Forum sponsored by allandale

Age related macular degeneration.

My opinion that it can be avoided.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dick H11/07/2018 19:32:01
47 forum posts
1 photos

Many thanks to Ian for the clear explanation.

As too the injections, a friend had a brush with these injections some years ago in trying to save an eye. At the time the clinic here in S. Germany was using Avastin in an off-label use and diluting it themselves. They had patients set up on a production line, the injections had to be given under full operating theatre cleanliness conditions. Thus one vial of this stuff (Avastin) went a long way. The cost difference between Lucentis and Avastin still makes me wonder. The question was debated in 2015, with even the BBC taking notice.

As to my friend, in the end the problem had another cause so the treatment didn´t work.

Perhaps a reference to the "Amsler Grid" would be useful as it is something that can easily just be printed out.

DickH

Ian Skeldon 211/07/2018 22:17:11
285 forum posts
27 photos

I would advocate that everyone aged 60 and over along with anyone who has a family member with Glaucoma, to have regular eye tests, any good optician will pick up AMD, raised IOP, Cataracts and diabetic retinal changes along with other conditions,early on. If the refraction test shows that you need a new perscription, you don't need to buy your new glasses from that optician, and the perscription is yours to take away.

As Dick has said, if you google 'Amsler Grid', you should be able to print one out, if the lines are distorted in any way, get someone else to look at it, if it all looks square to them, you need to see an optician, fairly quickly.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 11/07/2018 22:19:07

Nick Clarke 312/07/2018 07:40:49
66 forum posts
1 photos

A word of caution -

Although I work with the blind and visually impaired every day I'm afraid I made a daft mistake.

My optician gave me an Amsler grid to monitor my sight and it was very distorted - when I looked at it through my varifocal glasses!

After a moments panic I looked at some print and realised the issue was with the glasses not me! - subsequently confirmed by my optician.

herbert punter12/07/2018 09:43:01
76 forum posts

One thing I should mention which is common to all forms of sight loss including macular degeneration and cataracts is that when the brain doesn’t receive the expected signals from the optic nerves, it can make up its own visions from the memory. This is known as Charles Bonnet Syndrome and can be really alarming if you aren’t prepared for it.

Bert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 5
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest