By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 11th

Is this the right place for me?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jeff Allan27/07/2018 09:56:41
15 forum posts

I'm restoring an old wooden yacht and I'm finding many parts that need machining, for which I plan a Myford lathe of some flavour in my home workshop. The problem I'm having is in finding a support forum. I'm a hobby engineer, working from home, and every time I search an issue, seem to end up at ME.

I've subscribed, but I guess the question is do you want me here? I can see a wealth of Myford and machining issues, to which i can benefit, and contribute, but I'm not building a Model.

Nige27/07/2018 14:55:21
370 forum posts
65 photos

It certainly is the right place Jeff 😊 There are all sorts of interest here, motorbikes, cars, model aircraft and others and probably boating people as well; you will fit right in and welcome 😀

Samsaranda27/07/2018 15:06:05
784 forum posts
5 photos

There is a wealth of information and discussions here on this forum, the greater diversity of subjects leads to an enrichment of knowledge all round, your are definitely not out of place on here.

Dave W

richardandtracy27/07/2018 15:08:27
938 forum posts
10 photos

Allan,

I first joined years ago when I planned to build a Junk rigged steel Bruce Roberts Spray 36, and this seemed the friendliest forum with appropriate skills on the machining side. Since moving house, the yacht building option is now impossible, but the applicability of the skills has remained even with my reduced ambition hobby of pen making.

Regards

Richard.

Brian Oldford27/07/2018 15:10:07
561 forum posts
4 photos

Not wishing to decry the excellent support you'll get here; you could also check out the yahoo group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/myfordlathes/conversations/messages or the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/917590484920210/

All can be useful.

Jon Lawes27/07/2018 15:46:25
324 forum posts

It sounds like you are in exactly the right place.

Ady127/07/2018 15:53:15
3463 forum posts
513 photos

Are you mad? Are you completely Bodmin?

Then yes, you're in exactly the right place

Sounds interesting btw

John Rudd27/07/2018 15:53:33
1365 forum posts
58 photos
Posted by Jeff Allan on 27/07/2018 09:56:41:

I'm restoring an old wooden yacht and every time I search an issue, seem to end up at ME.

I've subscribed, but I guess the question is do you want me here? I can see a wealth of Myford and machining issues, to which i can benefit, and contribute, but I'm not building a Model.

Of course we want you here....nobody is made unwelcome...as they say, the more the merrier....yes

John Haine27/07/2018 15:58:43
2600 forum posts
133 photos

Why not give it a go? You could start by looking at various threads on Myford lathes and the alternatives and what is best value for money these days. All kinds of questions get asked and answered here and I would guess that only a small proportion relate specifically to models. I used to have a Corribee and made a new bow roller and a pivot boss for the lifting tiller (the old one being mazak and having broken) in stainless on my Myford lathe and mill.

3404627/07/2018 16:42:19
724 forum posts
7 photos

Jeff

I restore and build replica Bowman steam launches for friends as a fun hobby ie at no cost to them.

I make complete replica engines from scratch and I do it all on a unimat 3. I can turn 50mm bar max.

Not being sure how I would get on with the engineering side as opposed to the boat side, I bought a new unimat an ebay a couple of years ago for £500 complete with mill rather then spend out on a more expensive Myford.

If I got on well with it I would then upgrade to a Myford size,

Not upgraded as my little Unimat does all that is required of it.

You are definitely in the right place for help and advice on machining so do stay on board.

Bill.

Michael Gilligan27/07/2018 17:27:25
13974 forum posts
605 photos
Posted by Jeff Allan on 27/07/2018 09:56:41:

I'm restoring an old wooden yacht and I'm finding many parts that need machining, for which I plan a Myford lathe of some flavour in my home workshop.

[ ... ] but I'm not building a Model.

It may be that my brain is addled today, Jeff ... but I don't recall you mentioning the size of this wooden yacht [either on this thread or your Myford one]:

Could you please clarify ?

I had assumed that it was a 'real' full-size one, but others have a different view.

Whichever ... You are very welcome here.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 27/07/2018 17:28:02

3404627/07/2018 17:52:04
724 forum posts
7 photos

Michael - good point.

I assumed it was a model one being a model engineering forum - the fact that it may be a full size one did not register.

Jeff - it it is a full size one then please ignore my previous post.

Bill

Jeff Allan27/07/2018 18:03:21
15 forum posts

Thank you, that's a very fine welcome. Just didn't want to be diluting the central theme or focus of the group. After posting I noticed car and motorbike restoration themes.

On web searches for any of the metal working issues I'm looking at, I seemed to end up in an ME forum. Of course if i had any sense I'd just take the jobs to others and get them done, but there's no fun in that is there!

And so to work...

It's a 1962 Laurent Giles design, wooden, 28' 6", sailing yacht. All pretty sound but needing repairs. Current project - I have a lovely old manual two-speed Simpson Lawrence deck winch for the anchor. Some of it is bronze, quite a lot of it is a galvanised casting. Unfortunately it had seized. I'll post some photos in a specific thread, but it has a clever set of gears and is beautifully functional. It took a long day of bashing with heat to break it down into it's basic parts. It's then needed some re-threading of shafts and fittings. It still needs new bushes and some bronze pins. So not too complicated but good enough excuse to hunt around for a small lathe. I've also been forging my own bronze bolts from rod, for keel repairs, and would like to tidy the heads. There are plenty of other simple and not so simple metal working projects ahead. Inevitably at some stage, I will have to tackle some stainless 316, but for now bronze or mild steel.

All this on top of the basic carpentry, laminating frames, paint systems, etc.. Great fun!

XD 35128/07/2018 06:45:02
1325 forum posts
112 photos

Welcome too the loony bin Jeff !

If you dig deep enough you will find subjects covering everything from astronomy ( yeah i got it right this time ! ) to zoology and everything in between so i don't see why boat / yacht restoration can't be discussed if it hasn't already .

Don't forget to post some pics of your yacht and some of the things you are working on !

Ian.

Brian H28/07/2018 07:42:41
1217 forum posts
91 photos

Welcome Jeff, it'll be nice to read about another different subject. I've done a bit of sailing in my time so I'll be following with interest.

Brian

Hopper28/07/2018 10:02:15
3695 forum posts
73 photos

Ah, one of those 1:1 scale models. You are in the right place. Lots of us on here who restore vintage machinery of the 1:1 scale, ranging from motorbikes to tractors to hifi turntables and of course boats/ships of various types. Welcome to the forum. If you end up with a Myford, plenty of good help on here on that topic for sure. There is something particularly satisfying about using vintage machinery to restore other vintage machinery.

Ian S C28/07/2018 10:14:40
7447 forum posts
230 photos

Hopper beat me too it, but building at 12 inch to the foot is just large scale modeling. You will read of some here who proclaim that they don't do brown stuff(wood that is), ignore them.

Don't get absolutely hung up on Myford, a good one is OK, but from what I see from afar is your likely to be "fleeced".

Here'img_20170510_0001 (640x426).jpgs the last boat I did any engineering on, it now resides in Australia

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 28/07/2018 10:17:52

Ady128/07/2018 10:30:38
3463 forum posts
513 photos

Any pictures Jeff?

Edited By Ady1 on 28/07/2018 10:31:06

Neil Wyatt28/07/2018 12:39:28
16556 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

Welcome to the forum Jeff,

I think we are split 50/50 between those who mostly make models and those who mostly make other things, but with a big overlap.

Neil

Howard Lewis28/07/2018 13:46:14
2325 forum posts
2 photos

Another Welcome!

A VAST array of knowledge and expertise here, on all sorts of subjects.

Although my first lathe was a ML7 currently, Myfords do have premium, (in my view, somewhat unjustified, although fantastic work has been done on them)

Have a look at some of the newer far eastern machines, and F W I W, buy one a bit larger than you, at first, think you need. Buy from a reputable supplier, who will provide service and spares back up if required, and will try to solve any problems that you might encounter. There are hordes of folk on here who can help with advice, and if close enough, with practical help.

Purely my comment; would stainless steel be less liable to corrosion than bronze for your keel bolts?

Salt, plus dissimilar metals can cause some quite damaging corrosion, especially cuprous (copper/brass/bronze) and Aluminium alloys. (There are folk who are very much more knowledgeable on metallurgy, than I, around here)

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest