Martin King 203/07/2019 22:13:27
619 forum posts
229 photos

Boiler Bri, sorry, now listed.

Martin

mechman4803/07/2019 22:51:45
2505 forum posts
374 photos

V8 thanks for the heads up re flywheel, may well go down that route.

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 03/07/2019 22:52:24

Mark Rand03/07/2019 22:53:56
785 forum posts
Posted by thaiguzzi on 03/07/2019 05:30:00:
Posted by Mark Rand on 02/07/2019 21:02:33:h...

Mark, noooooooooo.

If you don't need the money, you'll find the space.

That is one of the later Royal (Alba/Elliot) shapers with the box table front support.

Think of cheap gear cutting, splines and marvelous finishes.

Sell the slotting head.......devil

Unfortunately I really do need the space! That's why I've overhauled it to the point that I wouldn't be ashamed to pass it on to someone else (Unlike the nice chap that sold me the low use ex-college machine, with busted teeth on the feed gears and much slop in everything that moved...).The shaper has done me proud in the 15 or more years I've had it. It stood in for a power hacksaw before I got a bandsaw:-

I also cut the 14 tooth 20°PA 22DP stub-form pinion for my Hardinge HLV on it because The gear cutters that I used to replace all the apron gears were 14.5° PA!

Edited By Mark Rand on 03/07/2019 23:01:08

Iain Downs06/07/2019 11:23:23
504 forum posts
391 photos

Yesterday a great disappointment arrived in my inbox. It was a VAT free code for Clarke Tools.

I imagine you re-reading that sentence, thinking me mad. In fact I'd been looking forward to this, having decided my birthday present would be a Clarke MIG welder, but a want and not an immediate need. So I'd decided to wait until a VAT free offer came along and so save 20% (which for one of the bigger domestic Clarke's, is quite a lot).

Still puzzled? Well, it happens that last week, I talk SWMBO into letting me buy a Femi bandsaw instead.

Having just spent £300 quid on one of these beasties (which seems very nice, thank-you), I would not dare to even hint at the potential savings the VAT free voucher would give.

So if any of you would like to buy a welder (or anything else Clarke) at 20% off, drop me an IM and the first past the post can have the voucher code.

And I will hope that the next VAT free voucher comes at a suitable time - long enough for Madam to have grown complacent and not too far in the future that I get too frustrated.

Iain

Andrew Johnston06/07/2019 17:24:20
4893 forum posts
552 photos

Cut the lawns front and back this morning. Finished just gone 11am and by 1pm it was raining. Fortunately the light rain has now stopped so the pizzas and drinkies do at the neighbours this evening is on, and outside.

This afternoon I tweaked the CAD model, and created a CAM file, to cut the 1/8" by 3/8" slots in the anchor bolts for the traction engines. Having cut one I updated the CAD and CAM as I didn't think the slot was in quite the right place. The machining used two stages. First stage used a carbide 3mm drill to create 3 holes to remove most of the material, time about 6 seconds:

anchor_bolt_holes.jpg

And then a carbide 3-flute slot drill to pocket out and profile, time about 2 minutes:

anchor_bolts_slots.jpg

I've machined four slots this afternoon on spare bolts. Now I'm happy I can machine the 18 proper bolts and then tweak the program for the 36 frost spikes; same size slot but in a different position.

The slot is reasonably accurate, a 0.125" slip gauge will go in top and bottom but a 0.126" slip gauge will just fit in the top but not the bottom.

Once all the bolts and spikes are done I need to slightly thin my 1/8" keyway broach and make some shims to create square ends to the slots.

Andrew

mechman4806/07/2019 18:59:47
2505 forum posts
374 photos

Been to Duncombe Park steam rally today; nice hot day. bought some drills that i thought I needed, found out that I already have these sizes, ho hum now have some more face 21. Got some small PB bushings to add to my stock & a magnetic tray for £4, not a bad price, was looking for 6mm dia inserts & spare DCMT tips 060402 but the guy /I could only find 070402, heaps of broken/worn tips so had to be careful sifting through. A couple of pics of cars & bikes

p7060002.jpg

My first motor bike...

Bikes 2.jpg

Beautiful converted Moggie...

Par excellence.jpg

Par excellence 2.jpg

Stuart #1 iirc...

Steam models.jpg

Twin paddle steamer engine...

Steam models.jpg

Triple expansion engine...

Steam engines.jpg

George.

Nigel Graham 206/07/2019 21:44:18
427 forum posts

What the hell is wrong with this site's logging procedure? It keep throwing me back to previous posts, other sections, ,all sorts?

I reached here only after brutally closing the browser itself (BTcom) and starting again.

'

Anyway,. today...

A little light garden trimming - I'm nor fit enough yet to risk pushing the mower around the, umm, lawn. Moved a few pebbles on the "beach" forming one end of the pond so some tadpoles behind them would not become stranded as the water slowly drops.

More work on the Worden Tool-grinder this afternoon. I'm trying to plan operations to minimise repeated machine-setting, so at the moment am concentrating on the turning to leave all the milling on the second-operation parts until I am ready to mill all the rectangle-based bits.

Remembered I had bought an ER32 collet set for the Myford, partly to use with that lathe's chucks on the rotary-table.

Now, wouldn't you think factory making a collet-chuck and its spindle-nose adaptor, and heat-sealing them in respective halves of a thick-walled polythene bag, would ensure the registers match?

No doubt when made in Beeston they would match to within very tiddly bits of thous. These didn't. Oh my word no!

Unfortunately I'd bought these quite a while ago, I can't remember if at the trade-stand or mail-order, nor from whom. Possibly not the present incarnation of Myford, though possibly from the same People's Glorious Capstan-lathe. So returning them was not possible.

Luckily the male register was the oversize one - by TWO WHOLE MILLIMETRES - and on the spindle fitting. Had it been the other way round I'd have had no choice but to ring Myford to order the appropriate replacement, and stress the diameter needed.

Fortunately too, once it was on the lathe I could detect no appreciable run-out, and though the bush had a ground finish (albeit only to look pretty), nor was it hardened. With utmost care and using the finest self-acting feed and several spring-cuts with a sharp HSS tool, on a lathe whose parallelism, rigidity and feed-smoothness depend as much on the Auguries rising in Orion as they do on my Leo's chosen constellation, I succeeded in what should never have been necessary.

I half expected the holes for the three cap-head screws holding the two parts together, to be on different PCDs, but no, they weren't.

++

This isn't the first fun I have had with modern-day Myford-labelled accessories.

I was able to replace a new lead-screw hand-wheel that just would not fit - the driving slot was visibly so far off-centre it was obvious the factory had made no attempt to machine it properly. The register on the nose-piece I have for rotary-table work is rather too tight, too, but that's better than loose. Nor does it have even a plain hole down its axis.

John Haine07/07/2019 07:23:36
2662 forum posts
136 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 06/07/2019 21:44:18:

Anyway,. today...

A little light garden trimming - I'm nor fit enough yet to risk pushing the mower around the, umm, lawn. Moved a few pebbles on the "beach" forming one end of the pond so some tadpoles behind them would not become stranded as the water slowly drops.

More work on the Worden Tool-grinder this afternoon. I'm trying to plan operations to minimise repeated machine-setting, so at the moment am concentrating on the turning to leave all the milling on the second-operation parts until I am ready to

Remembered I had bought an ER32 collet set for the Myford, partly to use with that lathe's chucks on the rotary-table.

Now, wouldn't you think factory making a collet-chuck and its spindle-nose adaptor, and heat-sealing them in respective halves of a thick-walled polythene bag, would ensure the registers match?

No doubt when made in Beeston they would match to within very tiddly bits of thous. These didn't. Oh my word no!

Unfortunately I'd bought these quite a while ago, I can't remember if at the trade-stand or mail-order, nor from whom. Possibly not the present incarnation of Myford, though possibly from the same People's Glorious Capstan-lathe. So returning them was not possible.

Luckily the male register was the oversize one - by TWO WHOLE MILLIMETRES - and on the spindle fitting. Had it been the other way round I'd have had no choice but to ring Myford to order the appropriate replacement, and stress the diameter needed.

Fortunately too, once it was on the lathe I could detect no appreciable run-out, and though the bush had a ground finish (albeit only to look pretty), nor was it hardened. With utmost care and using the finest self-acting feed and several spring-cuts with a sharp HSS tool, on a lathe whose parallelism, rigidity and feed-smoothness depend as much on the Auguries rising in Orion as they do on my Leo's chosen constellation, I succeeded in what should never have been necessary.

I half expected the holes for the three cap-head screws holding the two parts together, to be on different PCDs, but no, they weren't.

++

This isn't the first fun I have had with modern-day Myford-labelled accessories.

I was able to replace a new lead-screw hand-wheel that just would not fit - the driving slot was visibly so far off-centre it was obvious the factory had made no attempt to machine it properly. The register on the nose-piece I have for rotary-table work is rather too tight, too, but that's better than loose. Nor does it have even a plain hole down its axis.

Nigel, that's exactly how they are intended. They are supplied oversize so you can turn the register for concentricity on your lathe. The same with the er40 one I bought from the old Myford with instructions.

Nigel Graham 207/07/2019 10:13:41
427 forum posts

Oh, I never thought of that, John!

I beg their pardon!

The two parts came heat-sealed together, with no suggestion of machining to finish, and a 2mm diameter discrepancy is larger than I'd have expected. I know that's normal practice for a chuck back-plate but they are normally sold individually.

Mind you, my opinion was a bit couloured by the experience with that hand-wheel.

Iain Downs07/07/2019 19:39:27
504 forum posts
391 photos

Today, the plan was to build a shed for my shed.

As you all know, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, a shed is defined as, 'An enclosure in which your wife insists you keep the things she will not have in the house'.

That's all very well, but what happens when you don't want them either? In my case gardening equipment (we don't have a garden), paint and bits of wood, but most particularly recycling. No the council doesn't collect it. And I'm torn between pride that we recycle so much and shame that we have some much packaged stuff. I blame Amazon, personally.

Well, the obvious solution is to give your shed a shed so that the rubbish flows downhill.

This is my shed

the shed.jpg

It's quite full. Even after several attempts at re-organisation.

And this is the shed's shed.

the sheds shed.jpg

This was going swimmingly until I came to spray the back, before pushing it back into place. I discovered two things about cheap fence sprayers. Firstly, they are not very accurate and the spray gets everywhere.

Secondly, if the delivery tube isn't as securely fastened as you thought and it comes off under pressure, it makes ONE HELL of a mess.

paint.jpg

ALL over our wall. ALL over our neighbours wall! They were quite understanding as I scrubbed the mess off, but I'm relieved that their Mercedes sports car was not in its usual place when the accident occurred. There's only so much you can forgive!

Still got to finish off painting, but I feel there might be a brush with my name on it.

Iain

Boiler Bri07/07/2019 20:57:45
806 forum posts
285 photos

Ouch!

Did nothing except sit in the garden, it was too hot to go into the workshop.

bri

Rik Shaw08/07/2019 17:13:38
1313 forum posts
352 photos

Took a break this afternoon from a sweaty workshop and the fiddle of milling 1/8” steam ports. Logged on to a website that offers five free ebooks a month and selected “engineering” as my category and was offered this book authored by one Gints Jekabsons :

"Adaptive Basis Function Construction:An Approach for Adaptive Building of Sparse Polynomial Regression Models"

…………and wondered if they had steam ports as well. Then it dawned on me ---- hot air engines don’t have steam ports…doh! crook

Edited By Rik Shaw on 08/07/2019 17:15:47

Samsaranda08/07/2019 18:55:28
787 forum posts
5 photos

Today I finished my latest project, woodwork not engineering, it is a top bar style beehive. Have wanted to keep bees for years and thought not getting any younger so I took the plunge and built a hive. The objective is not to produce maximum honey but to sustainably keep bees and take only minimal amounts of honey that the hive can afford to lose. Haven’t any bees yet but am hoping to attract a free flying swarm, have sprayed the hive with attractant so will just have to wait and see, probably a bit late in the season for a random swarm. Need to clear up the workshop now it’s amazing how much timber offcuts accumulate and fill whatever space is available, got into trouble because the kitchen sink wouldn’t drain very well after I had been melting beeswax in the kitchen, you can never win can you.

Dave W

Frances IoM08/07/2019 19:27:12
654 forum posts
24 photos
have you seen any other hives within a few hundred yards? - also some strains are more vicious than others and it may well be worthwhile asking a local bee keeper if they can find you a fairly easy going strain.

Edited By Frances IoM on 08/07/2019 19:28:08

Edited By Frances IoM on 08/07/2019 19:28:46

Samsaranda08/07/2019 20:24:00
787 forum posts
5 photos

Had thought about seeking some bees from an established beekeeper, I am looking to join a local beekeeping club, should get me on the right track then. Point taken about bees of unknown origin could be vicious, not the way to start out on a new hobby by being stung to death.

Dave W

Frances IoM08/07/2019 20:42:47
654 forum posts
24 photos
Dave - A local society might have a society honey extractor otherwise can be expensive (I used a friend's for my single hive which could be extremely productive as the local park was in easy flight distance) - also are you fully equipped with necessary clothing + also the required anti mite treatment etc
I briefly kept bees but found they needed almost constant presence when the signs of swarming were seen - otherwise a swarm will not amuse neighbours especially if they are worried about children - you may well need help to handle a swarm that has decided to settle in an awkward to reach place. My hive was in a centre of town garden but high fences and a shed/aviary formed my neighbours boundaries hence the bee-lines were well above 6 ft until one neighbour removed the aviary and the bee-line lowered after which complaints!
Neil Wyatt08/07/2019 22:23:05
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Iain Downs on 07/07/2019 19:39:27:

T

Secondly, if the delivery tube isn't as securely fastened as you thought and it comes off under pressure, it makes ONE HELL of a mess.

paint.jpg

Thank you for cheering me up Iain!

Neil

Neil Wyatt08/07/2019 22:25:38
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Samsaranda on 08/07/2019 20:24:00:

Had thought about seeking some bees from an established beekeeper, I am looking to join a local beekeeping club, should get me on the right track then. Point taken about bees of unknown origin could be vicious, not the way to start out on a new hobby by being stung to death.

Dave W

I've come across two mellow swarms recently. One a few weeks ago in my brother's garden I was able to photograph close up, one on saturday, we went to a cafe, came back and had to walk through air literally thick with bees to get in the car!

By coincidence, on sunday we met a pair of beekepers!

Neil

Samsaranda09/07/2019 15:56:00
787 forum posts
5 photos

Neil I fear Staffordshire is a bit too far for me to go searching out swarms, I live in East Sussex and at the moment there appears to be a lack of swarms, always the way isn’t it.

Dave W

Samsaranda09/07/2019 16:14:00
787 forum posts
5 photos

My wife who is disabled loves to garden, the bits that she can manage anyway and has her own shed which is attached to the end of my workshop; she had been complaining that it was very cluttered and needed sorting out so I decided to tackle it this morning. Has made a considerable difference, you can now walk in and virtually hold a dance in there, she is well pleased, I visited the local dump this afternoon and disposed of a fair amount of the contents from her shed, so all going well, unfortunately she found some items in her shed which she deemed belonged in my workshop so they have now been transferred and my workshop which was already overflowing is now even more crowded, the resolution will have to be a radical sort out in the workshop, if the truth be known I am a bit of a hoarder so it is probably well overdue, I can’t put it off much longer I will have to take the bull by the horns.

Dave W

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest