By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Toolholders & Inserts

Replacement for Sumitomo toolholders

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Osborne14/11/2018 10:39:17
23 forum posts
2 photos

Years ago, I bought some ‘Sumitomo’ toolholders from The ME Exhibition. From reading previous threads on this subject, I have decided the lack of availability of replacement inserts, leads me to re-equip my lathe tools.

Can anyone recommend a series of toolholder / insert that are not outrageously expensive, give good results on common metals and are not likely to be obsolete in a few years.

In anticipation

Steve Osborne

John Haine14/11/2018 10:50:25
3274 forum posts
175 photos

I ahve bought Sandvik holders and inserts at exhibitions from Greenwood Tools and generally found them very good. Have bought compatible inserts and holders also from JB Cutting Tools and equally happy.

Emgee14/11/2018 10:51:28
1654 forum posts
224 photos

Hi Stephen

If you still have the Sumitomo holders I would advise you only need to find a source of the correct type inserts from other suppliers.
All you need is the insert type code number to start a search.

Have a look on this site for the insert shape for your holder.


Edited By Emgee on 14/11/2018 10:53:16

Nigel Bennett14/11/2018 10:55:00
356 forum posts
11 photos

Have a look at JB Cutting Tools. They make toolholders for the very commonly-available inserts such as CCMT and DCMT shapes. Bear in mind that there are also CCGT and DCGT inserts, which are ground and are really sharp, unlike the CCMT/DCMT types, which are really only suited to industrial-type lathes; a Colchester Bantam size as a minimum. The -GT inserts are intended for use on aluminium, but I've used them very successfully on all materials. You can take very fine cuts indeed with them, not something you can do with the -MT inserts.

Ebay is a source of the CCGT/DCGT and other shaped inserts; many of them come from China, so they may not be as good as European or Japanese ones - but they're often very reasonably priced.

Downside is that the -GT inserts are extremely brittle - I've bust more than one by accidentally moving the carriage and hitting the stationary chuck when I've been cleaning the lathe!

JB Cutting tools (usual disclaimer) are very helpful - give them a ring (01246 418110) to discuss!

Zan14/11/2018 12:44:42
178 forum posts
12 photos

Totally agree with Nigel my summitomo tools are fitted with inserts from JB. CCMT 060402. Give them a bell and Jenny or Paul will sort you out . No need to buy new holders...edit, they work brilliantly on a S7 no problems with deep  1/8” or very fine cuts 1/2 thou

Edited By Zan on 14/11/2018 12:46:59

JasonB14/11/2018 13:28:45
18659 forum posts
2049 photos
1 articles

Would really depend on what Sumi holders you have if they are a more obscure and older design you will have a job getting inserts to suit which is why I assume you are asking. What is the holder ref and what is the insert ref?

If they are some Sumi specific peg or clamp style then you won't be able to put CC** or DC** insert on them

Tim Chambers14/11/2018 14:18:14
85 forum posts
33 photos

Here you go,I bought these this summer and have been very pleased with them.


John Reese15/11/2018 02:48:11
847 forum posts

If the holders are in god shape I don't see any benefit replacing them if they use a common type of insert.

Emgee15/11/2018 09:25:08
1654 forum posts
224 photos

I find this tip shape allows good area of support in the tool so lessening any vibration problems, the 07 type holders do leave the cutting tip out on a limb with very little support.


The tips supplied are 04 nose radius, not 02 in the link Tim posted.


Ketan Swali15/11/2018 09:27:53
1273 forum posts
105 photos
Posted by John Reese on 15/11/2018 02:48:11:

If the holders are in god shape I don't see any benefit replacing them if they use a common type of insert.

i shall pray for you my son. devil

Ketan Swali15/11/2018 11:10:55
1273 forum posts
105 photos

I forgot the name of the chap who used to demonstrate and sell Sumitomo holders at the ME shows, some fifteen+ years ago.

However, I am aware that the inserts for the holders he sold were unique to Sumitomo, rather than the common sizes.

ARC started selling the common Sumitomo holders and common Sumitomo inserts around 2011.

Once the chap who demonstrated at the shows retired, we started getting enquiries for the special inserts, but we were unable to service initially due to price/moq.... and in some cases certain inserts became obsolete in Sumitomos range. It was cheaper to switch to the more common holders and inserts, be they Sumitomo or any other.

Ketan at ARC


Edited By Ketan Swali on 15/11/2018 11:19:24

ega15/11/2018 11:12:26
1790 forum posts
153 photos

I shall continue to pray for an effective spell checker - not that it would have saved this typo.

Stephen Osborne16/11/2018 19:00:44
23 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks for all the replies especially Ketan Swall. The reason for my post was that I have had great difficulty sourcing inserts. JB found me some inserts for the turning holders but took months to find inserts for the boring bar. They are obviously rare and possibly obsolete.

The code numbers on the holders do not seem to match those on replacement insert websites eg:



My holders are in excellent condition, but I would like to replace them now. Any recommendations gratefully appreciated.


Mike Lightfoot16/11/2018 19:36:49
76 forum posts
24 photos

Stephen, I too have some old sumitomo tools and quite right they are odd sizes i did however find a source i seem to remember liverpool or wigan way ill see if i can did the info out over the weekend.

Mike Lightfoot16/11/2018 20:51:54
76 forum posts
24 photos

Stephen its just come to me the company i delt with were in the stages of merging with Lloyd Jones so give them a call

Muzzer16/11/2018 20:55:16
2904 forum posts
448 photos
Posted by Stephen Osborne on 16/11/2018 19:00:44:

The code numbers on the holders do not seem to match those on replacement insert websites eg:



The "SCLCR" designator tells you what the toolholder looks like and what insert it takes. It's an ISO std (as is the insert designation). There's a quick guide here although most manufacturers will include it in their catalogues of industry std tools.

No idea about the "BBPT" markings. Suspect they are a proprietary system that may predate the ISO std.


Edit - should have said that the SCLCR is probably the most common boring bar style we encounter. It takes the CCMT / CCGT inserts although be aware there are several different sizes.

Edited By Muzzer on 16/11/2018 20:57:32

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest