Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Milling Table "fault"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Hulme04/08/2018 17:22:35
750 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by anthony smith 4 on 04/08/2018 09:53:35:

HI ROGER LOOKING AT YOUR PHOTO OF MILL THE HEAD IS TILTING TO FRONT OF THE MACHINE I WOULD SHIM THE FRONT OF THE COLUMN WITH A FOUR THOU SHIM MOUNT THE DTI IN THE CHUCK

AND CHECK AGAIN THIS WILL TELL YOU IF YOU HAVE TO INCREASE THE SHIM OR SHIM THE REAR OF THE COLUMN CASTING

Unless the head lifts as the Y traverses this will make

NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL!

:D

Roger Williams 204/08/2018 17:41:23
340 forum posts
1 photos

Hello all, Im taking it to pieces tomorrow. The reason Ive come across this error now is because Ive always assumed every thing tobe correct, until I measured a piece I had machined for accuracy and was shocked. The DTI base is clamped under the head, rigidly too. Ive reasoned that if the column, which is bolted up solid, were at 45 degrees to the vertical, it wouldnt make any difference. Unlikely I know !.

The mill is in supeb condition, and not really over used. I did most of my machining using a Jones and Shipman vice (stupidly sold!!!) which is probably why I havent noticed anything . All the later work ona vice machined from castings by me, which is out on it sliding surface by this 10 thou .

Anyway , everybodys advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

SillyOldDuffer04/08/2018 19:56:48
7897 forum posts
1725 photos
Posted by Nick Hulme on 04/08/2018 17:22:35:
Posted by anthony smith 4 on 04/08/2018 09:53:35:

Unless the head lifts as the Y traverses this will make

NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL!

Nice one Nick, I've been educated.

My earlier point was about the risk of misunderstanding measurements. How ironic that it was me who was confused. (Again)

blush

Dave

Ian Hewson04/08/2018 21:32:03
314 forum posts
25 photos

Reground the surface of my magnetic table by mounting the head of my quorn in the spindle of the mill and taking small cuts, came out ok.

I.M. OUTAHERE05/08/2018 00:48:11
1468 forum posts
3 photos

Also check that the table surface is ground flat , sit your parallel on it and shine a light behind to see if there any gaps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest