Forum sponsored by allandale

The right tool for the job

quick and simple

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
pgk pgk13/09/2018 20:45:42
1139 forum posts
278 photos

Following on from SOD's thread where he comments that kids don't want him spending their inheritance on a 3d printer:

I need an odd shaped clip for the 3-point linkage on my tractor. Typically local agri engineer failed to stock one like that but it looks simple enough with a curved spring wire retainer.

Naturally I was going to make that from some scrap and buy in some piano wire. I had need to saw a slice off some old rusty hot roll so it was time for a new saw blade and you want a good finish so a new carbide endmill was in order. The piano wire is quite thick so naturally I needed to make a heavier duty bender. I've spent a few evenings on that project and it's going fine but if one's going to make a useful tool then it might as well look pretty and the best way to tidy it up is the new rotary table I bought for the job.

then I had to make a new set of -nuts and hold downs.

These clips probably cost £2-3 pounds so I've saved that by making everything out of leftovers and scrap and I should have it finished in less than 40 hours work.....

pgk

not done it yet13/09/2018 21:27:00
2044 forum posts
11 photos

A lynch pin? You would be hard pressed to spend more than a couple of quid for one, from any decent supplier!smiley

Can’t see where a rotary table could ever be used for making one, let alone ‘justified’ for the project.smiley

A bit of off-centre turning on a suitable piece of square stock, two drilled holes and a piece of high tensile fencing wire. Job done? Your ‘inheritors’ must be totally blind to your modelling needs! smiley Keep it up.

What category linkage?

pgk pgk13/09/2018 22:02:13
1139 forum posts
278 photos

To be fair it's a little more odd shaped than the simple ring of wire... it's a loop that curves half around one of the drawbars. The rotary table is to pretty-up the bending jig I'm making.. might as well make a multipurpose job.. and anyhow i've wanted a rotary table for a while and it was a good excuse. I was managing quite happily with an M8 bolt through the thing but that isn't the point...

pgk

Kiwi Bloke 114/09/2018 03:03:46
65 forum posts
1 photos

Keep it up! We're saving the planet!

A rather complex cast-iron baffle in our old log-burner eventually burned through. New spares no longer available (Blimey! Is it really that old?). The last replacement was stupidly expensive, so non-availability seemed almost a relief. However, winter was approaching and Something Had To Be Done.

Local engineers (Bodgeit, Bashit & Run) provided bits of plate for a pittance. The old buzz-box welder was eventually found, but then I thought that the TIG course that I had done should be put to use. Rather a lot of beer vouchers later, and I was the proud owner of a new TIG set, gas bottle, regulator, etc., etc. - and a beautiful baffle.

Now, that's what I call good value!

pgk pgk14/09/2018 06:41:15
1139 forum posts
278 photos
Posted by Kiwi Bloke 1 on 14/09/2018 03:03:46:

Keep it up! We're saving the planet!

A rather complex cast-iron baffle in our old log-burner eventually burned through. New spares no longer available (Blimey! Is it really that old?). The last replacement was stupidly expensive, so non-availability seemed almost a relief. However, winter was approaching and Something Had To Be Done.

Local engineers (Bodgeit, Bashit & Run) provided bits of plate for a pittance. The old buzz-box welder was eventually found, but then I thought that the TIG course that I had done should be put to use. Rather a lot of beer vouchers later, and I was the proud owner of a new TIG set, gas bottle, regulator, etc., etc. - and a beautiful baffle.

Now, that's what I call good value!

Just remember that come spring you'll want to recycle that old woodburner for the cast and fit a new more efficient modern one in its place to complete the cycle. I'm threatending OH with trading up the tractor once I've made this pin - I really need a bigger one...

mechman4814/09/2018 10:57:33
2060 forum posts
359 photos

Do you mean one of these?...

**LINK**

Look further at the bottom of page... 'lynch pin'...

George.

not done it yet14/09/2018 13:48:13
2044 forum posts
11 photos

No, that is the most common version which loops over the end of the shaft to retain the equipment on the link ams, or the pins through the top link, among other duties.

I think the one in question is for preventing a thread turning, so operating as a pipe version. Often used to secure top liks to desired length or the anti-sway bars at the correct length. Pin goes though the hole and the loop of wire clips to the circumference of the outer pipe.

Kiwi Bloke 115/09/2018 12:23:30
65 forum posts
1 photos

pgk pgk - Don't get me started on 'new woodburners'. The local clean air campaigners want us all to have new stoves with fire-brick-lined combustion chambers. The idea is that the higher fire-box temperature results in less particulate emission. But the idea is to let heat out into the room, through the walls of the fire-box, not up the chimney. The 'new' stoves are said to be 'more efficient', but efficiency is not defined. I'll continue to repair this old one, until it's like Grandpa's axe - it'll still be the right tool for the job.

Re tractor dilemma: Well, of course, if you make the pin a tad too big, the decision to get a bigger tractor sort-of makes itself, doesn't it?

pgk pgk15/09/2018 13:26:21
1139 forum posts
278 photos

Agree efficiency is a buzz-word for politicians.

I have two woodburners here.. the 12KW rated one indoors is ancient and constantly chucking logs into the thing with it roaring it has trouble keeping the room warm on really cold days and fills a huge ashpan. the newer 7KW in my shed (half the volume of the living area) is 'efficient' in as much as I start it going, as soon as heat bleeds into the room I bank it right down and open a window to keep temps breathable. I end up with a small pan of pure white dust like ash the next day. If I open all the vents it really does burn any residues off the glass completely and you'd burn your face looking at it from a few feet away..

pgk

Samsaranda15/09/2018 13:41:18
470 forum posts
4 photos

PGK, our inset logburner that we installed in our lounge 3 years ago is rated at 5 Kw but it don’t half chuck out some heat, our gas bill has plummeted since it was installed, we leave the lounge door open and the heat percolates right round the house. It has a smoke control fitted which means it burns hotter anyway and keeps the clean air campaigners happy, our four cats are always in the lounge whenever the fire is lit, the Siamese loves keeping warm in front of it but even he admits defeat and retreats to the sofa because he gets too hot, the modern wood burners are incredibly efficient.

Dave W

Adrian Giles15/09/2018 21:54:53
69 forum posts
26 photos

pgk pgk , they are called pipe lynch pins. A company called GS Products show them on their website.

pgk pgk15/09/2018 21:58:22
1139 forum posts
278 photos
Posted by Adrian Giles on 15/09/2018 21:54:53:

pgk pgk , they are called pipe lynch pins. A company called GS Products show them on their website.

I'll have to give my DIY one's a fancy name - something like 'wife lynched him pins'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Sept 5
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Shapiro
ChesterUK
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest