By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

College Engineering Supply Castings Alternatives?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Ellis 518/05/2021 16:23:03
51 forum posts
9 photos

Michael has kindly worked out that the castings are 565, not 585.

Still looking for drawings or a pic of the innards of a made one !

Cheers

Mike Poole18/05/2021 17:36:29
3075 forum posts
72 photos
Posted by Hopper on 07/06/2018 05:54:05:

I made my own Myford-sized angle plates from a piece of scrap 6" x 4" angle iron from the local tip recycle shop. The thickness of the steel is well thick enough to make small angle plates, say the usual 2" x 4" and the like. I cut the material down to size in a friction disc cut-off saw. Made the slots with a combination of drilling, hacksawing, milling and filing, depending on my bent on the day. Raw angle iron is not perfectly square so the two flat surfaces were machined with a flycutter held in the lathe chuck and the angle plate bolted to the cross slide. A bit of hand scraping with blue on a glass plate finished them off just so.

Made a versatile dividing head body entirely from bits of scrap steel welded together too. So there are alternatives to castings.

A friend of mine is a brilliant welder/fabricator and it is amazing how he approaches a job, a machinist seems to think about removing material to reveal a finished article whereas a fabricator adds material to reach the required item followed by minimal machining as required.

Mike

IanT18/05/2021 17:41:17
1899 forum posts
184 photos
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 07/06/2018 10:46:23:

Why not buy some cheap Chinese angle plates. In my limited experience. The ones I have seen are not square and the slots are rough. Just treat them as castings and machine them properly.

If the castings are made available then go that route. I don't think that economics come into it. Just a way of gaining valuable experience!

Andrew.

Same is true of a Keats Plate I purchased - a bit annoyed when I finally got around to using it and thought "I'd better check it, just in case". It's on the TUIT list....

Peter Ellis 519/05/2021 09:57:43
51 forum posts
9 photos
Posted by Gas_mantle. on 23/06/2018 13:51:33:

I've bought wheel castings from the ebay guy so I can say he is a genuine seller and the items I've bought from him have all been great.

I am amazed that it is proving to be so difficult finding anything on these vice castings when thousands must have been made in colleges alone. The design is not showing up anywhere !

Cheers

Howard Lewis19/05/2021 11:26:24
5348 forum posts
13 photos

No doubt, there are many folk who have made various items from C E S castings who still have the drawings, and would be prepared to lend them for others to make the particular device in question.

Lending does not contravene copyright laws.

Copying is allowed for personal study (Hence copies often end up in the workshop covered in greasy fingerprints! )

Howard

Russell Eberhardt19/05/2021 16:38:40
2710 forum posts
86 photos

When I bought my first milling machine, about 17 years ago, I followed Harold Hall's "Milling a complete course" and found it very instructive. The first project after making T-nuts was an angle plate, again using the CES castings. While buying chinese angle plates is quicker and cheaper that doesn't give a beginner the same experience.

I commend the OP for trying to take that route.

Russell

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest