Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

orientation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Skeldon 227/09/2018 18:40:21
541 forum posts
54 photos

After enjoying early easy success with both Fusion and my creality ender printer I have now hit a problem which I am sure is easy to resolve, but I just can't work out., all help much appreciated.

I am trying to print out a disc, like a thick washer with no hole in it.

Fusion has drawn it perfectly (well it wasn't much of a challenge).

When I select it and send it to Cura, cura tries to print it on it's side.

I have tried all sorts of things in fusion but to no avail.

Please go easy with me, I am sure it's me being stupid, but now the fog is so thick I just can't sort it out....

Enough!27/09/2018 19:00:09
1719 forum posts
1 photos

One of the Cura icons that open up over the model screen will let you rotate about X, Y or Z axes. You can then save it in that orientation

If you want it to be "right way up" when you open it the first time, you'll need to orient the axes correctly when you model it in Fusion.

Alan Vos27/09/2018 19:07:06
162 forum posts
7 photos

In Cura, select the object, click on the rotate icon, drag the red circle round to +/- 90 degrees as required. Job done.

Steve F27/09/2018 19:16:26
96 forum posts
25 photos

Hi

Are you sure you are drawing with the axis set correctly in Fusion. In the preferences there is a setting called "default modelling orientation. The default for this (no idea why) is Y up. Everything you draw has to turned to print. Took me ages to find it. Change it to Z up. Things look a whole lot better

regards

Steve

Ian Skeldon 227/09/2018 19:20:02
541 forum posts
54 photos

Guy's I am extremely grateful, I will sort out my fusion orintation when next open but for now I can crack on and print this item, crazy really as it's the smallest and most simple thing I have done with 3d printing.

Once again, many thanks,

Ian

Enough!27/09/2018 19:38:15
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Steve F on 27/09/2018 19:16:26:The default for this (no idea why) is Y up. Everything you draw has to turned to print.

The default is with X and Y in the screen plane (Y vertical, X horizontal) and Z coming out of the screen. It's the default with many (most?) CAD packages including my 20 year-old Pro/E. At least you can change yours easily. sad

The more curious thing, perhaps, is why slicers don't use the same default.

Ian Skeldon 227/09/2018 20:01:03
541 forum posts
54 photos

Well that was easily sorted out once pointed in the right direction, fusion prefs now set to 'z' up, thanks again guys.

Neil Wyatt27/09/2018 20:01:07
19076 forum posts
736 photos
80 articles
Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 27/09/2018 18:40:21:

After enjoying early easy success with both Fusion and my creality ender printer I have now hit a problem which I am sure is easy to resolve, but I just can't work out., all help much appreciated.

I am trying to print out a disc, like a thick washer with no hole in it.

Fusion has drawn it perfectly (well it wasn't much of a challenge).

When I select it and send it to Cura, cura tries to print it on it's side.

I have tried all sorts of things in fusion but to no avail.

Please go easy with me, I am sure it's me being stupid, but now the fog is so thick I just can't sort it out....

Probably you have it in the wrong plane.

Just use the rotate controls to flip it 90 degrees in Cura.

You should have three icons move, rotate and scale whatever version of Cura you have.

Neil

Alan Vos27/09/2018 20:53:23
162 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 27/09/2018 19:38:15:

The default is with X and Y in the screen plane (Y vertical, X horizontal) and Z coming out of the screen. It's the default with many (most?) CAD packages including my 20 year-old Pro/E. At least you can change yours easily. sad

The more curious thing, perhaps, is why slicers don't use the same default.

The original problem is solved, so I feel free to diverge

CAD developed from the traditional drawing board where, like a simple graph, X is horizontal and Y is vertical.

3D printing developed from CNC machining, where Z is vertical.

Just an idea, No proof offered. The difference may be due to something else.

Gary Wooding28/09/2018 15:02:44
993 forum posts
254 photos

In Fusion, the Z-axis is coloured blue, X is red, and Y is green.

Enough!28/09/2018 18:28:04
1719 forum posts
1 photos

I figured out how to change the co-ordinate axes setup on my (old) Pro/E. To save figuring out the right (slicer) orientation by trial and error could someone with the correct setup (in fusion or other) tell me what in which directions his axes are pointing please?

Gary Wooding28/09/2018 22:06:08
993 forum posts
254 photos

Like I said in my post, Z-axis is blue

X-axis is red

Y-axis is green

axes.jpg

Enough!28/09/2018 22:10:34
1719 forum posts
1 photos

... so Z and X are in the screen plane; Y is into the screen. Thanks, Gary (I'm not using Fusion).

Gary Wooding28/09/2018 22:25:53
993 forum posts
254 photos

Another way of looking at it is...it's rather like a vertical mill: X-axis (red) goes left to right, Y-axis (green) goes away from you, and Z-axis (blue) goes up and down.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate