Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Old Lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nicholas Farr07/01/2019 10:00:24
1737 forum posts
869 photos

Hi Ian, below are a few photos of my Myford tailstock barrel, the first one shows the front end with the No. 1 Morse taper and the keyway on the side of the barrel to stop rotation. Just to the left can be seen the pin through the body, which has a key cut on the inside end which will prevent the barrel from coming out of the front end. this pin doesn't seem to be easy to remove, but yours may have a screw in it as Bazyle suggests, if it doesn't have a screw, you will have to take some drastic action and cut the chuck off to enable you to remove the barrel from the back end.

001 (1024x768).jpg

To remove it from the back end you will have to remove the two screws that hold the keep plates in position.

002 (1024x768).jpg

These should be accessible through a hole in the handle.

003 (1024x768).jpg

Once they are removed, the barrel and handle will be able to be removed from the back end.

004 (1024x768).jpg

Once removed you should be able to deal with the barrel, but of course you might need another lathe or take it to someone who can do it for you, or find another barrel from somewhere.

I'm beginning to think this might be what I call a Johnny Cash job, i.e. his song "One piece at a time" where he nicked a whole car from the factory he worked in and had problems with changes in designs over the years. Maybe this lathe was got by the same means, but the guy got the boot before he got all the right bits and the right colour paint. wink 2

Regards Nick.

P.S. I'm not saying that Johnny Cash actually nicked a car from a factory he worked in, but you get the idea from his song.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 07/01/2019 10:09:06

Michael Gilligan07/01/2019 10:47:52
12685 forum posts
549 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 07/01/2019 10:00:24:

To remove it from the back end you will have to remove the two screws that hold the keep plates in position.

002 (1024x768).jpg

These should be accessible through a hole in the handle.

003 (1024x768).jpg

Once they are removed, the barrel and handle will be able to be removed from the back end.

004 (1024x768).jpg

Once removed you should be able to deal with the barrel, but of course you might need another lathe or take it to someone who can do it for you, or find another barrel from somewhere.

Thanks for posting those photos, Nick

When I dismantled my Drummond round-bed tailstock, I was initially surprised by the appearance of the 'keep plates' ... but yours look [almost] identical.

Presumably someone at Drummond Bros. was employed to break cast iron washers in half, and keep them in pairs.

[ if I recall correctly, some engine con-rods were 'mated' in a similar fashion ]

MichaelG.

Ian Usmar07/01/2019 11:55:22
49 forum posts
10 photos

Gents thanks for this but I will need to extract it from the front end due to the chuck that is the issue and will not I don't think come through the tailstock. Am I correct in thinking that I need to remove the pin near the front and if I did and then strip the rear it will come out in one piece and allow me to work on removal of the offending chuck?

Ian Usmar07/01/2019 12:09:46
49 forum posts
10 photos

The other option is to try and drill through the back of the tailstock I believe it should be approx. 51/2 inches in length so a small pilot hole after checking length see if it should break through if not it might end up cutting the offending chuck off !! Bit brutal for my liking to be truthful.

Nicholas Farr07/01/2019 20:34:10
1737 forum posts
869 photos

Hi Ian, if you can get the pin out you shouldn't need to strip the rear end out at all as the barrel will screw completely out of the handle. The only thing stopping the barrel coming out at the front end is the pin. If it is like my one, you are likely to find it difficult to remove, as I think it is a press fit in the hole, but if it is a screw you should be able to remove it.

To try and drill it from the back will most likely prove difficult to keep it in line with the taper at the front end, 5 1/2" is a deep hole to drill at the best of times and wandering off centre is very likely. You need to decide which is the lesser of the two evils, having to replace the chuck and arbor or the risk of ruining the barrel completely. Trying to remove a pressed in pin from the outside could result in breaking the tailstock body, so it is for you to decide which way to go.

Regards Nick.

Ian Usmar07/01/2019 21:32:39
49 forum posts
10 photos

Nick believe it or not the pin came out very easily! I think you miss understood me drilling it I was hoping that I could break through if it was machined almost all the way. The measurement I was given of 51/2 inches was someone else's tail stock if so I reckon on 21/3 or so inches of thread. I have now stripped it except drawing the tail stock through as there seem to be a couple of tight spots for which it has been suggested a clean with emery cloth and oil, so that's my next step.

Regards

Ian

Nicholas Farr08/01/2019 06:33:35
1737 forum posts
869 photos

Hi Ian, it's good to hear that you are successfully progressing, just keep washing it with penetrating oil and working it back and forth and it should soon come out.

Regards Nick.

David George 108/01/2019 18:37:31
656 forum posts
221 photos

Hi Ian any luck with tailstock. It's nice to know if you have any progress.

David

Ian Usmar08/01/2019 20:47:29
49 forum posts
10 photos

So tailstock now removed but still have the issue the stuck drill chuck I have tried heat and cold and its not budged. Any suggestions was thinking soak in some derv!!

Ian Usmar12/01/2019 00:03:05
49 forum posts
10 photos

So now that i have it apart I have to make a decision, I have been in touch with Tony at Lathes.co who informs me that the Drummond were solid as standard. Do I keep it as original or bore it out ? If I leave it I could easily have the same issue again.

Michael Gilligan12/01/2019 00:16:48
12685 forum posts
549 photos
Posted by Ian Usmar on 12/01/2019 00:03:05:

So now that i have it apart I have to make a decision, I have been in touch with Tony at Lathes.co who informs me that the Drummond were solid as standard. Do I keep it as original or bore it out ? If I leave it I could easily have the same issue again.

Is it a museum-piece, or a tool ?

The answer to that should inform your decision.

MichaelG.

P.S. ... I suspect that the conservator's choice would be to make a new barrel, with a bore, and keep the old one intact for historical reference.

David George 112/01/2019 07:20:49
656 forum posts
221 photos

Hi My M Type was one of the latest which were made by Myford at Nottingham and the tailstock was bored out as standard, I believe that they saw some problems and mods like this and the dials on the slideway handles etc were necessary.

David

Nick Clarke 312/01/2019 07:47:05
184 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Ian Usmar on 12/01/2019 00:03:05:

I'm remembering the picture of the Drummond on ebay spares or repair that you mentioned. The spindle should have been solid but had been drilled at some time and the end had now snapped off.

Will drilling your tailstock barrel weaken it? Was it left solid to save on a manufacturing process, or for good design reasons?

I don't know the answer, but I would wish to be certain before doing anything irreversible.

Ian S C12/01/2019 10:18:52
7217 forum posts
227 photos

A new barrel made of something like 4140, I don't think it would need heat treatment, but the end wont fall off. Which ever way you go, a 1/4", 6 mm hole is probably enough.

Ian S C

Ian Usmar14/01/2019 17:30:26
49 forum posts
10 photos

Things are moving on BUT yes always can someone confirm its a morsetaper in the tailstock as I have some adaptors for 1mt to 2mt but the drill chuck I took put the tailstock does not seem to fit properly! I dont have the tailstock at present so was just wondering ?

Ady114/01/2019 17:42:56
3462 forum posts
513 photos

Drill a hole in it

If it ever goes on display they can put some body filler in and a dab of paint

Drummonds are for making stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest