By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Bench Mounting a Warco WM280V

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MM22/08/2018 15:34:29
3 forum posts

I have just taken delivery of a Warco WM280V and have spotted an immediate flaw in my planned home for the lathe.

The chip tray supplied seems to be designed to mount on two separate pedestals and as such the lip around the chip tray and the coolant drain prevents simply mounting the machine on a flat bench top as I had intended.

Has anyone else come up against this problem and advise a tried and tested solution?

I am considering making a plinth from an engineered timber (like the benchtop) or perhaps some aluminium tooling plate (comes milled flat) to act as large spacers between the bench and the chip tray.

Thanks in advance - Mike

D.A.Godley22/08/2018 22:36:27
90 forum posts
35 photos

As you say , a spacer is needed between the Lathe bed mounting feet and the bench top .

I simply cut some ply to fit the space beneath the drip tray , but which supported the feet. The securing bolts went through the tray , the spacer and the bench to ensure complete stability , though the fixing holes in the feet were a challenge to get the bolts through ! .

not done it yet23/08/2018 06:02:10
3548 forum posts
15 photos

First port of call should be Warco, I would suggest? They should know the best way for bench mounting.

ChrisB23/08/2018 07:00:13
428 forum posts
171 photos

Had the same issue with my WM280, I mounted mine on flat bench like you intend to do. For the drain hole I cut the bench top with a hole saw (just in case I'd use it in the future) and put a plywood spacer under the tray, then drilled the holes for mounting the bench and was done.

**LINK**

MM23/08/2018 17:00:44
3 forum posts

Cheers, it's not just me then.

I'll sort something out now I know I'm not missing anything obvious, I thought maybe they had a flat tray for bench mounting and this style for cabinets.

I did ask Warco too, more to see if they acknowledge that they know of this issue. As for the value of posting here vs asking Warco ... if everyone did that the forum would not exist and no one would know if there are some inherent design issues.

not done it yet23/08/2018 18:50:58
3548 forum posts
15 photos

Mike,

What did Warco suggest - or did you not ask the right question?

Had you included that information, you would not have received such a simplistic answer to your post.

It is common that the simple approach to a problem is overlooked. For instance, I replied in a similar vein, on the subject of nibbler blades. But my post was, seemingly, ignored, or the poster has since actually asked the suppliers of the nibbler for replacement blades, and has quietly disappeared.

Others ask about dismantling machines, still under warranty, before asking the suppliers first. It happens a lot.

MM23/08/2018 19:21:50
3 forum posts

No reply yet. It is only 24hrs though.

Another reason for asking on here (apart from self-assurance) was that I have quite a low expectation for the answer that I may or may not receive.

ChrisB23/08/2018 19:22:08
428 forum posts
171 photos

NDIY, Warco supply the tray to fit their pedestal, so if you do not take their pedestal and not knowing what sort of bench or pedestal you have, my guess is they wont be able to help you much - still there's no harm in asking them... On the other hand, asking here you're bound to find someone who had the same or similar issue and could guide you through - that's what happened to me in the first place and I found the help I needed.

not done it yet23/08/2018 20:42:12
3548 forum posts
15 photos

Chris B,

Yeah but....they do say ‘ready to go’ on delivery and the pedestal is an optional extra at £230. So they are expected to be bench mounted as the floor is not a real option! Did you not ask Warco? I would have done if I was not sure. They must be the experts for their products. Forum advice can range from good to ugly and not everyone can sift out the less than useful advice.

So you ask for advice, give them details and hope they give you some good hints. Better done before purchase, than afterwards, mind!

paul rayner23/08/2018 21:24:54
134 forum posts
40 photos

MM

i put 2 10mm steel plates under mine and bolted the lathe through the drip tray,plates & bench

regards

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
LMES
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest