By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

Kiln specs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom Stilwell16/06/2018 23:18:01
2 forum posts

Hi all, I have recently acquired a Gallenkamp fr520 kiln that was being disposed of at my work. I'm hoping to get it up and running but was wondering if anyone has any spec sheets for it. It looks pretty old to me and I can't find any information online. Specifically I'm worried about possible asbestos insulation and subsequent safety implications. Any info would be great. Many thanks, Tom

BDH17/06/2018 11:59:53
754 forum posts
66 photos

Tom, the asbestos will not be a problem provided it's not disturbed (if it is, indeed, asbestos).

Brian

not done it yet17/06/2018 17:44:18
1874 forum posts
11 photos

You willbe lucky to find the original spec sheets for it. Ask Gallenkamp?

“Goggle” muffle furnace, rather than ‘kiln’.

Likely a wire wound element embedded in a ceramic refractory casing.

Single phase? What type of plug? How heavy is the cable rating?

Picture? Dimensions?

Possibly external panels may be of a hard asbestos-containing sheet material (like old ironing boards), but doubt there is any loose asbestos insulation inside.

Is ‘getting it up and running’ just mean it needs a plug fitting? Or is it currently non-operational for some other reason?

I had a gallenkamp muffle furnace. Not sure of model. It was about 4 - 4.5kW, as I recall.

Trevor Crossman 117/06/2018 18:36:22
83 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Tom , I had a Gallenkampf muffle furnace until a few years ago, I cannot remember the model but it had a double counterbalanced 'plug' door and the controller was built in to the front below a shelf . Not sure of power rating but it ran quite happily from a 16 amp socket. I seem to remember that the insulation casing was a material called syndanyo ? and the elements were laid in channels in the ceramic blocks, other insulation being ceramic fibre, There was no asbestos. I found all this out when dismantling it to fix a new thermocouple.

It was a big heavy thing like this Image result for gallenkampf muffle furnace

Nick Hulme17/06/2018 20:22:58
523 forum posts
26 photos

That looks very similar to the Griffin furnace sold in the UK.

Tom Stilwell19/06/2018 18:36:31
2 forum posts

Great responses - thanks for the info everyone! I think that answers my questions nicely really. The furnace is working and is getting up to around 1000C, by up and running I just meant start using it really. It looks very much like a smaller version of the one in your picture Trevor so that's reassuring to know about the materials. I'm not sure exactly on the power rating but it'll certainly do for my needs.

not done it yet19/06/2018 23:36:40
1874 forum posts
11 photos

Count your meter turns or flashes for load? Or plug it into a measuring plug/socket power meter (everyone should have one!). 13A plug got rather warm when I plugged in my old kiln, but did not blow the fuse even though way over the limit.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
ChesterUK
Shapiro
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition