot Sale [near Castleton]

Sorry, I didn't have my 'phone with me, so no photo ...

A chap there has an original steam engine governor for sale [asking £75]

... stated to be from an industrial engine; late 1800s - early 1900s

It's mounted as a demonstration piece, and was owned by Kevin Allsop [recently deceased]

You may have seen it at an exhibition [?]

... I was tempted, but it's not really my thing.

MichaelG.

Samsaranda22/07/2019 17:30:29
776 forum posts
5 photos

Spent today tidying my workshop, the wife gave me a hand, she is fanatical about tidyness, we are about half way through the workshop at present, it is taking on the aura of super tidy, problem is I doubt whether I shall be able to find anything now, not sure letting the wife into the workshop was a good idea. The garden has a growing pile of items destined for the dump, I am a hoarder so there is plenty more to join the pile, I never knew that I had so many half empty paint tins left over from previous decorating projects, be glad to see those go because I hate decorating with a passion, I decorate only under extreme pressure nowadays. Hopefully will finish the tidy up by tomorrow evening and can then get on with some modelling.

Dave W

Neil Wyatt22/07/2019 20:22:56
16449 forum posts
686 photos
74 articles
Posted by Samsaranda on 22/07/2019 17:30:29:

Spent today tidying my workshop, the wife gave me a hand, she is fanatical about tidyness, we are about half way through the workshop at present, it is taking on the aura of super tidy, problem is I doubt whether I shall be able to find anything now, not sure letting the wife into the workshop was a good idea. The garden has a growing pile of items destined for the dump, I am a hoarder so there is plenty more to join the pile, I never knew that I had so many half empty paint tins left over from previous decorating projects, be glad to see those go because I hate decorating with a passion, I decorate only under extreme pressure nowadays. Hopefully will finish the tidy up by tomorrow evening and can then get on with some modelling.

Dave W

Blimey. I think the only times my wife comes in my workshop are to:

• Ask me to fix something...
  • Tell me to read the text a family me.ber has sent me...
  • Remind me to clean out the cat's litter tray...

Neil

Mark Rand22/07/2019 22:46:02
744 forum posts

Fitted a stop to one of the milling machine vices. it's a bit of 3/8" silver steel threaded into a tapped and counterbored hole (for a firm fit) in the key that locates the fixed jaw. That way, If I decide I've got it wrong, I just need to replace the key, not the vice! It's secured with a brass split cotter and seems to be nicely free from slop. It has allowed me to put consistend chamfers on the ends of a few lengths of oblong tube prior to TIGing endplates onto them:-

Also, got a cheap 24"x36" picture frame from The Range, to stop the drill speed chart decaying any mode from airborne crud in the shed. Used a tack-rag to clean a frightening amount of dust and muck from the poster before mounting it in the frame. Does anyone know of a current supplier of such charts?

Michael Gilligan22/07/2019 23:33:16
13840 forum posts
603 photos

Weather being as it was; we had a picnic meal by the water at the Pavillion Gardens in Buxton

Surprised to see most of this lot parked outside the Pavillion: **LINK**

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/117/?page=1

[ the DeLorean and a few others were safely locked inside the building ]

MichaelG.

Martin Kyte23/07/2019 12:45:50
1472 forum posts
24 photos

Just added some photo's of the Scroll Clock. More in my Album.

regards Martin

_o124881.jpg

_dsc3550.jpg

Martin Kyte23/07/2019 12:51:04
1472 forum posts
24 photos

_dsc3545.jpg

Ian S C23/07/2019 15:10:57
7444 forum posts
230 photos

MichaelG, interesting line up there, but I think there is a typo with the Ford Popular, I think it's more likely to be 1953/54, rather than 56, as after that the body changed to a more modern design with a boot, sort of a mini Zephyr.     Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 23/07/2019 15:18:49

Samsaranda23/07/2019 20:00:19
776 forum posts
5 photos

Neil, the three instances you quoted apply to me as well but unfortunately our second freezer lives in my workshop so the wife visits frequently and I am constantly nagged about my obsession with hoarding, she keeps tabs on me. Have suggested alternative locations for the freezer but it didn’t work although wife suggested another storage shed next to my workshop so if I make sure that there is power laid on perhaps the freezer could migrate.

Dave W

Daniel23/07/2019 22:07:41
240 forum posts
39 photos
Posted by Samsaranda on 23/07/2019 20:00:19:

Neil, the three instances you quoted apply to me as well but unfortunately our second freezer lives in my workshop so the wife visits frequently and I am constantly nagged about my obsession with hoarding, she keeps tabs on me. Have suggested alternative locations for the freezer but it didn’t work although wife suggested another storage shed next to my workshop so if I make sure that there is power laid on perhaps the freezer could migrate.

Dave W

laughlaugh

I've got the same problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest