By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Telephone / Internet Scams

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DMB16/02/2019 22:20:19
865 forum posts

If someone phones you, emails, texts, dodgy letterbox mail, door knockers, they want something from you, your money, loads of it!

A very tempting offer? Just think, "what's in it for me v. what's in it for them?"

Just turn the lot away and go direct to the company of interest to you. Careful use of Google or others should get you to the genuine website of that company and not a spoofed one.

Certainly don't click links in emails. The scum are getting craftier, so look and think before you open an email; doing so could automatically load malware.

You have to be in it to win it, so if you haven't taken part in some strange named lottery, how on earth could you possibly be a winner? I have personally known an acquaintance who fell for that one. I also knew of someone renewing their annual Kaspersky subs where a screen popped up claiming to be part of K in Australia, giving instructions to send the money there. That mistake cost the victim £150.

John

Chris Trice16/02/2019 22:38:39
1335 forum posts
9 photos

I will frequently tell a salesman I don't want to do something and when he asks why, I say because you want me to. It's never about for your benefit. It's for the seller.

John Olsen17/02/2019 03:31:24
937 forum posts
86 photos
1 articles

Maybe a little explanation about what a VPN is would not go amiss.

It stands for virtual private network. It is a technique where you can set up a link between two machines so that traffic between them is encrypted. So nobody in between can read the traffic. (Except maybe the NSA, GCSB and the like)

There are a couple of common situations where they may be used. One typical one is when you want to access your employers network from at home or while travelling. By setting up a secure link from your machine to the work network you can access all the things you would usually get to from your desk at work, without anyone in the public network being able to eavesdrop. This is the sort of thing Neil was referring to above, he can access company fileservers and so on without any fear of anyone being able to read it.

The other common situation where they are used is by people who are worried about the fact that their ISP can see everything that they are doing, in much the same way that the telephone company can easily listen to your phone calls. So various private companies will provide a service where all your Internet traffic goes via a VPN to their server. This means that you ISP cannot see what you are doing. Sounds very tempting if you are doing something dodgy...except that now, instead of your ISP knowing everything you are doing, the VPN provider knows everything that you are doing. Who are you going to trust? Who is the VPN provider and where are they based?

Also, using a VPN like that is pretty much the same as calling your ISP and saying "I am doing dodgy stuff." You might well attract just the kind of attention that you didn't want.

It can also potentially be used to make it look as if you are in a different country, which may make it possible to access movies that are not available in your own. eg netflix might have something available in the USA but nowhere else, so if you set up a VPN tunnel that has its far end in the USA you might be able to access it. That of course assumes that Netflix are not onto that trick, they can easily block the VPN provider if they wish.

Obviously this is only a light introduction to the topic.

John

pgk pgk18/02/2019 05:52:53
1229 forum posts
278 photos

As a simple point of interest the Opera browser includes a built-in VPN option

pgk

Ian Parkin18/02/2019 07:59:43
595 forum posts
157 photos

I had a call the other day re stopping unwanted calls.

the Indian sounding woman was most insistent that I was responsible for the landline bill and I was a homeowner and younger than 85.

i responded with well I’m 87

call ended immediately

whats the method in only targeting under 85 year Olds?

pgk pgk18/02/2019 09:33:10
1229 forum posts
278 photos

Perhaps they have a morality limit to their scam... or the tick box doesn't go high enough

(or they have a special scam for the 85+ group hoping they're demented and gullible)

JimmieS18/02/2019 09:33:27
240 forum posts
1 photos

An elderly friend plays along when he receives a scam call.. When asked to switch on his pc he explains it is another room and it will take a little time as he uses a walking stick. He then walks away from the phone, drops a biscuit tin and shouts as in pain for the caller to call an ambulance as he thinks he has broken his hip.

Without exception the line goes dead.

Harry Wilkes18/02/2019 10:34:09
636 forum posts
58 photos

One of the worst through the letter box is the Sun Life over 50 insurance ! I must get at least 1 sometimes 2 per month I return them all with 'not known at this address' to no avail Oh I hope I never bump into 'Parkie'

H

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Sarik
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest