Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale

Microsoft Windows 10S - One to Avoid?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cornish Jack17/07/2018 18:01:20
817 forum posts
101 photos

Given the number of Apple machines sold and the apostolic fervour of those who have them, a web search for Apple problems generates a remarkably large return. Maybe it's only the lucky ones who try to spread the word?

Of the dozen-plus machines I have built and bought over the last 30 years, the most reliable was the first - a Tiko, 386 SX, 4 Mbs RAM, 40 Mb HD etc. with Dos 5 and Win 3. Subsequently it has been a 'Curate's Egg' experience - good in parts. I tried the much vaunted Apple and found the 'arm and a leg' regime beyond my earning capacity , and reason. Value for money makes Linux unbeatable but I still think that OS2/Warp offered the most well thought out user interface.

rgds

Bill

Ian Hewson17/07/2018 18:29:36
206 forum posts
14 photos

I hope you don’t regard my posts telling of my long experience against your short experience of Apple as “apostolic fervour” Jack, or shouldn’t I tell you of them?

Neil Wyatt17/07/2018 18:55:16
14407 forum posts
611 photos
70 articles
Posted by Vic on 17/07/2018 17:47:18:
Posted by Ian Hewson on 17/07/2018 15:36:19:

The use, Neil, is that it works, and you don’t have to create threads about its problems.

Yes quite correct Ian. smiley

A Dell all in one starts about £450 and an iMac starts at about £1050. So somewhat over double Neil but it comes with free software to get you up and running straight out of the box so why do you always have to exaggerate to try and make your point?

Compare the cost of a cheap but perfectly usable W10 laptop with the cost of a Macbook Air, OK now closer to 1:4 than 1:5, but I think my Toshiba was about 1/5 of what I paid for a Macbook around the same time.

Michael Gilligan17/07/2018 19:10:07
11738 forum posts
517 photos

Neil,

Is this thread drifting into politics [as distinct from Politics] ?

... or perhaps religion ?

Either way: Whilst Dave's original post was useful and timely ... I think enough is enough.

MichaelG.

Vic17/07/2018 20:44:55
1716 forum posts
10 photos

Then there’s this.

“Just 5 percent of IBM’s Mac users needed to call the help desk; In contrast, an astonishing 40 percent of PC staff request tech support help“.

**LINK**

Neil Wyatt17/07/2018 21:27:45
14407 forum posts
611 photos
70 articles
Posted by Vic on 17/07/2018 20:44:55:

Then there’s this.

“Just 5 percent of IBM’s Mac users needed to call the help desk; In contrast, an astonishing 40 percent of PC staff request tech support help“.

**LINK**

Yes. There was lots of publicity for that in 2015, I'm sure it was totally unrelated to this 2014 initiative:

Apple/IBM Partnership

Neil

Nick Clarke 318/07/2018 17:26:19
72 forum posts
1 photos

Then there’s this.

All this recognises is that a greater proportion of PC users needed help than the Mac users. For example if the PC users are low level clerical users just given a computer and similar their computer knowledge might be low.

If a user was sufficiently high level to be able to choose a far more expensive option or a graphic artist, media creator or mac developer they might be more independent as a computer user.

or perhaps any of many other different situations.

The statement is not justified by any valid evidence.

SillyOldDuffer18/07/2018 18:52:15
3303 forum posts
658 photos
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 18/07/2018 17:26:19:

Then there’s this.

All this recognises is that a greater proportion of PC users needed help than the Mac users.

The statement is not justified by any valid evidence.

My wooden spoon is out!

'All this recognises is that a greater proportion of PC users needed help than the Mac users' suggests two possible conclusions:

1. Mac is easier to use and more reliable than Windows, and/or,
  2. Stupid people are more likely to use Windows than Mac.

I prefer Linux. It's used by smarty-pants who don't need any help at all...

smiley

Seriously though, the thread is only alerting that Windows installed on a new machine by the vendor might not quite be the Windows you were expecting. If you know your way round Windows and are happy with it, I suggest the best alternative to Windows 10S is Windows 10.

Dave

Russell Eberhardt18/07/2018 19:18:53
2304 forum posts
79 photos

I prefer Linux. It's used by smarty-pants who don't need any help at all...

smiley

I've used Linux for over 15 years now and never phoned the help desk. Oh, there isn't one. There are however forums (fora??) for each distro that are full of helpful experts.

Russell

Neil Wyatt18/07/2018 20:33:07
14407 forum posts
611 photos
70 articles
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 18/07/2018 19:18:53:

I've used Linux for over 15 years now and never phoned the help desk. Oh, there isn't one.

So that's why I've been stuck on hold for eleven years...

I hope it was a freephone number I dialled.

N.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Sept 5
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest