Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Mc Huish lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
richardandtracy27/07/2018 15:25:35
938 forum posts
10 photos

A neighbour has a very elderly lathe, made in London and has the name 'Mc Huish' on its nameplate. I've looked for info on them, but can't find anything about them.

Does anyone know anything about them or point me to info?

The lathe has about a 4" centre height, about 25-30" between centres, with a very early looking babbit headstock with back gears open to curious fingers. It does thread cutting. The motor is not original, at 750W and seems to run the lathe quite fast, over 1000 rpm. The overall look to the castings is 1920's, but not really sure. The legs look like they could be modified for a treadle, but the lathe never had one. There are no dials on any of the feeds. The saddle has a half nut, about a 1/4" pitch leadscrew of 1.25" diameter. The cross feed seems to have a leadscrew of about 1/10".

I'm curious, nothing more as it's a name I have never heard of.

Any info greatfully received.

Regards

Richard.

d

Edited By richardandtracy on 27/07/2018 15:27:12

David George 127/07/2018 21:05:49
917 forum posts
307 photos

Hi Richard maybe a picture or two mightn't help.

David

richardandtracy27/07/2018 21:19:31
938 forum posts
10 photos

The lathe isn't mine, and at the moment I am having difficulty in getting photos onto the web anyway - tablet can take photos but won't talk to the forum for pictures & USB on the laptop won't talk to anything, so I can't get photos from my camera to a PC.

I have looked on 'lathes.co.uk' but no mention of the make, so I suspect it wasn't wildly popular.

Regards

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest