Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Microsoft Windows 10S - One to Avoid?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer16/07/2018 17:42:03
7565 forum posts
1681 photos

If you're thinking of buying a new computer, you may want to check which version of Windows 10 it comes with. There is a new kid on the block.

Windows 10S (Note the S) is a slimmed down go-faster version of Windows 10. It is claimed to be more secure.

By default 10S only runs software downloaded from the Microsoft Store. This may not be what you want or need : many applications are not available via the Microsoft store, and you are obliged to provide personal details. 10S also locks you into Edge, imposes other constraints, and may not be compatible with existing equipment:

'Many hardware accessories and peripherals (such as printers) that work with Windows 10 today will work with Windows 10 in S mode, but might have limited functionality.'

Early reports suggested that 10S would be permanently unable to install programs other than those made available via the Microsoft Store. However, the current version of the FAQ says it will be possible to switch 10S out of S mode one-way. Unfortunately it is not clear what effect rejecting 10S has on other features.

I thought Microsoft's FAQ on Windows 10S was unsatisfactory. It starts with a caveat: 'Details subject to periodic updating; check back here for the latest information.'. This is unhelpful if you are trying to make a fact based decision. More worrying, I do not think the FAQ unambiguously confirms that 10S can be made to behave like an ordinary unrestricted Windows 10 installation.

If about to buy a new computer with Windows 10S I suggest first reading Microsofts FAQ and then searching the web for up-to-date reviews. The product may not be for you!

Dave

Ed Duffner16/07/2018 18:13:34
830 forum posts
94 photos

It looks like Windows trying to be Apple's OS i.e. everything proprietary IMHO and could be a tester to see how punters accept it before Microsoft roles it out as a norm'.

Regards,
Ed.

mechman4816/07/2018 18:21:16
2933 forum posts
460 photos

As usual MS can't leave well alone... 'if it aint broke, DON'T fix it!... angry 2 ... there again I s'pose MS development team have to be seen to be doing something, otherwise what would they do all day.

George.

Brian G16/07/2018 18:26:03
786 forum posts
34 photos

According to Microsoft support **LINK** (last updated 8 May 2018) "You can switch out of S mode easily at any time through the Microsoft Store within Windows. There is no charge for switching the mode." I understand however that this is a one-way process.

This would be a complete change to standard Windows 10.  S mode itself cannot be made to behave like normal Windows.

Brian

Edited By Brian G on 16/07/2018 18:27:42

Trevor Crossman 116/07/2018 18:27:27
152 forum posts
18 photos

Interesting! This appears to be another example of the arrogant nature of modern mega-corporation's attitude towards its users...….the 'we will decide what you can and cannot do with our product that you pay for', Where one of these corporations go, the others eventually tend to follow.

Modern living is increasingly forcing us to use on-line systems in place of 'olde-worlde face to face and paper transactions', such that we seem to be sleepwalking towards a sort of electronic totalitarianism.

Trevor

Thaddeus Swarfburn III16/07/2018 18:47:52
21 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Trevor Crossman 1 on 16/07/2018 18:27:27:

Interesting! This appears to be another example of the arrogant nature of modern mega-corporation's attitude towards its users...….the 'we will decide what you can and cannot do with our product that you pay for', Where one of these corporations go, the others eventually tend to follow.

Modern living is increasingly forcing us to use on-line systems in place of 'olde-worlde face to face and paper transactions', such that we seem to be sleepwalking towards a sort of electronic totalitarianism.

Trevor

On the other hand though, corporations and educational institutions, which are increasingly the majority of MS's customer base now that everyone seems to be using tablets at home, like this stuff. IT departments can waste hours trying to deal with issues caused by users installing unapproved software and schools can't afford to deal with repairing damage that curious or malicious students have done. Horses for courses. Apple has done very well in schools despite being more expensive as it's more of a closed ecosystem.

I'm by no means an MS apologist. I dual boot Linux Mint and Win 10, using Win 10 only for CAD or when the wife wants to work from home. I rage when MS wants to do an update NOW and ties up the computer for 15 minutes without my permission.

Enough!16/07/2018 22:17:27
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Trevor Crossman 1 on 16/07/2018 18:27:27:

Where one of these corporations go, the others eventually tend to follow.

More a case of where Apple has gone, Microsoft is following imo.

Farmboy16/07/2018 22:38:27
147 forum posts
2 photos

On the plus side, if MS freeze out the third-party software developers, maybe more of them will turn to Linux as their OS of choice and we won't need MS . . . or Apple, or Android teeth 2 . . . ok, I know Android is a version of Linux . . . sort of ...

Mike.

Vic16/07/2018 22:48:39
2919 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 16/07/2018 22:17:27:

More a case of where Apple has gone, Microsoft is following imo.

Posted by Ed Duffner on 16/07/2018 18:13:34:

It looks like Windows trying to be Apple's OS i.e. everything proprietary.

Not really. As Apple users on here know, they are free to run any compatible software on their Macs. Sure, if you don’t download the software from the Apple store the OS warns you of the risks of installing it but doesn’t stop you provided you have administrator access.

If Microsoft were really copying Apple they would give their OS and productivity software away for free as Apple has done for several years.

Jim Guthrie17/07/2018 08:37:43
102 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Vic on 16/07/2018 22:48:39:stop you provided you have administrator access.

If Microsoft were really copying Apple they would give their OS and productivity software away for free as Apple has done for several years.

But Microsoft don't have the advantage of charging over-inflated prices for hardware. smiley

Jim.

Vic17/07/2018 09:25:54
2919 forum posts
8 photos

Yes, it’s always been an advantage for Apple to supply both the hardware and the software.

Perhaps Microsoft should have entered the desktop hardware business. wink

clogs17/07/2018 09:31:13
592 forum posts
12 photos

actually, I got a proper personal letter the other day !!!!!!!!!!!!!

what ever next.........hahaha........

can't remember the last time I wrote 1, sadly.........

Ady117/07/2018 09:54:35
4743 forum posts
715 photos

Windows XP rules devil

Neil Wyatt17/07/2018 10:53:35
18777 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles

What's the use of a free OS if you can only run it on Apple's machines that cost five times as much as an equivalent PC anyway?

Neil Wyatt17/07/2018 10:54:33
18777 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles
Posted by Ady1 on 17/07/2018 09:54:35:

Windows XP rules devil

So does Aethelred the Unready, if you consider time to be non-linear...

Neil

Russell Eberhardt17/07/2018 15:06:42
2706 forum posts
86 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/07/2018 10:53:35:

What's the use of a free OS if you can only run it on Apple's machines that cost five times as much as an equivalent PC anyway?

I've not tried it but I believe you can run OSX on a PC using Virtualbox running under Windows or Linux. Can't imagine wanting to do it though.

Russell

Ian Hewson17/07/2018 15:36:19
308 forum posts
25 photos

The use, Neil, is that it works, and you don’t have to create threads about its problems.

Neil Wyatt17/07/2018 16:29:12
18777 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles
Posted by Ian Hewson on 17/07/2018 15:36:19:

The use, Neil, is that it works, and you don’t have to create threads about its problems.

Allegedly... I've banged my head against enough problems with my daughter's two successive Macbooks to realise that the concept that 'it just works' is mythological.

Worst of all was when the Macbook simply wouldn't start. After two days trying to get it to reset there was a complex procedure to book it in with a certified reseller. They spent twenty minutes and couldn't get it to wake up either so it went (luckily under warranty as under 12 months old) back to Apple. Two weeks later it came back as 'couldn't reproduce fault'.

My conclusion was it was stuck in a loop and only escaped when the battery ran flat while waiting to be looked at - of course unlike a normal laptop you can't remove the battery to force a reset..

And don't start me on expensive phones that become useless when a forced OS update fills the memory, or renders the microphone inoperative.

Neil

Ian Hewson17/07/2018 17:38:04
308 forum posts
25 photos

Should have remembered not to walk under ladders with your luck Neilcheeky, been Apple since 95 and never looked back.

Pass on my old machines to the nephews and niece's, old iBook still doing homework for 16 year old without problems, as is the old square iMac.

On the iphone 8plus now after the iPods and original iPhone.

I may have been blessed, but in my experience what I wrote earlier is the truth for my friends and I, would recommend Macs to anyone.

If you need to you can also run windoze on a Mac, along with Apple, but never found the need.

Edited By Ian Hewson on 17/07/2018 17:39:00

Vic17/07/2018 17:47:18
2919 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Ian Hewson on 17/07/2018 15:36:19:

Yes quite correct Ian. smiley

A Dell all in one starts about £450 and an iMac starts at about £1050. So somewhat over double Neil but it comes with free software to get you up and running straight out of the box so why do you always have to exaggerate to try and make your point?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest