Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

WM 240 cross slide

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
chris matthews26/11/2018 20:19:26
3 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Folks,

Apologies in advance if this is not the right category for my first post.

I took delivery of my WM 240 and have it sitting pretty on its stand, overall the quality is ok, however there appears to be considerable grit like deposits everywhere which I can only think is cast iron from the finishing process. I had to rebuild the compound today as it was super gritty, dismantling it the finish is very poor and the gib is particularly bad, anyway...

I ordered the vertical mill slide and cross slide adapter plate, when I went to fit this today I noticed the cross slide isn’t square and the right hand tee slot is out (narrow), I have contacted Warco to see what they can do but wanted to get opinions from an informed community on if this is acceptable, especially the cross slide error and if this will be transferred into the compound, tool post, tool etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

img_3216.jpg

img_3218.jpg

img_3220.jpg

img_3223.jpg

img_3224.jpg

img_3227.jpg

JasonB27/11/2018 07:05:15
16051 forum posts
1687 photos
1 articles

Second from last photo shows two round marks in the bottom of the tee slot which are likely to have been caused by a bolt or stud bottoming out. The topslide usually has Tee bolts so unlikely to be that, have you bottomed out a bolt when trying your milling attachment? This is not good as it can snap the top out of the tee or distort the whole cross slide.

How flat is the top of the cross slide as in theory the sides are not critical. Lack of a complete circular mark left by the top slide suggests it's hollow.

Edited By JasonB on 27/11/2018 07:06:25

AJW27/11/2018 08:48:51
272 forum posts
117 photos
That T slot looks very close to the edge?
Must be to spec I assume.

Alan
JasonB27/11/2018 08:52:51
16051 forum posts
1687 photos
1 articles

They are all close to the edge, same as my 280 and not been an issue in 11yrs. But if jacking studs or cap head screws into the bottom of the tee slot you are taking a risk.

Kettrinboy27/11/2018 09:18:47
75 forum posts
39 photos

I would run a dti across the crosslide top surface in both axis to check for distortion or for slope , out of interest I just did this test on my 1963 Harrison L5 crosslide and the total indicator reading over the whole crosslide slide surface was 0.01 mm which is about what I would expect , I would get in touch with Warco and just ask what the shop tolerances are for the crosslide ,and if yours is significantly worse what can be done about it , I know Harrison back in the day for example sent each new machine out with an inspection test sheet with all the parameters checked against shop tolerances.

regards Geoff

Edited By Kettrinboy on 27/11/2018 09:20:25

Mick B127/11/2018 09:35:13
1155 forum posts
64 photos

It's important - especially for vertical-slide milling but also to a degree for compound slide work - that the top surface of the cross slide is parallel to the saddle movement in the vertical plane; otherwise the vertical slide will be out of square to the spindle with all the problems that would go with that.

You could test that with a dial gauge mounted so that running the saddle back and forth would show any deflection.

Both the cross slide T-slots on my WM250V let a 10mm silver steel bar in with an easy fit - maybe a 0,1mm or so clearance.

Your top photo prompted me to put a square against the cross slide edge and top surfaces on mine, and they're also somewhat out of square, though I can't see that it would ever matter given the parallel top surface. I'd not been aware of it in 3 1/2 years' use of the lathe.

And mine too appeared to be covered in places with coarse grinding paste when I got it. I washed the stuff off with white spirit and thought no more about it.

Edited By Mick B1 on 27/11/2018 09:48:13

John Haine27/11/2018 09:46:44
2591 forum posts
133 photos

I think that looks horrible and would ask for my money back. We should not tolerate shoddy products from our suppliers.

John Hinkley27/11/2018 11:28:54
749 forum posts
252 photos

John Haine,

I think that you are assuming that it's a new lathe, as I did on reading the first bit of the post - then I scrolled down to the photos and realised it's distinctly secondhand. In which case, I doubt that Chris has any recourse to Warco for remedy. Careful checking of the various surfaces and tee slots as suggested by other respondents is the way to go, but I fear Chris, you're in for a bit of a journey with this one. Maybe replacement of the defective parts is the easier, if more expensive, way to go?

My 2d,

John

JasonB27/11/2018 12:00:28
16051 forum posts
1687 photos
1 articles

Quite cheap if you thin down the tee nutwink 2

If it is second hand then it has hardly been used or was previously owned by a tool polisher

Edited By JasonB on 27/11/2018 12:02:57

not done it yet27/11/2018 12:14:59
3248 forum posts
11 photos

I read the OP as a single owner lathe. Perhaps not new, but certainly first-hand. The pics do indicate it has been put into use and it would seem the faults(?) have only become apparent because of a new attachment being bought for it.

chris matthews27/11/2018 13:27:44
3 forum posts
6 photos

All, thanks so much for your responses, what a great community! For clarity John the lathe is new, only use has been turning some en1a to ensure it ran from the factory, I have yet to check tolerances on turning material.

the first job i need to do is mill some material so pushing to get the mill setup sorted.

The marks in the right tee slot were there when the lathe came, the tee nuts and bolts which come with the base plate don't bottom out.

Filing the tee nut will work smiley but lets see what Warco say.

will provide an update guys.

JasonB27/11/2018 13:41:17
16051 forum posts
1687 photos
1 articles

It was the LEFT hand tee slot I was commenting on, two rings as indicated, the cap heads that hold the adaptor plate to the cross slide via tee nits would be the likely candidate.screw marks.jpg

Michael Gilligan27/11/2018 13:48:56
13827 forum posts
603 photos
Posted by JasonB on 27/11/2018 13:41:17:

It was the LEFT hand tee slot I was commenting on, two rings as indicated, the cap heads that hold the adaptor plate to the cross slide via tee nits would be the likely candidate.screw marks.jpg

<< Pedant Alert >>

I knew what you meant, Jason, but

Strictly speaking, that's the 'first from last photo' not the 'second from last'

MichaelG.

angel

JasonB27/11/2018 13:57:50
16051 forum posts
1687 photos
1 articles

So it is, I probably meant to say second up or next from last, it was early in the morning.

However would you agree that they look like a screw or stud has gone beyond the bottom of a tee nut?

chris matthews27/11/2018 14:51:15
3 forum posts
6 photos

Jason I not helping myself here - I did mean the right!

Pete Rimmer27/11/2018 15:07:04
401 forum posts
18 photos

That cross slide is badly warped. It's not sitting on the ways properly and the tee slots are all skewed. Even if you're past your warranty I would raise it as an issue with the retailer.

Michael Gilligan27/11/2018 16:12:52
13827 forum posts
603 photos
Posted by JasonB on 27/11/2018 13:57:50:

So it is, I probably meant to say second up or next from last, it was early in the morning.

However would you agree that they look like a screw or stud has gone beyond the bottom of a tee nut?

Absolutely ... 100% yes

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt27/11/2018 17:06:48
16446 forum posts
686 photos
74 articles

I'd agree it looks like something has been 'mis-tightened' and I can see that distorting the slots.

In the second photo the other part of the t-slot appears to be ground square but pulled upwards which suggests it's been bent out of shape rather than badly ground. That would also explain the slot being slightly narrow.

This might not be obvious when used in normal lathe mode

Neil

John Hinkley27/11/2018 17:12:25
749 forum posts
252 photos

Well, I stand corrected! I really thought it looked used, if not abused. I would consequently be onto Warco pretty pronto to get it sorted under warranty and not try to do anything that might void it.

Good luck!

John

Edit: On further reading, if the tee slots were marked like that when delivered, can you be sure that it is "new" and not a returned item that you've been sent?  Just a thought.

Edited By John Hinkley on 27/11/2018 17:16:12

John Rudd27/11/2018 17:45:20
1365 forum posts
58 photos
Posted by John Hinkley on 27/11/2018 17:12:25:

Edit: On further reading, if the tee slots were marked like that when delivered, can you be sure that it is "new" and not a returned item that you've been sent? Just a thought.

A good thought too...but its not cricket is it, sending out a returned item...? Surely Warco dont do that?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest