Forged & Filed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mick B111/10/2018 09:35:17
728 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/10/2018 09:14:59:

Neil

(It's always possible that he made it for the Cenobites....)

Yeah - they give me the creeps, too - or rather the frame of mind that dreamt them up. surprise

Oldiron11/10/2018 11:25:36
218 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/10/2018 09:11:08:I was more thinking that he doesn't appear to lift the file for the return stroke, although it could be the sound effects.

Neil

To lift or not to lift will always be a debatable subject. When I did my time the instructor always told us " lifting the file and banging it back down was a waste of effort, Just remove all down pressure and draw the file backwards which helps to eject any chips attached to the file" " always finish on a forward stroke." ( no comments pls Whether this was right or wrong I had no idea at the time and still don't so I have followed that routine ever since. The use of a file card at regular intervals is the key to file life as far as I can see. With the advancement of modern methods I have no wish to find out whether a file can be worn out or not by my physical exertions.

regards

Zebethyal11/10/2018 11:27:53
171 forum posts

Seth Gould is currently a resident artist at the Penland School of Crafts, this allows him to concentrate on specific items like this chest without having to worry about commissioned work.

He also teaches blacksmithing at the school and runs workshops for specific projects such as hammers or dividers.

Edited By Zebethyal on 11/10/2018 11:28:03

Neil Wyatt11/10/2018 17:11:42
14425 forum posts
611 photos
70 articles
Posted by Zebethyal on 11/10/2018 11:27:53:

Seth Gould is currently a resident artist at the Penland School of Crafts, this allows him to concentrate on specific items like this chest without having to worry about commissioned work.

He also teaches blacksmithing at the school and runs workshops for specific projects such as hammers or dividers.

Edited By Zebethyal on 11/10/2018 11:28:03

Interesting stuff!

penland.org/residencies/resident-artist-program/

One of my brothers runs a pottery studio at one of the Camphill communities.

Neil

Mike Poole11/10/2018 20:13:11
1497 forum posts
41 photos
Posted by Oldiron on 11/10/2018 11:25:36:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/10/2018 09:11:08:I was more thinking that he doesn't appear to lift the file for the return stroke, although it could be the sound effects.

Neil

To lift or not to lift will always be a debatable subject. When I did my time the instructor always told us " lifting the file and banging it back down was a waste of effort, Just remove all down pressure and draw the file backwards which helps to eject any chips attached to the file" " always finish on a forward stroke." ( no comments pls Whether this was right or wrong I had no idea at the time and still don't so I have followed that routine ever since. The use of a file card at regular intervals is the key to file life as far as I can see. With the advancement of modern methods I have no wish to find out whether a file can be worn out or not by my physical exertions.

regards

I practice the zero pressure return for the same reasons and if the material is pinning badly I may apply a bit of pressure during the roughing stages and chalk the file.

Mike

Neil Wyatt11/10/2018 21:52:26
14425 forum posts
611 photos
70 articles

As I say, it may just have been sound effects, but it didn't sound like it was being pulled backwards without any down pressure.

Neil

David Standing 112/10/2018 10:38:55
1076 forum posts
41 photos

Thanks for posting that Jason, it is an absolute work of genius.

To those that comment about bypassing the security etc, you are totally missing the point.

It was made as a demonstration of Seth's work, and is a puzzle, not Fort Knox.

Know the sequence, and you can unlock it. It isn't any sort of security box.

Ian Skeldon 212/10/2018 13:31:31
296 forum posts
27 photos

Fantastic, I can't begin to even imagine how the work flow was mapped out for something like that. Big respect.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Sept 5
Eccentric Engineering
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
Sarik
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest