By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23


All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ray jones 106/11/2018 04:43:57
47 forum posts
25 photos


I have just purchased a RF 31 BENCH MILL.

It is made by RONG FU Taiwan.

It is new, unused but "shop soiled"

I need a few additional parts for it.

It is well made, robust and heavy weight is 600lbs +

I have contacted the original supplier in USA, - -his name plate is on the machine.

He says he has no european contacts and cannot help..

Does anyone know of an agent or supplier in UK or Europemodel engineer.jpg

I appreciate all advice thank you


Paul Lousick06/11/2018 05:08:21
1073 forum posts
479 photos

It is often re-badged under a different name. Should be somewhere in your area that sells them.

Where do you live ?

ray jones 106/11/2018 05:10:56
47 forum posts
25 photos

HI I live in WALES,

Thank you ray

Paul Lousick06/11/2018 05:15:12
1073 forum posts
479 photos

Not able to help you Ray, I live in New South Wales, Australia.

Someone on MEW should be able to point you in the right direction.

I have an RF-45 and very happy with it,


Alan Waddington 206/11/2018 07:41:23
425 forum posts
86 photos

What parts do you need Ray ?

ray jones 106/11/2018 08:47:24
47 forum posts
25 photos

Hi in the short term I am looking for

1/ a 3 MT DRIVE SLEEVE, It is currently fitted with R 8, BUT MT 3 is optional in the parts catalogue

2/ QUILL clamp locking lever - this is missing

Thank you ray

mechman4806/11/2018 08:55:53
2365 forum posts
373 photos

Have a look at...


**LINK** … Major Mill/drill.

They look to be in the same family as your RF31 ... Usual disclaimer applies in all cases..., just thought they may be able to help.


Michael Gilligan06/11/2018 09:10:59
13072 forum posts
570 photos


I can't help with the spares but, may I just mention that R8 seems a much more appropriate fitting than Morse Taper.

... Do you have lots of MT tooling already ?


Ron Laden06/11/2018 09:32:39
1043 forum posts
159 photos

Ray, looking at the pictures on the links posted by mechman, although not clear it looks like the quill locking lever is a Bristol Handle like the two fitted at the front to lock the X axis, though it may be a different size. You can pick those up anywhere and I think Warco list a selection of them


Mike Poole06/11/2018 09:35:32
1924 forum posts
46 photos

Personally R8 would be my first choice for the spindle taper, changing the spindle seems likely to be a major hassle and probably costly. Arceurotrade have adapters for R8 to MT3 if you just want to have the facility for taper tooling. If you have already got MT 3 tooling it may be cheaper and easier to replace it with R8 tooling rather than change the spindle. R8 collets give a useful saving in headroom but an R8 ER chuck and collet set will hold most cutters and straight shank drills and is a very convenient method of cutter holding.


Simon Williams 306/11/2018 09:41:03
384 forum posts
65 photos

Hi Ray, I've got an RF25 badged as Alpine Engineering - hitherto of the West Midlands, but long since defunct. When I bought it it came in two variants, either MT3 OR R8 up the spindle, i.e. there were two models available which had different spindles fitted. I bought the MT3 version so I could use taper twist drills in it. The RF-30 which was also available at the time was bigger and heavier, I'm guessing that an RF31 is something the same.

My recollection is you can buy an R8 to MT2 adaptor, but an R8 to MT3 is essentially a jump sleeve as the internal size of the R8 taper isn't big enough to accommodate an internal MT3 socket. I think you may find that the overall length of such a thing will use up most if not all of your headroom under the spindle nose. I can find an R8 to MT3 adaptor on ebay for about a tenner, but it may not do what you want because of its length. Search "R8 to MT3 adaptor".

I could well be wrong, but I believe that the MT3 spindle as shown in the parts list is a "swap the whole spindle" job, not just an adaptor to push up the (R8) hole. Is this what you want to do? Are you looking for a spare spindle with an MT3 socket or an adaptor?

I no longer have the parts list for mine to check this - long since eaten by the fairies down the back of the bench - but can I suggest you check the parts diagram carefully.

The quill clamp locking lever is a simple thing to make if it is the same as mine, - it's a threaded bolt bent to a near right angle to make a comfortable handle. It pulls two cylindrical pads into contact with the rear of the quill in a cross drilling in the casting. How much of this is missing? I'll post a picture of the bits later.

HTH Simon

Alan Waddington 206/11/2018 10:06:13
425 forum posts
86 photos

Yeah as Simon suggests, i reckon MT3 would have been an alternative to R8 from the factory, not a retro fit item.

R8 is really a better system for milling than MT, and as it was widely used in industrial machines, Bridgeport etc, there is a wealth of secondhand tooling about.

JasonB06/11/2018 10:18:43
15354 forum posts
1580 photos

Almost the same as Grizzly's G0705, parts and user manual can be downloaded from them.

As said MT/R8 are usually factory options unless you want to completely strip the machine and change the spindle.

If you want to run MT3 then stuck one of these up it, but not quite as rigid and you loose height

Simon Williams 306/11/2018 12:05:52
384 forum posts
65 photos
Posted by JasonB on 06/11/2018 10:18:43:

If you want to run MT3 then stuck one of these up it,

… and note the comment on their website that this adaptor is not suitable to accept an MT3 tool with a tang. There's no socket for the standard morse tang up the spout.

Rgds Simon

ega06/11/2018 12:06:04
1156 forum posts
95 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 06/11/2018 09:35:32:

... If you have already got MT 3 tooling it may be cheaper and easier to replace it with R8 tooling rather than change the spindle....


And you could get a fair price for the unwanted MT3 tooling by advertising here.

JasonB06/11/2018 12:15:51
15354 forum posts
1580 photos

I suggested the non tang version as I thought it more likely that it would be used for milling and the drawbar would be the best bet but if you want to use a tanged drill chuck then use these

Neil Wyatt06/11/2018 13:45:50
15962 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

Well as the photo shows the OP already has an R8 chuck (the adaptor is fitted in the spindle) and an R8 shell end mill, I'd just get a generic R8-MT3 adaptor to allowMT3 tooling to be used as well.

I suspect this is exactly what the "3 MT DRIVE SLEEVE" is.


mgnbuk06/11/2018 13:59:58
506 forum posts
10 photos

Well as the photo shows the OP already has an R8 chuck

The photo also shows a quill clamp lever fitted, so is possibly a "generic" photo of the particular machine & not the OP's own.

Nigel B

Vic06/11/2018 14:15:34
2044 forum posts
10 photos

You could try contacting the manufacturer direct?


larry phelan 106/11/2018 14:58:55
416 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Ray Jones,

Our post office has a service whereby they will collect items delivered to an address in America,and arrange for collection in my local Post Office,for a small charge.

Dont know if this would be of any interest to you,but it,s a bit nearer to your home patch.

Just a thought !!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest