By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

AF socket sets. Are they extinct

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Tinsley12/11/2018 20:12:37
899 forum posts

My B has Rostyles, I would not touch wire wheels, I have enough trouble with most things and I could well do without wires!

I think that those who recommend 3/8" sockets are optimistic. Some of the stubborn nuts I have encountered need at least !/2" drives if not 3/4"!

Andrew.

Hillclimber13/11/2018 07:19:24
138 forum posts
36 photos

Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 12/11/2018 20:12:37:

I think that those who recommend 3/8" sockets are optimistic.

Andrew.

*experienced*

not done it yet13/11/2018 09:10:25
3128 forum posts
11 photos

1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets, on their own, are for boys (and girls) with little toys. Together with 1/2 and/or 3/4 drives, the smaller sockets are good where access is limited. A larger drive will work on a smaller fixing, but not so likely the other way round.

The only limit is the weight and/or volume for the larger items.

I doubt there are many fixings larger than 3/4” AF on most cars. (OK, there are 44mm,or 47mm, nuts on the halfshafts/wheel bearings of morris minors!).

I am kitted out with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1” drives. But I would not be carrying them around, in a car, all the time.

A 12 volt lightweight rattle gun might be the answer for roadside use. Ratchet rings and open enders are always useful for restricted access. As an aside, Landrover nuts and bolts required different sized spanners, so spanners need not be duplicated. Spanner kits had different sizes at each end of the spanner, so there were always two spanners with the same jaw size. Not so, with the more moden ring, with open end, combination spanners. Open enders ( of some form) are always needed for brake pipes.

For a set of spanners, for a specific car, it cannot be too difficult to colour code sockets or spanners, I would have thought? Don’t forget the lead lamp, or wind-up torch for night time repairs.smiley

Chris Evans 613/11/2018 09:22:04
1440 forum posts

At 70 years old if a roadside repair can't be done with a few simple tools the AA get a call.

No excuse for overtight wheel nuts and stuck alloy wheels. Spend a couple of hours one day removing the wheels/cleaning the hub and applying a little anti seize grease. Torque up to correct poundage and the normal kit will undo the nuts.

Mike Poole13/11/2018 09:50:36
2011 forum posts
46 photos

For motorcycle work I prefer 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets but cars seem to have lots of bits that get attacked by rust and need the extra grunt that can be applied with 1/2” drive or bigger. I do not own a breaker bar but as I am not as powerful as I used to be I am thinking of getting one. I dont work on cars much these days as the interest wore off long ago and I prefer to pay someone else to do it now most of the time. It’s funny how manufacturers  have different solutions to things, Honda often use 2 M6 screws to fix the gearbox sprocket but Triumph use a 36mm AF nut and its tight!

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 13/11/2018 09:51:20

Ady113/11/2018 10:07:28
3463 forum posts
513 photos

A 12 volt lightweight rattle gun might be the answer for roadside use

I have found the corded 240v Lidl gun good for wheelnuts but both my cordless Lidl ones failed the random wheelnut test

So I removed all nuts, greased and replaced tthem

Am leaving them a few weeks then testing again

I've also just got a simple torque wrench being sent in the post to test those guns, especially the cordless units, just to see what they are really capable of

Don’t forget the lead lamp, or wind-up torch for night time repairs

Have just found this little beaut at TKmax. It's basically a pocketsized worklight, uses 3xAAA and weighs almost nothing

Edited By Ady1 on 13/11/2018 10:17:19

Andrew Tinsley13/11/2018 10:17:36
899 forum posts

In the wilds of France, you can't call out the AA. Try getting breakdown cover for a near 40 year car used for continental travel! Hence a comprehensive toolkit and loads of spares. French Garages don't use AF either.

Andrew.

Ian S C13/11/2018 10:24:32
7421 forum posts
230 photos

If a 1/2" socket won't move a nut, the angle grinder will (or a nut splitter).

Ian S C

Russell Eberhardt13/11/2018 10:35:30
2463 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 13/11/2018 10:17:36:

In the wilds of France, you can't call out the AA.

It's a different system in France. Most, if not all, car insurance includes roadside assistance and recovery. In the event of a breakdown you just call the insurance company and they will send out someone from the nearest approved garage. It seems to work well.

Russell

Howard Lewis14/11/2018 23:13:04
2136 forum posts
2 photos

If you buy a set of Metrinch sockets (your choice as to 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive) you can deal with BSW/BSF, A/F or Metric heads. They feel a little slack at first, but will deal with greater torques because they don't drive on the corners, but on the flats. They will slacken fixings that conventional sockets will not, even after the corners have been rounded.

I have just donated my late father's thirties 7/16 hexagon drive Britool socket set to the WaterWorks Museum. I first used it in the mid fifties. Although not used for the past thirty years, only one socket needed replacement, in the late 60s. (A much used A/f socket) .

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest