Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Abrafiles (Tension files)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
D Hanna23/08/2018 10:05:30
42 forum posts
5 photos
I noticed a fellow member from Australia is asking about availability of Abrafiles in Australia etc in the last MEW mag. They have been extinct for many years now. If RICHARD CAINS is a member here or someone has contact details, send me a pm. May be able to spare a couple.

Edited By D Hanna on 23/08/2018 10:07:48

Paul Lousick23/08/2018 10:44:05
1151 forum posts
492 photos

Tungsten carbide rod saw blades are available at Bunnings hardware in Australia. (They may be in the tiling department of the store). Look for 152mm rod saw blade, made by Suttons.

Paul.

Paul Lousick23/08/2018 10:44:08
1151 forum posts
492 photos

-

Edited By Paul Lousick on 23/08/2018 10:46:39

D Hanna23/08/2018 14:05:27
42 forum posts
5 photos
I know Bunnings have those but that isn't what Richard is requesting. The ones he wants are the longer blades around 1/16" diameter.
Brian H23/08/2018 14:20:35
1194 forum posts
87 photos

Check for Vitrex Radial Hacksaw Blades. Not sure about Ozz but are available through Amazon.

Brian

Mark Simpson 123/08/2018 16:38:12
68 forum posts
20 photos

I've found the Hacksaw and Fret saw blades from these guys are a great replacement for Abra Files. Only posted from the US, but work well and you can remove the hacksaw ends to thread through a small hole, they last a surprising while even in steel (no connection only a satisfied customer)

https://bestwayproductscompany.com/products.html

Maybe a UK distributor will appear

Michael Gilligan23/08/2018 17:53:39
13824 forum posts
603 photos

Thanks for that link, Mark yes

The availability of 100ft coils is particularly interesting.

MichaelG.

Doubletop24/08/2018 09:56:13
409 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Paul Lousick on 23/08/2018 10:44:05:

Tungsten carbide rod saw blades are available at Bunnings hardware in Australia. (They may be in the tiling department of the store). Look for 152mm rod saw blade, made by Suttons.

Paul.

So they are!! Thanks for that **LINK**

Pete

Nigel Graham 219/06/2019 18:49:01
359 forum posts

"Vitrex Radial Hacksaw Blades" are the TC tools made and sold for cutting tiles, and readily available from builders' tool stockists. They are abrasive, not toothed, so might not be suitable for metalwork, certainly not softer metals that will just clog them.

Nigel Graham 219/06/2019 20:53:18
359 forum posts

The Japanese blades advertised by Axminster look like copies of the Bestway product, but note the small-print on the Axminster site: "... case-hardened..."

That suggests they are made from mild-steel, and intended for cutting only thin wood.

Michael Gilligan19/06/2019 22:24:13
13824 forum posts
603 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 19/06/2019 20:53:18:

The Japanese blades advertised by Axminster look like copies of the Bestway product, but note the small-print on the Axminster site: "... case-hardened..."

That suggests they are made from mild-steel, and intended for cutting only thin wood.

I am almost certain that the 'Japanese' blades ARE the Bestway product

... they are clearly marked as being Made in the USA

https://www.bestwayproductscompany.com/products.html

... There are several interesting variations on the theme

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 19/06/2019 22:29:39

Nigel Graham 225/06/2019 18:46:19
359 forum posts

I tried a simple test with a 300mm Vitrex TC "blade" this afternoon.

With end fittings rather like wire crimp terminals it fitted the hacksaw easily, but would need a short slot cutting if used entirely within the material.

It had no problems with an oddment of RHS steel angle 6mm thick, but as it is abrading its way with a kerf of perhaps 4mm, it's not the most efficient method.

It had no problem with a small scrap of aluminium-alloy bar, apart from a bit of clogging.

I tried it on the back end of an HSS lathe tool, with a view to suitability for roughing out a form tool, or cutting a length of tool-steel to make a boring-bar bit. Starting the cut neatly was hard because it skidded all over the place, but eventually I made a groove perhaps 6mm deep before stopping - no point wearing the blade further. An angle-grinder with a cutting-disc would be the better choice, and a lot cheaper.

So these abrasive tools are better than nothing, but not ideal replacements for round tension files for making cut-outs in metal plates.

'

Anyone tried the Bestway files yet?

Michael Gilligan25/06/2019 20:10:48
13824 forum posts
603 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 25/06/2019 18:46:19:

Anyone tried the Bestway files yet?

Yes ... I found them very good on Perspex, and on hard leaded engraving brass ; but less effective than the old Abrafile blades on harder/slippery materials.

[note: Alan Wood appears to have fared better]

For me: The blades are pretty good; the end-terminations gimmickey; and the saw frame appalling [*]

Hence my interest in the availability of 'blade by the yard'

MichaelG.

[*]

If you have smaller hands it may be O.K.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 25/06/2019 20:11:49

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest