Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

My ford lathe problem!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robbo24/12/2018 12:32:13
1504 forum posts
142 photos

John

Better but not fixed! Still have a job getting the screwdriver blade into the slot without using 2 hands.

I am supposed to be getting rid of any stuff not actually needed, so the switch can go and start a useful life.

Back in the day I used to repair Myfords, usually switched with the dreaded Dewhurst rotary, and owners were very keen to have those renovated rather than replaced with one of these vastly superior switches. I haven't seen one of these for a very long time.

If you open the message I sent we can sort out the details by email rather than in public. It won't cost you a lot laugh

john fletcher 124/12/2018 13:36:32
504 forum posts

Whilst your at it why not wire in a motor starter to give yourself No-volt protection and use it to turn on the power rather than the rotary switch. Select DOR ,then press the on green button, starters have large contact which are made to turn on motors. If you have the inclination to attempt to fix your existing rotary switch I suggest you dismantle it within a large clear plastic bag. The bag will capture any flying bits springs terminals etc, same with reassembling. Tricky job but can be done. If only Myford had fitted a motor starter interlocked with the dreaded Dewhirst all would have been well for the life of the lathe. John

John Milton 227/05/2019 18:42:42
98 forum posts
130 photos

I have the exact same switch and the exact same problem. Is there a chance someone can tell me which switch I need to replace mine please?

John Milton 227/05/2019 21:08:07
98 forum posts
130 photos

I wish I had read this post before all my little bits went flying everywhere

Neil Wyatt27/05/2019 21:18:51
15976 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

An article coming in MEW 282, out in a couple of weeks, might prove helpful.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest