Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

machine mart CL oil level sight glass

CL. 430

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Davies 614/08/2018 11:59:43
24 forum posts

Hi ,does any one know what size thread it is on the Machine Mart Metal turning lathe CL430 oil level sight glass ,thanks Brian

CL430

richardandtracy14/08/2018 12:13:54
938 forum posts
10 photos

I have one but don't know the thread. I presume it's because you broke it?

If it is because it's broken, take the bits out of the hole & measure the thread with a thread gauge, or measure the thread on any of the fragments you can get out. As a temporary measure, you could carefully drill & tap an acrylic sheet cover over the hole, seal with silicone, allow to cure & fill to the centreline with oil. This would enable you to use the lathe to make a replacement measured from the fragments.

If you use acrylic bar to make the replacement, be aware that acrylic bar available in this country is usually extruded & has built-in stresses that make it crack (if not immediately, then eventually) when machined. You can anneal the acrylic by simmering in water on the stove top for 30 mins per inch in diameter and then allow to cool in the water off the stove. Once done, the acrylic won't crack. Alternatively buy clear cast acrylic bar (virtually unobtainable in the UK - I have looked for pen making).

Regards,

Richard.

Edited By richardandtracy on 14/08/2018 12:17:47

Howard Lewis14/08/2018 12:24:36
2217 forum posts
2 photos

The original part is shown as No. 74 in the Parts List, Part No: 30000474, if you want to order one.

Howard

Brian Davies 614/08/2018 12:48:48
24 forum posts

Hi , I have ordered and received 2 new sight glasses but machine mart have changed the size of the original to a bigger glass it’s still the same part number but bigger than original so I am going to gave to drill and rethread or helicoil for the new one to fit. My tap and die set and helicoil goes up to M12 and it’s much bigger than M12

Brian

Howard Lewis14/08/2018 15:58:40
2217 forum posts
2 photos

That is annoying! No hope of obtaining replacements to the original size?

If you can determine the original thread, any chance of making an adaptor that can be sealed into the machine, with a thread to match the new (current) parts. They may stick out but at least you will be ready for any later mishaps.

Sounds like catch 22, lathe is disabled without sight glass, but is needed to turn up and screwcut the adaptors!

Plastic or cork bungs spring to mind. The loss of oil is a price that has to be paid!

It would help others who may eventually have the same problem if you could please post on here, the thread sizes, and lengths.

Howard

Brian Davies 615/08/2018 11:51:58
24 forum posts

Good morning all, well I have just had a lengthy conversation with machine mart who now say that there has been a big mistake made on their side ,they said that the person who told me the size had altered was ill informed and gave me the wrong info and sent out the wrong sight glass ,they are going to send me 2 new sight glasses free of charge but will take 10 days to get to me , the size is the same now as the original and the bloke I spoke to was full of apologies,so the first bloke I spoke to was full of crap ,I’m just glad that I didn’t drill and re tap the hole to accommodate the glass that I was sent to me , what I don’t understand the part that I was sent the wrong one has the same part number

Brian

Howard Lewis16/08/2018 10:29:09
2217 forum posts
2 photos

Failure to distinguish between Mk 1 and Mk2 ?

but, hopefully, all will end well!

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest