Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

How long do you keep

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane28/08/2018 19:41:42
307 forum posts
70 photos

How long do you keep Model Engineers magazines.

I have been reading my book "Model Engineering a Foundation Course" by Peter Wright and knew that I had another somewhere and I did this one is "Introducing Model Traction Engines Construction" by John Haining anyway while looking for it I also found so many Model engineers magazines going back as far as 1953.

how long do you keep copies after reading them or do you only keep those that hold something of interest.

Among these I also found quite a few doubles.

9d per copy blimey how prices have changeddevillaughlaughlaugh

John Rudd28/08/2018 19:57:55
1367 forum posts
58 photos

Of the number of issues of ME/MEW I've bought over the years, many have been 'recycled' , I've retained those issues that have something of future value, even those have been thinned out prior to moving house recently....Amazing how much 'stuff' is accumulated over the years..and we still havent finished moving from the 'old' house...

Edited By John Rudd on 28/08/2018 19:58:20

RevStew28/08/2018 19:58:16
87 forum posts

Just got the Peter Wright book. My copies of 40's and 50's ME magazines, I have ready the pages off. I doubt I'll ever part with them. Any of the latest issues I keep buying in the vain hope of finding something I like I just give away or bin/recycle.

Derek Lane28/08/2018 20:10:44
307 forum posts
70 photos

This is what I found copies of Me, MEW and EIM

I must have know something back then when I collected these.

dscf0519.jpg

dscf0520.jpg

So now i need to work through them and see what is worth keeping.

Michael Gilligan28/08/2018 20:31:43
14990 forum posts
638 photos
Posted by Derek Lane 2 on 28/08/2018 20:10:44:

So now i need to work through them and see what is worth keeping.

The biggest problem I've found is that ME, in particular, had a nasty habit of putting the final paragraph of a good article in an odd corner of some remote page.

MichaelG.

Peter G. Shaw28/08/2018 20:51:54
1040 forum posts
43 photos

I have all mine neatly boxed up in old large Quaker Oats boxes, two boxes per whatever I can get in them, with a sticky label on the front giving details of first and last in the series. From memory, I started in the 1980's with ME (stopped in either the 1990's or the 2000's), I have all the WME copies, and all the MEW copies. In addition, I have made a digital database of any item which may possibly be of use. Currently I have 2500 entries, each entry giving date, issue, page, main & subsidiary title, series or not, and a brief description, which may also include comments from other people, eg letters. This means that I can, depending on the query, look up to see if I have a database entry about the query and then retrieve the appropriate copy(ies).

In addition, I have scanned all items which may have an immediate interest, eg our editor's modifications to the X2 mill, so I can print it out at will.

In respect of ME, I have removed all pure advertising pages, and that makes them somewhat thinner. MEW doesn't seem to allow the same.

Peter G. Shaw

Neil Wyatt28/08/2018 21:28:58
17344 forum posts
690 photos
77 articles
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 28/08/2018 20:51:54:

I have all mine neatly boxed up in old large Quaker Oats boxes,

Does that make you a regular subscriber?

Neil

Derek Lane28/08/2018 22:20:44
307 forum posts
70 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 28/08/2018 21:28:58:

Neil

It may do. but if they are kept in corn flakes boxes then he would be a cereal subscriber

blowlamp28/08/2018 23:36:01
1245 forum posts
82 photos
Posted by Derek Lane 2 on 28/08/2018 22:20:44:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 28/08/2018 21:28:58:

Neil

It may do. but if they are kept in corn flakes boxes then he would be a cereal subscriber

Cheerio, Derek.

Bazyle29/08/2018 12:51:42
4989 forum posts
198 photos

I use Wheatabix boxes and have two copies of a few but never three, that would bee too many.

Unlike mat magazines old MEs often have info that is valuable later on even if you don't realise it now. How often do we see queries about old loco construction series?
However anything software or cnc can get dated very quickly. An in depth article on a brand new lathe may seem of little value today when people can get the brochure, see the real thing at a show, but in 30 years when someone finds one in a shed it could be really valuable.

Perko729/08/2018 13:13:35
297 forum posts
24 photos

I have a collection of ME magazines from the 40's, 50's and 60's passed down from my grandfather. Some were a bit mangy but most in fair condition. I've sorted them all and put into shallow stackable clear plastic containers with lids which i got from the cheap shop. I put a couple of cloves in each one to repel moths and silverfish, and a sticky label on one end listing the date range.

Later magazines including current subscription to Australian Model Engineering are kept in upright cardboard document holders for now. Eventually they will get the same treatment as the old ME's if i can find containers of a suitable size, although some might get re-purposed as there's not as much in the later mags that i find as interesting to re-read as the old ME's. I'm just fascinated by the ingenuity and skill of many of the older generations, along with the variety and the fabulous drawings by JNM, LBSC and several others.

Nimble30/08/2018 10:48:22
33 forum posts

Too Long!

IanT30/08/2018 14:53:17
1435 forum posts
141 photos

I was very fortunate to recently acquire a complete bound set of ME's going right back to 1898. I also have a complete set of MEW and a pretty complete one of EIM too. They are my favourite casual reading material - ideal for a coffee break or when you have the odd ten minutes to pass (waiting for someone to get ready to go out for instance). There is a wealth of information and experience within them and I usually find something new every time I have a thumb through.

So I greatly enjoy having & reading mine - although I will now have to sort out my 'loose' copies (going back to the late 30's) and find a good home for them...

Regards,

IanT

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest