Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

First Thoughts on Anodising

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Hartland17/09/2018 09:51:11
2515 forum posts
40 photos

The anodising is graded as AA10, AA15, and AA25 denoting the depth and toughness, durability. ASA 25 for things like shop front surrounds. All done in the caustic bath and then anodised. A quick flash anosdising is not much use as it will wear away quite quickly. I have seen skirting boards 4 meters long being anodised for a building in London. some were rejeccted due to fading/change in colour over the lengths. Easily re-done, the colour, a bronze colour which was quite hard to keep the same through a batch.

Swarf, Mostly!17/09/2018 11:33:01
516 forum posts
41 photos

Re HARD anodising:

Many years ago I had visibility of a project that employed many aluminium alloy parts that were hard anodised. So, the following from memory:

It was found that hard anodised parts 'grow' by an amount that will prevent close fitting of parts but is not always easy to predict. It was also found that the hard anodising film is vulnerable at sharp corners and sharp edges. So sharp corners and edges had to be rounded.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Neil Wyatt17/09/2018 16:34:54
17326 forum posts
690 photos
77 articles

I was boring an eyepiece adaptor out to take 1.25" eyepieces. When I got to just over 31.75mm a piece of 1 1/4" tube would just fit, but my collimator with a body made of the same tube, anodised, wouldn't. I was taking sub 0.01mm cuts to creep up on when it would just fit without force.

Of course now I've anodised the adaptor the collimator may not fit - but not important as it seem EPs are generally a few thou undersize while the 'sockets' are generally dead to size. Odd as usually shafts are to size and the hole adjusted to give the required fit.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest