Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 17

Multi page threads.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul White 324/05/2018 11:02:50
81 forum posts
17 photos

Grumpy hat on: Neil or other knowledgeable person.

I have noted that with some multi page threads selecting the thread brings up the latest page with the posting, this would seem to be the obvious desire of the of the person selecting the post.

This is by far the exception, most threads take the enquirer through a series of actions to get at the latest post in a particular thread.

Can the enquirer change all threads to always go to the latest post, as would be, in my opinion the ideal?

Here's hoping.

Paul.

Ady124/05/2018 11:20:07
3334 forum posts
425 photos

Bookmark this link in your toolbar

**LINK**

Then use "latest forum posts" links on the right of the page

Edited By Ady1 on 24/05/2018 11:21:32

Paul White 324/05/2018 12:22:17
81 forum posts
17 photos

Ady,

Many thanks for your short precise response.

I cant make your link work, can you please expand on the action required of me?

Paul

Bazyle24/05/2018 12:39:53
4167 forum posts
171 photos

Just under this post is "Latest Posts". Click on this and bookmark the page you end up on.

SillyOldDuffer24/05/2018 12:40:27
3414 forum posts
669 photos

Ady's link takes you to the list of most recent threads, which is a good start. However, you probably want to select how an individual thread opens as well, either with the first post (the oldest), or with its most recent.

When you are logged in, try clicking top-left Settings->My Account. That should give you Website Preferences and allow you to change the default thread start behaviour.

By the way, you can't win. If you start with the earliest post you have to wade through the whole correspondence. (As 'What did you do today' is up to 48 pages by May, this may take some time!) If you start with the most recent post, you risk making a fool of yourself by repeating a point that's already been made. Extra embarrassing when you find you repeated a gaff thoroughly debunked by another 20 posts you hadn't read either. Don't ask how I know...)

Dave

Paul White 324/05/2018 13:17:11
81 forum posts
17 photos

Bazyle & Dave (SOD),

Thanks for your input, problem now solved, I'll take my grumpy hat off.

Dave, the fact that you can't win is well established in my experience.

Edited By Paul White 3 on 24/05/2018 13:18:27

not done it yet24/05/2018 14:21:46
2241 forum posts
11 photos

On some forums one can arrange for the posts to be shown from most recent downwards. A much more useful system as no scrolling down the last page is required.

Paul White 324/05/2018 14:39:17
81 forum posts
17 photos

NDIY,

Fully agree, perhaps someone in authority will take note and save all our keypads some wear and our time wasting.

Neil Wyatt24/05/2018 18:31:25
14723 forum posts
628 photos
72 articles
Posted by Paul White 3 on 24/05/2018 11:02:50:

Grumpy hat on: Neil or other knowledgeable person.

I have noted that with some multi page threads selecting the thread brings up the latest page with the posting, this would seem to be the obvious desire of the of the person selecting the post.

This is by far the exception, most threads take the enquirer through a series of actions to get at the latest post in a particular thread.

Can the enquirer change all threads to always go to the latest post, as would be, in my opinion the ideal?

Here's hoping.

Paul.

Go to your profile ---> my account

Select 'default to first' or 'default to last' to suit your preference.

You have my permission to become 'ungrumpy'.

Neil

Neil Wyatt24/05/2018 18:32:22
14723 forum posts
628 photos
72 articles
Posted by not done it yet on 24/05/2018 14:21:46:

On some forums one can arrange for the posts to be shown from most recent downwards. A much more useful system as no scrolling down the last page is required.

Turn your monitor upside down

SillyOldDuffer24/05/2018 21:01:33
3414 forum posts
669 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 24/05/2018 18:32:22:
Posted by not done it yet on 24/05/2018 14:21:46:

Turn your monitor upside down

CTRL-ALT-leftArrow rotates the screen on some versions of MSWindows. Really good fun to do while a workmate is out to lunch!

Simon Williams 324/05/2018 21:18:54
290 forum posts
56 photos

I don't understand the last post/first post default selection, I've chosen "display most recent first" option in my profile, and if I click on "What did you do today" that comes up on the last page with the most recent post shown first. (Edit - the page is ordered in date order, last entry last on the page.  My mistake)  Not so with "The Workshop Progress thread",if I click on that I get post number 1 i.e the oldest as the first entry.

As I've long ago realised that computers work differently for me than they do for most of the rest of the population (I can kill Tesco's computer system by joining the back of the queue at the check out) I've long since given up worrying about it! But it would be nice to feel there was logic or control - or even intention - in how this computer stuff responds to my ham fistedness.

Does anyone else notice that motorway matrix signs flash erratically as you approach them? They do for me!

Edited By Simon Williams 3 on 24/05/2018 21:23:54

Bandersnatch25/05/2018 01:31:42
1074 forum posts
38 photos

Note that you only get the latest page of a multi-page thread if you are logged in when you go there. Otherwise you get the first page.

Why does this site lately routinely log me out (at least once a day) even though this is the only machine that I use to access it and I check "Remember Me " ? Never used to be like this. Had to log on (again) to reply to this thread.

I'm grumpy.

Paul Lousick25/05/2018 04:08:01
874 forum posts
404 photos

If the thread opens at the first page. How hard is it to click on the page index icon "Last" at the top of the page ????

No need to scroll thru all of the pages to get to the end.

Mick B125/05/2018 09:19:00
767 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by Paul Lousick on 25/05/2018 04:08:01:

If the thread opens at the first page. How hard is it to click on the page index icon "Last" at the top of the page ????

That's what I do, and it's easy.

PLEASE don't "*improve*" the system!!!

Mark Rand25/05/2018 10:10:15
581 forum posts

I, like many others in the Western Hemisphere, was taught at school to read from the top of the page to the bottom. I really can't stand top posting or anything that emulates it.

Bah Humbug!

Paul White 325/05/2018 10:14:25
81 forum posts
17 photos

Hello all.

I would just like to say what a joy it is to get what you ask for (well almost). The page is entitled " LATEST POSTS"

not- thread containing latest post. Having to scroll down the page is the justification for the "almost" above.

Bandersnatch25/05/2018 16:59:21
1074 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Paul Lousick on 25/05/2018 04:08:01:

Hmm .... must have missed that assertion.

Neil Wyatt25/05/2018 18:03:27
14723 forum posts
628 photos
72 articles
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 24/05/2018 21:18:54:

I don't understand the last post/first post default selection, I've chosen "display most recent first" option in my profile, and if I click on "What did you do today" that comes up on the last page with the most recent post shown first. (Edit - the page is ordered in date order, last entry last on the page. My mistake) Not so with "The Workshop Progress thread",if I click on that I get post number 1 i.e the oldest as the first entry.

As I've long ago realised that computers work differently for me than they do for most of the rest of the population (I can kill Tesco's computer system by joining the back of the queue at the check out) I've long since given up worrying about it! But it would be nice to feel there was logic or control - or even intention - in how this computer stuff responds to my ham fistedness.

Does anyone else notice that motorway matrix signs flash erratically as you approach them? They do for me!

Edited By Simon Williams 3 on 24/05/2018 21:23:54

Looks like you may have opened the list of threads before logging in.

Neil

Simon Williams 325/05/2018 19:28:42
290 forum posts
56 photos

Thank you Neil. You may well be right (post relating to having opened threads before logging on).

As ever, my talent for finding a way to screw up the programmer's logical intentions has prevailed.

Regards Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest