Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

What a waste!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rik Shaw25/08/2018 14:31:24
1310 forum posts
352 photos

I read about Vitrex radial hacksaw blades on here a couple of days ago and thought how handy one might be. It arrived this morn via Amazon courier. Is OTT packaging like this REALLY necessary? I think not!

Rik

vitrex.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 25/08/2018 14:32:04

Sherlock25/08/2018 14:43:58
52 forum posts
11 photos

Amazon, are well renowned for doing this unfortunately. Think they were even publicly pulled up on it on some documentary programme a year or two back where they promised to be more careful. Seemingly not eh, Yep, such a waste indeed.

Rainbows25/08/2018 14:54:07
632 forum posts
181 photos

In some warehouse there is a man with a bunch of boxes and a bunch of things to pack- I tend to imagine they will use the nearest box instead of getting off their seat to find a parcel bag

Brian H25/08/2018 15:16:10
1194 forum posts
87 photos

Agree entirely with you Rick about the packing, but are the blades any good?

Brian

OuBallie25/08/2018 15:16:47
1141 forum posts
660 photos

It's a cost cutting exercise that Amazon did some time ago.

They rationalised on the number of different sized boxes that keep in stock, but this really takes the proverbial.

A few sizes of padded envelopes wouldn't take up much space.

Geoff - At least those boxes are handy.

Brian G25/08/2018 15:25:10
557 forum posts
22 photos

According to the European Packaging Waste Regulations "Member States must ensure that packaging placed on the market complies with the essential requirements of Annex II:

• to limit the weight and volume of packaging to a minimum in order meet the required level of safety, hygiene and acceptability for consumers;"

Brian

Edit:  At least the plastic and cardboard elements are separate which enables recycling.  Too many padded envelopes these days consist of bubble wrap and paper stuck together.

Edited By Brian G on 25/08/2018 15:26:49

Weary25/08/2018 15:59:55
287 forum posts

It may be worth bearing in mind that lightweight small packages are more likely to 'go astray' or get delayed in transit. This is an additional financial and reputational hidden cost.

When I worked in courier shipping we regularly placed a small and/or lightweight customer package into a larger box or bag and/or made them up into a heavier weighted package or bag to reduce the chances of a (mechanical) miss-sort or of being misplaced or hidden in a physical sort. Lightweight 'envelopes' are murder to convey in a mixed package system as they easily disappear behind or between larger packages.

From a shipping point of view, although your package was rendered very volumetric, it makes sense to put it in a more significant box given the system that Amazon uses and the volumes passing.

Regards.

Phil

Andrew Tinsley25/08/2018 16:07:40
911 forum posts

But were the blades any good?

Andrew.

Rik Shaw25/08/2018 16:54:33
1310 forum posts
352 photos

"Is the blade any good?"

I haven't tried it yet but I'd need to attack a variety of materials before I could make a meaningful evaluation. Watch this space if interested.

Rik

PS. I only bought a single blade, I hate to think what size the delivery box would have been for a pack of ten.thinking

Nige25/08/2018 21:52:28
370 forum posts
65 photos

Having worked for Amazon packaging items I can say that the packaging for any item is specified by the system though it is allowable for the packer to reduce the size of the specified box if it is obviously far too big (or small). The packaging type is bar coded and is checked by the system as the package proceeds. There is limited space on a packaging line to provide space for every size and type of packaging. If the system specified packaging is obviously wrong it is supposed to be sidelined so the system can be updated with a more appropriate size but this usually doesn't happen as it slows an individual packers output on which they are measured. Small higher value item like jewellery are deliberately packed in larger boxes to disguise the contents. Smaller packets are also more easily 'lost' in just about any package handling system that involves human handling.

Farmboy25/08/2018 22:53:05
116 forum posts
8 photos

Doesn't make much difference how it's packed when Amazon 'logistics' just dump it round the back of a random house somewhere within a quarter mile of the destination angry 2

Mike Poole26/08/2018 01:16:25
2047 forum posts
47 photos

Amazon tracking assured me item had been handed to resident, it had not, replacement received. Neighbour came back from holiday and delivered the original package.

Mike

David Colwill26/08/2018 10:35:59
582 forum posts
32 photos

Perhaps if you order a pack of ten, they will come in a tea chest smile p

John Haine26/08/2018 11:09:45
2591 forum posts
133 photos
Photo in latest Which? of open box with camping groundsheet and enough spare space for 9 year old boy curled up!
SillyOldDuffer26/08/2018 14:27:54
4597 forum posts
987 photos

Nige might know for sure, but it's possible Amazon packers go 'next size up' when they run out of ready use small boxes. Simultaneously running short of small and medium boxes on the line could end in a small item being despatched in a large crate.

On balance I'd rather get my order in a big box on time than hang about waiting for Amazon to restock their packaging.

Roger Provins 226/08/2018 14:49:55
341 forum posts

I'd far rather have my orders come boxed with packaging than in a padded envelope. I can reuse the boxes and packaging for my own postings but not padded envelopes.

John Reese27/08/2018 02:46:40
772 forum posts

Just be glad the box didn't contain a bushel of styrofoam peanuts in addition to the blades.

richard 227/08/2018 08:05:52
127 forum posts

I gave up using Amazon a long time ago when I realised they were just "middlemen".

I now buy from the original dealer.

Delivery is better and I rarely have problems.

Richard 2.

Michael Gilligan27/08/2018 08:33:41
13823 forum posts
603 photos
Posted by Rik Shaw on 25/08/2018 14:31:24:

I read about Vitrex radial hacksaw blades on here a couple of days ago and thought how handy one might be. It arrived this morn via Amazon courier. Is OTT packaging like this REALLY necessary? I think not!

Rik

vitrex.jpg

If you had informed them that you're a model-engineer, they might have shipped it in a convenient copper tube devil

MichaelG.

http://www.recycling-guide.org.uk/rrr.html

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 27/08/2018 08:34:51

Alistair Robertson 127/08/2018 10:03:22
53 forum posts
6 photos

Last year I bought a Bluetooth USB adaptor from Amazon.

My wife said "what have you been buying from Amazon, there's a big box in the hallway"

A box was there with a size of about 300mm x 200mm x 200mm with no weight and as far as I could see no USB adaptor! My good lady had a look and found the adaptor in a 30mm square plastic bag tucked under one of the bottom folds of the box. Luckily no plastic beads to fly out this time!

Packaging and delivery must have been more than I paid for the adaptor!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest