By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian George 118/08/2018 20:09:07
10 forum posts

Hello All, I am a complete novice and have no real expectations of carrying out any very delailed work. I have been given a Myford ML10 and have been learning to screw cut. All going well so far but I do have a few questions, fortunatly I’ve found a wealth of information and knowledge on here. So a big thank you for all the help I’ve already had without asking.

David George 118/08/2018 21:55:40
502 forum posts
184 photos

Hi welcome to the forum where are you based and what are you interested in, steam, tools etc.

David George

BDH18/08/2018 22:18:59
880 forum posts
74 photos

Welcome Ian and congratulations on being given a lathe, that's a good start!. Please ask your questions here and we'll endeavor to help.

It's also worth typing in the keywords of any query, into the search box at the top. If there is something there at least it means that you don't have to wait for an answer.

Brian

Andrew Johnston18/08/2018 22:40:09
4142 forum posts
502 photos

Ian: Welcome to the forum. Wow, starting off by screwcutting is pretty ambitious. thumbs up It can help to know roughly where you are based. No point someone in the UK offering to nip over and help hands on if you're in the antipodes!

Andrew

Ian George 119/08/2018 00:28:29
10 forum posts

I'm based in aldershot, hampshire. My interest is old motorcycles and I expect to be only making the odd spacer etc, however, I read up on screw cutting and had a go cutting a 1/2" bss thread and got the basics, obviously I ruined a few by making basic mistakes but I got the General principles.

JohnF20/08/2018 12:01:05
684 forum posts
72 photos

Welcome Ian, what motorcycle[s] do you have? i have several but all Ariels from 1932 to 1955. Plenty of info on here you only need to ask and it seems you have a good grasp of lathe work - screw cutting is one of the more complicated processes -- as Andrew says its an ambitious start, well done!

Always a good idea to fill in the basics on your profile IMO for future reference.

John

Ian George 120/08/2018 12:58:47
10 forum posts

I have a 1947 Matchless competition trials G3L 350, a 1941 Matchless G3L 350 dispatch riders bike, a 1954 Royal Enfield trials 350 Bullet and a 1961 Triumph twin trial competition bike. All are running apart from the trials Matchless as that is undergoing restoration.

The lathe is all about being able to aid this and other work related projects rather than becoming a hobby.

I’ve only carried out screw cutting on fairly coarse external imperial threads so far, I’m investigating internal threads at the moment but with the full understanding that trying to learn an engineering trade overnight, just isn’t going to happen.

I expect plenty of mistakes and a large collection of “scrap” that “ might come in handy” before I achieve anything.

Neil Wyatt20/08/2018 13:15:49
14643 forum posts
624 photos
72 articles

Welcome to the forum Ian.

Those aren't mistakes, they are 'valuable learning experiences'

Neil

Ian George 120/08/2018 19:36:31
10 forum posts

I'm starting to get a collection of "valuable learning experiences" 🙂

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Shapiro
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest