Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Myford Super 7 Serial Number Missing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Johnstone27/10/2018 14:37:01
11 forum posts
34 photos

I've just acquired a Super 7, partially disassembled, and for the life of me I can't find a serial number on it. I've read through other threads on possible locations to no avail. I've even tried scraping paint of here and there, in the hopes that it might be buried under what looks to be a repaint. No joy.

The bed casting has the raised "Made in England" and "M3" (with a "5" just above and to the right) on the back, below the gap and the headstock.

I've looked on both edges of the ways, both front and back, on the tops of the ways, on the right hand end of the casting where the leadscrew hand wheel is, on the back machined surface (where the taper attachment bolts?) and underneath the feet. The only place left to look is under the headstock mating surface. Were serial numbers ever put there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian Wood27/10/2018 15:23:56
1930 forum posts
37 photos

Bob,

My lathe is an ML7R with the S7 headstock. The serial number is directly under the flat of the front shear just to the right of the gap, visible looking directly at that detail, and should start SK------------ Get a good light to help you, but the numbers are usually quite well stamped.

They were NOT hidden in obscure places!

Brian

ega27/10/2018 17:03:52
1214 forum posts
101 photos

The bed may have been re-ground/milled thereby erasing the serial. I think a pukka re-grinder would have re-stamped the number, however.

Brian Wood27/10/2018 17:12:09
1930 forum posts
37 photos

Ega,

Ah, I hadn't thought of that but like you I think the number should have been restored. Myford used to add a code letter to the beds they reground so that the evidence was preserved, but that was Myford practice and not necessarily copied by others

Brian

ega27/10/2018 17:22:36
1214 forum posts
101 photos

Brian Wood:

I didn't know about the code letter. Presumably this was done because Myford had a policy about the number of re-grinds that the bed could accept.

John Baron27/10/2018 18:16:29
90 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Guys,

It could be one of the Taiwanese clone Myfords, or just the bed and rebuilt.

AJW27/10/2018 19:52:49
271 forum posts
117 photos
Taiwanese clones?
Really?

Alan
V8Eng27/10/2018 20:13:17
1311 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by AJW on 27/10/2018 19:52:49:
Taiwanese clones?
Really?

Alan

Yes a quick look at the Lathes site will pick them up.

Link to same. **LINK**

AJW29/10/2018 13:05:57
271 forum posts
117 photos
I had forgotten about those! I think I can remember seeing some at a Model Engineering Exhibition many years ago and thought they seemed very crudely finished.

Alan
Martin Kyte29/10/2018 13:35:48
1463 forum posts
24 photos

Either on the facing for the rack just to the right of the gap or on the rear of the lathe on the vertical shear at the tailstock end.

regards Martin

KWIL29/10/2018 14:33:40
3105 forum posts
56 photos

There is always the possibility that the bed was a Replacement (spare part) and so would not have a machine number allocated!

KWIL29/10/2018 14:37:55
3105 forum posts
56 photos

A further point, measure the widths and thickness of the shears, that will give an indication of regrind.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest