Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Valve timing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
AJW19/11/2018 19:11:06
275 forum posts
117 photos
Pressing on with my Centaur build I am about to produce camshaft with timing gears and cams.
I was considering securing the skew timing gears to their shafts with a grubscrew into a tapped hole in the bore/shaft joint - does that sound ok?
When it comes to the cams on their shaft I would like to be able to have some sort of adjustment, the drawings show these as pinned and hence fixed.
Shaft will be 3/8 in diameter and the Boss's of the cams is drawn up as 3/4 in.
Any ideas with regard to an 'adjustable fixing'?

Alan
Jon Lawes19/11/2018 19:53:06
325 forum posts

What about a vernier gear? different number of holes in two halves of the same gear, one indexed to the shaft and the other with the lobes on? or something of that ilk.

JasonB19/11/2018 19:56:40
16415 forum posts
1736 photos
1 articles

I'd stick a grub screw in the boss so you have some adjustment and then when you have it running right change for a pin of put a flat on the shaft and keep the grub screw

MichaelR19/11/2018 20:00:45
342 forum posts
57 photos

On my Centaur I used grub screws for the skew gears (not tapped into shaft) and the same for the cams, they have not moved at all during running.

Mike.

geoff walker 119/11/2018 20:18:49
331 forum posts
143 photos

http://www.plans-for-everything.com/hen_steam_engine_plans.html

Hi Alan,

Have a look at the above website.

Scroll down until you see the JEPSON engine.

Download the drawings and have a look at the adjustable cam design.

It is a simple "pinch" clamp, very effective, Takes a little time to make but much better than a grub screw.

Geoff

AJW19/11/2018 23:05:08
275 forum posts
117 photos
Thanks guys, I like the idea of the Nelson eccentric clamp but don't want it to get too bulky and obtrusive.
Depending on how much space is available I could consider a tapered collet type setup although as Jason says, once it's setup it will stay setup so the simple grubscrew changed for a pin later sounds the simplist.
What do you think about the 'end on' grubscrew in the gears/shafts as any adjustments would be made at the cam end?

Alan
JasonB20/11/2018 06:57:45
16415 forum posts
1736 photos
1 articles

If you do it at the gear end then you will only be able to adjust the cams as a pair not individually. Key the gears or at least have them solidly fixed.

Edited By JasonB on 20/11/2018 07:20:42

AJW20/11/2018 10:16:19
275 forum posts
117 photos
What I meant was! Fixing the gears to their shafts (not adjustable) then, as the cams are independent of each other, making any timing adjustments at that end.

Alan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne; London MES
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest