By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

fire warning

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
bricky08/07/2018 17:13:45
445 forum posts
48 photos

Today whilst woeking on the mill I glanced towards my bench and could see a small column of smoke rising off it.I was bemused by this as I hadn't been on the bench today.I rushed over and a biro was nearly in half and was melting into the tray it is kept in.I then spotted the cause ,a couple of bench standing magnifiers which for years have stood there in front of the window,and with the sun at the right height to clear the fence half over my window there could have been a fire.If there had been paper in the tray there would have been.I was so lucky to be in the workshop to spot it, the consequences could have been disasterous as my wifes studio is a mansard roof above the workshop.How it hasn't happened when I haven't been in there I will never know.Just a cautionary warning.

Jon Lawes08/07/2018 17:17:01
avatar
403 forum posts

A lucky escape!

Brian Sweeting08/07/2018 17:45:39
443 forum posts
1 photos

Lucky escape indeed.

Other fire creators can be magnifying mirrors and bullseye glass windows.

Dave Halford08/07/2018 18:04:57
933 forum posts
9 photos

and glass bottles

Rik Shaw08/07/2018 18:32:44
avatar
1365 forum posts
373 photos

"Other fire creators can be magnifying mirrors and bullseye glass windows."

Not forgetting crystal balls.

Some years ago I called into a hippy type shop in Bedford High Street for our joss (hides the curry smells right?). I told the proprietor that I had smelt smoke as I came in the door and it was definitely NOT joss.

On investigating we found that a 3” diameter crystal ball in the window display was focusing the sun’s rays and doing its best to ignite the ethnic drapes.

She was quite pleased that I had stopped her shop from burning down but looked at me a bit darkly when I told her that if the thing had been working fit for purpose she would have had prior warning.

Rik

PS. Her shop is still there and she will verify the above.

Ady109/07/2018 00:02:12
avatar
3862 forum posts
522 photos

I had been using a womans concave magnifying mirror in the garden to get something out of my eye and put it down afterwards

The boss came out with a cup of tea and we sat there chatting

My leg suddenly felt burning hot but I ignored it because nothing logical could do that, it must be a nerve thing

Eventually I was in *##*ing agony and had to jump away yelping

Yes it was that mirror, trying to laser beam a hole in my leg

Sam Stones09/07/2018 01:53:12
avatar
770 forum posts
305 photos

Although there was no risk of fire, this reminds me of a school excursion to a horticultural property in Hutton (Lancs).

We were encouraged to climb to the top of the ten-foot ladder of a steel structure to examine one of these.

**LINK**

That was in the late 40’s, and even now would be quite a novelty, recording Lancashire sunshine.cheeky

Sam

Edited By Sam Stones on 09/07/2018 01:53:42

Neil Wyatt09/07/2018 09:36:18
avatar
Moderator
18237 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles
Posted by Sam Stones on 09/07/2018 01:53:12:

Although there was no risk of fire, this reminds me of a school excursion to a horticultural property in Hutton (Lancs).

We were encouraged to climb to the top of the ten-foot ladder of a steel structure to examine one of these.

**LINK**

That was in the late 40’s, and even now would be quite a novelty, recording Lancashire sunshine.cheeky

Sam

Edited By Sam Stones on 09/07/2018 01:53:42

I photographed the one at CHatsworth earlier in the year, with the vague idea of making one, wish I had now!

Windy09/07/2018 09:51:29
avatar
792 forum posts
153 photos

Another common fire risk are disposable lighters while at Kingsbury water park with the hydro on a hot day the following happened.

A disposable lighter which I use a lot for firing the burners exploded on the bench and was like a rocket so keep them out of direct sunlight.

daveb09/07/2018 11:24:23
623 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Windy on 09/07/2018 09:51:29:

Another common fire risk are disposable lighters while at Kingsbury water park with the hydro on a hot day the following happened.

A disposable lighter which I use a lot for firing the burners exploded on the bench and was like a rocket so keep them out of direct sunlight.

I read an artical some years ago, a footballer was fatally injured when a lighter exploded in his breast pocket.

John Alexander Stewart09/07/2018 12:40:19
777 forum posts
52 photos

As a kid, a friend's father was building change rooms at their outdoor pool. Roof not on yet, so he had clear plastic sheet over the rafters to keep the rain out, and off of the carpet below.

Of course, after a rainy day, the plastic sheeting filled with water, the following sunny day allowed pin-point tracking of the sun as a thin black (charred) line was found on the carpet that evening.

The roof was finished forthwith, but the char-lined carpet was left as a reminder.

(of course, first line of questioning was "what the h**l did you kids do THIS TIME??? for once, we were actually innocent!)

Perko709/07/2018 13:30:13
353 forum posts
25 photos

I had a bus seat almost catch fire from sunlight through a plastic bottle of water left on the seat of bus parked in the sun. Saw the vinyl seat smoking before realising what was causing it.

larry phelan 109/07/2018 18:25:42
825 forum posts
17 photos

Fire service gave out warnings about this danger two weeks ago,even about mirrors left on window sills.

pa4c pa4c09/07/2018 18:49:51
16 forum posts

Well, my contribution.

A good friend was awoken at four am a couple of months back (freezing cold, dark nights). His wife thought she could hear fireworks.

Fromm the CCTV footage from the in Garage feed it became obvious as to the cause. A Solar Powered "Battery Conditioner" had blown one of it's diodes and fed the current back to the (plastic) solar panel. The Vintage Bike it was connected to, the one next to it, the Lathe, 60 years of tools and tooling and the car were a total loss. Garage needed demolishing too. Thankfully it was a stand alone building.

I no longer leave any battery chargers connected overnight.

V8Eng09/07/2018 21:34:36
1474 forum posts
28 photos

Be careful where you keep or put aerosol cans as well.

Edited By V8Eng on 09/07/2018 21:35:30

Samsaranda10/07/2018 08:17:33
avatar
968 forum posts
5 photos

Aerosol cans can be very dangerous if subjected to heat in an incerator or bonfire, they go off like hand grenades, don’t ask how I know.

Dave W

HOWARDT10/07/2018 09:06:11
595 forum posts
15 photos

Back in the 50s my father used to shave in the kitchen in the morning and his shaving cream was in a tube which resided on the window cill. The window panes were all heavy bobbled glass as it looked onto the neighbours kitchen. One day the shaving cream tube caught fire from the sun just at the right angle to the glass. Don't know what the tubes were made of in those days but it was melted by the fire of the external label finish. That black burnt mark stayed there for years after.

Hopper10/07/2018 09:15:47
avatar
4804 forum posts
105 photos

Blimey, that English sun must be something vicious. I'm glad we don't have anything like it over here in Australia. Never heard of any of these types of incidents happening here. Good thing too, or there would be fires and burnt carpets and exploding shaving cream tubes everywhere. I guess you guys will all be happy to see the rain return and you can all stand down from fire watch.

pgk pgk10/07/2018 09:39:31
1913 forum posts
288 photos
Posted by Hopper on 10/07/2018 09:15:47:

Blimey, that English sun must be something vicious. I'm glad we don't have anything like it over here in Australia. Never heard of any of these types of incidents happening here. Good thing too, or there would be fires and burnt carpets and exploding shaving cream tubes everywhere. I guess you guys will all be happy to see the rain return and you can all stand down from fire watch.

There's a big difference .. you only get the sun at night.

pgk

Nick Clarke 310/07/2018 09:41:24
avatar
886 forum posts
30 photos

I have read in an old ME (can't remember which - will have to hunt) a warning about a welder who had a gas lighter in his pocket that was set off by a spark, exploded and killed him.

This caused some discussion in the letters pages until the editor was forced to write a retraction as the whole thing was a hoax and had never happened!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest