Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Machine/hand reamers?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
AJW21/11/2018 21:44:23
271 forum posts
117 photos
My first embarrassing question!
I am of the understanding that a hand reamer has a long cutting taper and a machine reamer is shorter in taper.
I have never used a reamer 'by hand's as I feel the finished bore could suffer from radial movement while turning. I have only used any type in the lathe with a centre in the reamer end or if smaller in the chuck, and have never reamed under power.
What type should I be looking to purchase when used as above, or am I thinking too deep?

Alan
Pete Rimmer21/11/2018 22:02:51
364 forum posts
12 photos

The whole reason that a hand reamer has a long taper is to prevent the thing you're worried about, but if you're using the reamer in a machine either powered of hand-turned, buy machine reamers.

AJW21/11/2018 22:36:37
271 forum posts
117 photos
Thanks for that, I seem to have quite a mixture of reamer types but always use the as above.
Might try the hand ones! (by hand)

Alan
Zan21/11/2018 22:42:02
95 forum posts
2 photos

Machine readers can size a blind hole, hand cannot. Hand can be put half way down the taper to provide a force fit. It’s always best to guide a hand reamer using the centre. Hand readers need a smaller reaming allowance to stop them juddering in the hole. I have often used a hand reamer under power, but by pushing the tailstock to give some small measure of float,- not for very small ones though! I’m building a set of both.

Marcus Bowman21/11/2018 23:05:04
161 forum posts

Hemingway do a nice kit for a floating reamer holder. I made one a while ago.

Marcus

ega21/11/2018 23:05:27
1212 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 21/11/2018 22:02:51:

The whole reason that a hand reamer has a long taper is to prevent the thing you're worried about, but if you're using the reamer in a machine either powered of hand-turned, buy machine reamers.

And, I would suggest, chucking reamers rather than taper shank.

AJW21/11/2018 23:19:06
271 forum posts
117 photos
Thanks guys, it's all gone in the memory bank!

Alan
JasonB22/11/2018 07:04:53
15711 forum posts
1643 photos
1 articles

I use my hand reamers under power, just run slowly as the longer engagement length of the taper may chatter if you go too fast. I hold with a collet chuck in the tailstock when it really matters buy drill chuck if not so critical.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest