Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Ayesha 2 and bigger chaps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RevStew02/11/2018 17:03:51
87 forum posts

Hi all.

Having exchanged a few emails with a nice chap from the 2 1/2 inch gauge society, I find myself interested in the 'Ayesha 2' as a possible build choice. I'm 6 feet 3 and just shy of 18 stone, (around 250 lbs). Is that choice of loco dead before it's started?

I believe LBSC himself was only slight, and the pre-war guys weren't as nourished as we are today, so maybe they didn't have such an issue!

Cheers people!

Edited By RevStew on 02/11/2018 17:04:32

not done it yet02/11/2018 17:36:36
3476 forum posts
15 photos

Sorry if this appears a bit too personal, but with a BMI of well over 30, an alternative might be to lose some weight? Many of us are rather ‘over-nourished’ these days.smiley I’m currently trying to shed about 3 kg, to get my BMI down to 25.

RevStew02/11/2018 17:43:22
87 forum posts

Yup, you're dead on. I seem to be eating OK, but wine and a more sedentary job, and medication for a few things are not helping me. I'm not gaining weight, but not losing either. Serious effort needed! I'd dearly love to be a good bit thinner. I was very good all through my 20's and 30's, 15 to 16 stone, a keen mountain biker and fell walker, but now in mid 40's the old body needs a bit of work!

not done it yet02/11/2018 18:23:55
3476 forum posts
15 photos

You are right, it is hard to lose weight, but last year I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

I occasionally spend two or three days fasting, only drinking water. It gets me to where my previous doctor stopped nagging me, although he gave me a target of 70kg - which is not attainable without me looking really haggard!

It also helps to get my blood tests below the pre-diabetic level. I do feel easier at 75kg - just climbing the stairs, not carrying the equivalent of 3 or 4 bags of sugar, is certainly noticeable to me.

I can’t comment on the loco maximum load, mind. smiley

John Baguley02/11/2018 18:42:54
428 forum posts
46 photos

I'm probably a bit biased but I get to drive LBSC's Ayesha whenever I want. It's well worn now but has no problem pulling me and heavier drivers.

LBSC was always extolling Ayesha's passenger hauling capabilities and said that he often pulled more than two passengers as well as himself. I'm sure that the old girl would still pull a couple of people given a suitable truck and some decent steel rail for adhesion.

I think of more importance than the power of the loco is having a very free running driving truck. Quite a few of us have changed to the David Hudson design with the self steering axles. These are very free running indeed, especially around curves and take very little tractive effort to pull along.

John

RevStew03/11/2018 09:52:05
87 forum posts

Thanks chaps. I think i have my motivation now!

John, you lucky guy, that's a living piece of history, It must be quite something to drive that engine. It must be close to 100 years old now. I'm so happy that she's still being run. I think Curly would be very very happy about that.

old Al03/11/2018 11:17:43
141 forum posts

The Ayesha 2 is an excellent model to build. A lot of work was carried out to make sure the drawings did not have mistakes in them. The loco is easy to make, cost little in castings, has a boiler that can be made at home, looks good in any of its liveries and goes well. What more can you ask for.

Good luck with it and join the 2 1/2" association, money well spent. Nice bunch of people that meet all around the country with their engines that they can pick up one handed!

Jan B03/11/2018 18:23:29
21 forum posts
10 photos

Does Ayesha still have her original boiler, or has it been replaced with a new one?

Jan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest