Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

A Big Treat coming for Readers of MEW

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steambuff02/10/2018 22:01:47
519 forum posts
7 photos

Does anyone know how Atom3D compares with '3d Systems Cubify Design'?

Looking at the history they both seem to have the same origins.

Is it going to be worth £200 to upgrade? In fact is it going to be worth me downloading the trial? Are MEW subscribers going to get a discount when the trial period ends?

Dave

Neil Wyatt02/10/2018 22:33:32
18805 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles

The only way to know if its worth it is to try it.

The chief benefits seem to be:

• Your data sits on your computer and you aren't hostage to future changes in a 'cloud' operator's policy.
  • A fairly short learning curve as there are not a huge number of operations to understand and they all work in consistent ways.
  • The tutorial series that will appear in MEW and support materials on this website will use relevant examples - mostly designs that have previously appeared in MEW.
  • If you do buy, then you get it outright, no forced upgrades or support fees.

i don't know if there will be any offers, but the more people doing the trial, I imagine the more the incentive to convert those people into long term users...

I do know Alibre want to a have thriving hobbyist user base - they aren't just looking to convert students into users of the top-end systems.

Neil

JasonB03/10/2018 07:03:15
21629 forum posts
2493 photos
1 articles

Dave, Atom3D is very much like Cubify Design which in turn was like the older Alibre PE ( Personal Edition) all are basically the same to use as the full blown Alibre but with a few of the bells and whistles disabled. This shows what the various versions do, Atom should have more than enough for most hobby users.

Also worth mentioning that Alibre also has a user forum and tutorials can be found on the likes of Youtube. Worth having a look at the Gallery section of the forum to see what it can do once you get the hang of things, quite a few ME subjects there.

Edited By JasonB on 03/10/2018 07:04:14

Bill Pudney03/10/2018 07:51:58
569 forum posts
24 photos

I hope that the contact people at Alibre now have better developed people skills than the manager of their Australian office a few years ago................

cheers

Bill

Martin 10003/10/2018 10:37:45
274 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Muzzer on 02/10/2018 18:53:47:

There was another factor that caused me to stop using my works Solidworks licence - the longer I used it, the more work would be at risk of loss unless I were eventually to buy a license myself, at vast initial (and eyewatering ongoing "maintenance" costs. This greedy behaviour on the part of Solidworks is of course the very opportunity that the Fusion team is capitalising on.

I downloaded the 2018 version of the 'free' Solidworks eDrawings Viewer a while ago as the previous version became incapable of handling newer file versions. To enable the download they require all your contact details regardless of if you are using the viewer commercially or at home (in hindsight 'fake' details with a disposable email address might have worked) . Since then the sales rep has contacted me several times by email wanting to run a demo 'at my premises' and now they are in contact yet again offering three years interest free credit on a Solidworks licence.

In contrast despite 'using' Fusion 360 for a long time there have so far been no attempts to get me to pay to upgrade.

But ultimately I wouldn't trust any software that relies on 'the cloud' nor indeed any software that requires an activation process or a dongle and I'm not sure the 'free' use model for F360 will remain forever. While cloud storage may be useful in backup capability and flexibility in location of use it can also go very wrong with designs lost or leaked.

For most use cases just sell high quality properly debugged software to me on durable media, that I can copy myself, at a reasonable price, if necessary give me a key that will never ever expire regardless of any hardware upgrades I make, giving me software on a platform that will be around as long as I decide. If it's complicated enough to use then provide a support forum that is free to use and above all make your sales people simply go away until I decide I want to 'upgrade'.

Neil Wyatt03/10/2018 11:29:24
18805 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles
Posted by Bill Pudney on 03/10/2018 07:51:58:

I hope that the contact people at Alibre now have better developed people skills than the manager of their Australian office a few years ago................

cheers

Bill

Go back a page and click on the link I posted.

Alibre was bought up by a company whose focus was not on the hobby level product.

Fairly recently several of the original team bought back the rights to Alibre.

Neil

Neil Wyatt03/10/2018 11:34:06
18805 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles
Posted by Martin 100 on 03/10/2018 10:37:45:

For most use cases just sell high quality properly debugged software to me on durable media, that I can copy myself, at a reasonable price, if necessary give me a key that will never ever expire regardless of any hardware upgrades I make, giving me software on a platform that will be around as long as I decide. If it's complicated enough to use then provide a support forum that is free to use and above all make your sales people simply go away until I decide I want to 'upgrade'.

Cloud systems allow the software vendor to know what use people are making of the package so they can see when someone should be paying more or identify marketing opportunities.

Obviously different packages will suit different people, but I suspect you are exactly the sort of user Alibre are looking for!

Neil

Muzzer03/10/2018 12:51:25
2904 forum posts
448 photos
Posted by JasonB on 02/10/2018 19:19:48:

I suppose the same could have been said for your old Alibre, had you exported the files in another format before you were unable to use them they could have been opened in another program.

The trial ran out before I had a replacement. Then my daughter needed some help getting up to speed with Solid Edge and I played with this for a while. Very nice and powerful, proper professional stuff. Then her trial finished and I had access to Solidworks through my job. I have yet to see any mainstream programs that can import native Alibre files, so you are stuck with exporting as STP and IGS which lose most of the model parameters - it's hardly worth doing.

As I recall, the license cost for Alibre was pretty steep, there was no "hobby" pricing and the local rep (covering Canada) was pretty condescending (insulting in fact), so we left it there. Yes, I know it's under new ownership.

30 or even 90 day trials are all very well but just be aware that the time you invest and the work you produce won't be 100 recoverable if you change horses. I enjoyed learning each of SE, SW, Onshape, Inventor and Fusion in a structured, methodical way but if you are just trying to get something done, you might want to look at ongoing costs and whether the features you want are there (or cost extra) before you start.

Murray

Andrew Johnston03/10/2018 13:05:14
6316 forum posts
677 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/10/2018 11:29:24:

Alibre was bought up by a company whose focus was not on the hobby level product.

The focus wasn't on the product full stop, not just the hobby end. I've been using Alibre Expert for 12+ years but I almost got to the point of dumping it and moving on. If some of the original team hadn't bought it back I'd have stopped paying maintenance by now.

Andrew

Neil Wyatt03/10/2018 14:10:50
18805 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles
Posted by Muzzer on 03/10/2018 12:51:25:

As I recall, the license cost for Alibre was pretty steep, there was no "hobby" pricing and the local rep (covering Canada) was pretty condescending (insulting in fact), so we left it there. Yes, I know it's under new ownership.

I think it's fair to say that's why it's under new ownership, or more accurately back with the original owners who did have hobby pricings etc.

Neil

Mark Rand03/10/2018 15:20:28
1081 forum posts
12 photos

So, while waiting for it to turn up:- how long will the trial be and how long will the educational series be? Pretty pleeze.

Edited By Mark Rand on 03/10/2018 15:21:12

JasonB03/10/2018 15:28:54
21629 forum posts
2493 photos
1 articles
Posted by Mark Rand on 03/10/2018 15:20:28:

So, while waiting for it to turn up:- how long will the trial be and how long will the educational series be

You mean to say you have not read No 273 which has this infodevil

Edited By JasonB on 03/10/2018 15:29:59

Martin 10003/10/2018 15:29:02
274 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/10/2018 11:34:06:

Cloud systems allow the software vendor to know what use people are making of the package so they can see when someone should be paying more or identify marketing opportunities.

Obviously different packages will suit different people, but I suspect you are exactly the sort of user Alibre are looking for!

Really the cloud should be nothing more than storage, but we all know it isn't. Somewhere, somehow we sign away rights so someone, usually the likes of Google can pillage our emails and search history and everything else we do online to force 'targetted' adverts upon us. Once upon a time google's doctrine was 'do no evil' they somehow forgot that a long time ago. Adblockers and no-scripting and even things like the TOR browser help somewhat.

With CAD & CAM they give us lots of 'cool' functionality sometimes 'for free' but that comes with a creeping intrusion into the very soul of a company or inventor. Even though I use F360 I really do not want Autodesk to know at all that I'm thinking of making product x with machine Y and months or years before product x is manufactured they know so much about product X they can cross reference me to public records or browsing history or whatever.

You'd hope with GDPR and the severe penalties it brings then things would be secure and free from prying eyes but I doubt it really is. Yet with ideas and designs in the cloud you should be secure from that sudden, sunday afternoon on the sofa laptop hard disk crash that wipes out months or years worth of work and takes down a fledgling company (or even a mature one with flaky IT infrastructure)

I've had Alibre trials in the past, never stuck with it because of the learning curve and lots of other things that need more of my attention that by the time it might have been useful the low cost of entry had simply evaporated and slinging 400 quid as opposed to the 99 quid it was a few months earlier was way beyond justifiable.

This extended trial might even persuade me to get a subscription to MEW

clivel03/10/2018 15:45:13
328 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by JasonB on 03/10/2018 15:28:54:

So, while waiting for it to turn up:- how long will the trial be and how long will the educational series be

Unfortunately some of us have to rely on international mail. If my magazine arrives on schedule, it should be here between the 16th and 22nd of October.

This of course doesn't take into account the not so occasional problem at Canada Post which can delay international mail a further month or two.

Which brings us to another point. If for example the trial expires on a fixed date rather than a certain period after installation, international readers could be losing a significant percentage of the trial unless it is for a few months in which case the point is moot.

Clive

David Jupp03/10/2018 15:49:43
790 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Muzzer on 02/10/2018 18:53:47:

I have some Geomagic / Alibre files that can't be opened unless I pay for a license, ….

Murray

Or just install an Alibre Design trial - it'll allow opening and export, after the trial expires it'll still work as a viewer.

Mark Rand03/10/2018 16:10:55
1081 forum posts
12 photos

So, while waiting for it to turn up:- how long will the trial be and how long will the educational series be

Doesn't seem to have made it all the way to warwickshire yet...

Neil Wyatt03/10/2018 16:19:59
18805 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles
Posted by Mark Rand on 03/10/2018 16:10:55:

Don't panic, my paper copy isn't here yet either.

Six months and we are planning on four decent length parts backed up by downloadable examples on here.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 03/10/2018 16:21:03

Mark Rand03/10/2018 16:25:15
1081 forum posts
12 photos

Ta, nicely! (as my mum always told me to say)

SillyOldDuffer03/10/2018 16:40:54
7686 forum posts
1694 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/10/2018 16:19:59:
Posted by Mark Rand on 03/10/2018 16:10:55:

Don't panic, my paper copy isn't here yet either.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 03/10/2018 16:21:03

Too late, I've already had hysterics and wet my pants. To whom should I write claiming compensation?

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest