Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Alba 1A Shaper.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveb29/05/2018 20:03:47
623 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Lathejack on 26/05/2018 22:09:31:

I remember the rows of used, and seemingly unwanted, shapers. They always had quite a few Boxford models in stock.

When the UK schools curriculum dropped all forms of practical work and disposed of their metalworking equipment there were thousands of shapers on the market, many of which had never been used. It was difficult to GIVE the things away. There has been a resurgence of interest in recent years. I blame ill considered articles in MEW for the current high prices.

blush

David Ferguson 212/08/2018 19:59:17
1 forum posts

Hello, My first post on the site. Newbie to model engineering but I've finally decided to give it a go. I recently purchased an Alba 1a shaper. I got the thing off ebay for £500. It seems like it is in pretty good shape but there is one thing that is baffling me and I was hoping someone might be able to help. The clutch lever I've got on my machine isn't really a lever but just a push rod. I'm sure it's not original. It doesn't actually do anything except plug the hole. No doubt I'll need to make something to get this clutch lever working but I've got no idea what it should look like. I think it must be some sort of cam that pushes the rod through to the clutch. There is a threaded hole perpendicular to the shaft but I'm still not any wiser of what the whole mechanism is supposed to look like. I'm hoping someone with one of these shapers will be able to let me know what the mechanism looks like or maybe some photos of it so I can get enough of an idea to make something to work.

Andrew Firman19/09/2018 18:07:24
34 forum posts
18 photos

David Ferguson You might find this Alba !A teardown thread useful

.https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/alba-1a-teardown-inspection-318418/?highlight=alba+a1+-+teardown

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest